Old Wiring Harness touch up?

-

SSing

Reaction score
Took a look at the engine bay wiring harness of my ´68 Fastback.
It is very nice actually, but of cause looks like what you can expect out of an old car. It´s intact expect for I need to get a new piece for the 2-speed wiper motor. And here is my question.
If I buy a new wiper motor harness, you would clearly see a difference, when it is connected next to the old ones.
Can I use spray to touch up the old bulkhead connectors (and the new one)? Is this how you do it?
Some new wire harness tape is less of a problem, to make this part of the engine compartment look good.
Would like some good advice and know how here.
Thank you.

Likely not but pics would help.

In your case the front side harness assemblies are reasonably priced and plug and play. Why do you need to replace the wiper harness? There is more on that bulkhead plug as well.

Last edited:
Likely not but pics would help.

In your case the front side harness assemblies are reasonably priced and plug and play. Why do you need to replace the wiper harness? There is more on that bulkhead plug as well.

I need the one BH connector for the wiper motor because the one for the variable motor is different in that it has not male and female connections but rather four cables coming from inside the motor, and I don´t like having these cables joint. All I need is wiper motor power from this BH Connector.
But I´m listning to what you have to say... remember factory original look, and this I should be able to fix. Question is how do I make it look shiny and new_

First picture: After some cleaning it turned up quite nice, and I maybe try to find a used BH Connector for the two speed wiper motor. Don´t need any can spray here I think? Or would this make them look even “newer”? How do you do this?
What good quality Harness Tape do you use?
Second pic: Maybe if tape fits tight I don´t need to re tape the harness?
Thanks for helping me out on this...
20180121_132939 BH Con. min2.jpg

Wire harness. min.jpg

I rebuilt my whole harness in mine after a engine fire, soak the connectors in armor all for a few hours they come out great. Myself I use racers tape since it resists flame, the reason I had a fire was the harness rubbed through on the throttle cable then the tape was a dam fuse and spread the fire so for me it is a no no. Also you want to at least clean those terminals up or replace them to prevent problems in the future. I soak them in evaporust or CLR.

I need the one BH connector for the wiper motor because the one for the variable motor is different in that it has not male and female connections but rather four cables coming from inside the motor, and I don´t like having these cables joint. All I need is wiper motor power from this BH Connector.
But I´m listning to what you have to say... remember factory original look, and this I should be able to fix. Question is how do I make it look shiny and new_

First picture: After some cleaning it turned up quite nice, and I maybe try to find a used BH Connector for the two speed wiper motor. Don´t need any can spray here I think? Or would this make them look even “newer”? How do you do this?
What good quality Harness Tape do you use?
Second pic: Maybe if tape fits tight I don´t need to re tape the harness?
Thanks for helping me out on this...
View attachment 1715132632
View attachment 1715132633

Not sure what you are saying and maybe I am missing something in translation but if 2 speed or variable speed the terminal should be male. All engine side bulkheads terminals are packard type male. If your harness from the wiper motor has female packard terminals then replace them with male.

Not sure what you are saying and maybe I am missing something in translation but if 2 speed or variable speed the terminal should be male. All engine side bulkheads terminals are packard type male. If your harness from the wiper motor has female packard terminals then replace them with male.

Yes, sorry I missed your post.
These pictures show what I´m trying to say. The difference in how wires are connected to the motor.
First pic of harness for two speed motor.
Second picture, you can´t disconnect harness.
2speed wiper conn.jpg

variable wiper motor conn.jpg

You might want to pick up a Packard connector kit and crimpers, this one is great.
DELPHI PACKARD GM 56 SERIES CONNECTOR KIT #2 172 PIECES. | eBay

Yes that´s a nice kit, but the Harness I got is quite good, and I actually got the harness for the two speed wiper motor on first pic,(E-bay) so this is taken care of.
Unfortunately the company that sell this special harness tape from the link I got, did not ship to Sweden :(

Where can I found wire by the foot in correct color and "size"?

Should be mostly 16 a, 18 and 20 Ga, it is in the wiring diagrams.

Yes thank you, very good.
I tried to understand your gauge system, but found this a bit confusing when converting to metric system.
2/0 and 2 is a bit different?
2/0 is 0.365 inch diameter
2 is 0.258 inch diameter

AWG to Inch to Metric Wire Size Conversion Chart

That is a conversion for solid wire. You want to use stranded wire. Stranded wire size is calculated by combining the cross sectional area of the individual strands. American wire gauge - Wikipedia

2/0 is another way of saying "00" 3/0 is "000"
2 is smaller
8 is still smaller etc.

If you look at the wiring diagrams in your FSM, you will see the wire size for each circuit. For example, if the wire is labeled "M2F-18Y", the wire is #18 gauge and Yellow in color.

If you don't have a FSM, download one here: MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals

That is a conversion for solid wire. You want to use stranded wire. Stranded wire size is calculated by combining the cross sectional area of the individual strands. American wire gauge - Wikipedia

2/0 is another way of saying "00" 3/0 is "000"
2 is smaller
8 is still smaller etc.

If you look at the wiring diagrams in your FSM, you will see the wire size for each circuit. For example, if the wire is labeled "M2F-18Y", the wire is #18 gauge and Yellow in color.

If you don't have a FSM, download one here: MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals

Now I feel stupide. Yes I do have a ´68 SM, and when looking at the wire from battery to Starter, witch I thought I had a grip of, the label reads A1-6B-R. I felt this would be too small a gauge. So I thought 6 stod for something else. I figured 2 Ga. would be more likely. Maybe I had my application in the back of my head. A trunk mounted SS Battery, witch need a lot more wire, to feed the starter up front. Simply put the SM aside.
Now I know better. Thank you, great info.
This is going to be as good as I want it to be...

Hey it is why we have forums for sure we have all been there, glad you have it now.

A couple of more things.
#1 On several pics from dead stock harness from 67-69 a-bodies, I have noted solenoid wire (brown) running from starter relay to starter is not taped up with the rest of the wires feeding the driver´s side? What do you say?

#2 Is a 2 gauge positive cable enough to feed starter from a 135 amp hour battery mounted in the trunk.
(7 liter, 12,5 compression.)
Picture is FABO member DANA67DART´s who kindly posted it in an other tread.
solinoid wire.jpg

-
Back