old vinyl

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
any ideas on cleaning the vinyl in my 65 barracuda. most of it is in good shape, just old and dirty.
thanks

I usually start with warm water and mild dish soap on a terry cloth rag or small dish sponge (Don't be afraid of the pastic scrub side of sponge if needed. Just try a small plac first). The dish sope will take off grease and dirt and wipe off easy with dry terrycloth towel. The dirt should come off when drying, if not try again. If that doesn't work you'll have to go into the leather cleaners at the store. I'd rather use the mild system first. Good Luck!

I have always found wesleys bleach white (used to clean tires) a great product. You could spray some on directly then use a small scrub brush .Hose off if you can and use a wash cloth if you cant.It will clean grimey stuf right off of vinyl. Hope this helps .

Be careful though.........Wesleys can actually burn the vinyl if not used correctly............

Simple Green goes easy on the vinyl compounds, and is used with a small scrub-brush at full strength.....scrub small areas at a time, wiping it off with paper towels before the area dries. After this, scrub lightly again with a diluted solution, drying thoroughly. Wipe it all with fresh water and a soft cloth when it's done.

When dry, treat all the vinyl with STP Son-of-a-Gun (it actually works a bit better than Armor All or similar treatments........Lay it on liberally, letting the old vinyl drink it in. Let it set "wet", and reapply to "dry" looking areas.

Next day or after a few hours, wipe it down with a soft cloth and VOILA' !!

No joke........we've used this method professionally for decades. Your vinyl will look better than new in some cases.

Good luck !

2 cups water, 1/2 cup ammonia, 2 tsbs hydrogen peroxide. I found this off the net for my boat vinyl, and use it on keyboards, monitor screens, everything. It's great.

Diluted vinyl cleaner from autoparts store...I had good luck using a very soft brush. Then go over with a damp cloth and repeatedly rinse the cloth in clean water, til you get all the soap residue off the vinyl.

-
Back