older guys and your health

-
have an animal ? best medicine there is
I will second this , he keeps me on my feet and he is an unconditional loving fellow , he is 7 years old now and he knows when I am feeling bad or if I am upset, and he shows me a happy face witch changes my demeanor every time :)
Having a pet is a known fact to help our health and happiness witch keeps us healthier

10660248_919665048048842_4033093184563074081_n.jpg

Picture 222 110.jpg

I don't like getting old. I'm going in for double knee replacement in November. I guess that what working construction for 30 years gets you. But I'm just glad they can fix it now. Were lucky to live when we do. 50 years ago id be using a walker in a couple years. And animals are great always happy to see you no matter how bad your day was.

I have had 3 heart attacks and now have 4 stents. When I was in my 20's (close to 40 years ago) I was a Deputy Sheriff and was hit while out on a traffic stop. Since then I have had 5 back surguries. I still work, do heavy work out in the yard and such and unfortunately, still smoke some. I think getting and staying active, my girl and my dog keeps me going. Plus I try not to dwell on my pain and all the possibilites if I can help it. That'll freeze you up. Attitude is everything. Be happy.

I will second this , he keeps me on my feet and he is an unconditional loving fellow , he is 7 years old now and he knows when I am feeling bad or if I am upset, and he shows me a happy face witch changes my demeanor every time :)
Having a pet is a known fact to help our health and happiness witch keeps us healthier

View attachment 1715102404

View attachment 1715102407
yes I agree. we have a red heeler. really is the wife's dog, but a great dog. not long after I moved here to be with my wife, I lost my 2 miniature hashunds to pit bulls from across the road. I miss them so very much every single day. we live out in the country, but I am not used to having neighbors.
I have quarter horses, a good one will have a work ethic and want to do. but there is nothing like the bond between man an dog.

I had a heart attack 11 years ago and heart surgery.I was walking 3 miles a day..even at 20 below zero F, playing hockey,cutting and splitting all my firewood for the house and shop by hand,mowing all the lawns with a push mower even though i had a J.Deere riding mower etc. etc....but was noticing problems prior to having it.Anyway i probably shouldn't be here as the staff gave up on me and as a last resort administered Super Clot Buster which saved my life.
There was damage to my heart.I don't like the heat now and don't have the energy i used to have and i am almost 65.
The writing is on the wall!

I wish you all well. I shouldn't be complaining about my knees. My health issues are pretty minor compared to some. Makes me feel grateful its just my knees.

I had a heart attack 11 years ago and heart surgery.I was walking 3 miles a day..even at 20 below zero F, playing hockey,cutting and splitting all my firewood for the house and shop by hand,mowing all the lawns with a push mower even though i had a J.Deere riding mower etc. etc....but was noticing problems prior to having it.Anyway i probably shouldn't be here as the staff gave up on me and as a last resort administered Super Clot Buster which saved my life.
There was damage to my heart.I don't like the heat now and don't have the energy i used to have and i am almost 65.
The writing is on the wall!
news just other day stated new info that says men that exercise too much have more heart trouble than others! ya can't win!! I gess if we have blocked arteries, all we can do is wait till it sends us to the hospital!!!!!!

no body cares for you like a dog.An old guy said to lock your dog and your wife in the trunk.
...see which one is the happiest when you open it up!

I've been lucky with heart issues, have been active pretty much all my life. I'm 69, my Dad died at only 71, ruptured Aora. He had Lupus and very bad hypertension.

I have mild blood pressure, my big issues for years and years is bodily joint pain, which hurts heat to toe all waking hours. Last year they decided it was 'systemic' but so far no ideas on relief. I was recently proclaimed "borderline diabetic" which was no surprise......since about 26 I was hypoglycemic

Took most all the stuff off my tower last year, I've lost a few pounds since then.........(About 175 now)

img_0271cs-jpg.jpg

I had a post op appointment today after having kidney surgery last Monday. BP was 121/84. The P/A told me to watch the salt intake as it is bad for blood pressure which is bad on the kidneys. What ??? If I am already in the healthy range for BP, why the restriction??
Some have great genetics...They can smoke, eat whatever they want and somehow live long lives. Others live "right" but still have troubles. Looking at the complexity of the human body, I wonder how it is that we live as long as we do. Pesticides, accidents, self abuse and angry red headed EX girlfriends all conspiring to shorten our life spans...

I had a post op appointment today after having kidney surgery last Monday. BP was 121/84. The P/A told me to watch the salt intake as it is bad for blood pressure which is bad on the kidneys. What ??? If I am already in the healthy range for BP, why the restriction??
Some have great genetics...They can smoke, eat whatever they want and somehow live long lives. Others live "right" but still have troubles. Looking at the complexity of the human body, I wonder how it is that we live as long as we do. Pesticides, accidents, self abuse and angry red headed EX girlfriends all conspiring to shorten our life spans...
My blood pressure has always been normal, except the day I went to the hospital trying to have or having a hart attack. I had 98% blockage in 2 arteries but normal blood pressure. I had a physical every year. go figure.. after they put in stints it was back to normal., as I awaited open heart surgery.
After all this, I find that salt put a higher stress on a heart and therefore they recommend little salt. even though my BP is normal. also when they do that surgery they use veins which as smaller than arteries, therefore I am in Plavix, a blood thinner. now I scratch myself and bleed like a stuck hog.
2 years ago when I was 67 back home was my 50th HS reunion. Well I did not travel 1000 one way for it but talked to old friends. There were 66 in my class, 30 % had already kicked the bucket! I was amazed at that.
When I was bout mid to late thirties a doctor gave me a WRONG diagnosis, told me I was going to DIE. I learned from that to do the things in life I wanted to do while I still could!!! I still do.

I died about 4 months ago. Cardiac arrest, at the end of playing hockey, right on the ice. Random chance operated in my favor, as there was an AED (difibulator) on site, and 2 players in that group are doctors. In hospital I told the doctors I had shortness of breath and tightness in my chest for close to a year. Their response was, " so you just ignored the symptoms like a typical middle-aged male" I said " Yup"
Moral of the story, pay attention to your body. If something is'nt normal get it checked out. Just for the record I'm 59, in good shape, and never smoked or did drugs. They by-passed all 5 of my major arteries and installed a difibulator/pacemaker.

At 70 no problems except my knees. Still working and going to the gym. Finally cracked and called my primary care dr for an orthopedic referral. The pain is just too much! Hope to get the first one done in January and the other in august. I am hardcore about my annual physical and keeping my numbers all good.

I died about 4 months ago. Cardiac arrest, at the end of playing hockey, right on the ice. Random chance operated in my favor, as there was an AED (difibulator) on site, and 2 players in that group are doctors. In hospital I told the doctors I had shortness of breath and tightness in my chest for close to a year. Their response was, " so you just ignored the symptoms like a typical middle-aged male" I said " Yup"
Moral of the story, pay attention to your body. If something is'nt normal get it checked out. Just for the record I'm 59, in good shape, and never smoked or did drugs. They by-passed all 5 of my major arteries and installed a difibulator/pacemaker.

about 12 years ago one of my teammates passed while sitting on the bench waiting for his line change during the game.No body knew anything had happened.
Pretty shocking when something like that happens...early 50's with a wife and kids....So sad!

51 with heart problems since I was 39. Was not fun being the youngest guy on the floor. Biggest scare yet was 2 years ago being told by a nurse in the ER at 2:30am after having an IV, nitro patch, tablet under my tongue and a shot: "Honey, you are most likely going to have a stroke now..." as my EKG went nuts and my girlfriend screamed and cried, "Nooo!" I will never forget the look on her face as she stared at the monitor. I AM STILL HERE! Thank you Jesus, and all that have prayed for me including my church. I am doing MUCH better now, no stroke either. Tomorrow... going drag racing! Be thankful for everyday, I don't know how many I have left - but I will tell you each one really means something.

God bless

51 with heart problems since I was 39. Was not fun being the youngest guy on the floor. Biggest scare yet was 2 years ago being told by a nurse in the ER at 2:30am after having an IV, nitro patch, tablet under my tongue and a shot: "Honey, you are most likely going to have a stroke now..." as my EKG went nuts and my girlfriend screamed and cried, "Nooo!" I will never forget the look on her face as she stared at the monitor. I AM STILL HERE! Thank you Jesus, and all that have prayed for me including my church. I am doing MUCH better now, no stroke either. Tomorrow... going drag racing! Be thankful for everyday, I don't know how many I have left - but I will tell you each one really means something.

God bless

I am so glad you are doing well and made it thru that experience unscathed. I started this thread to try to alert people, especially in their 60's (and 50's) to be aware of possible heart disease EVEN though you have a physical every year.
I have thanked my God, Jesus Christ my Lord and Savor, every day for another day. I have done this way before my trip to the hospital for open heart surgery. I say live and love every day.

I am so glad you are doing well and made it thru that experience unscathed. I started this thread to try to alert people, especially in their 60's (and 50's) to be aware of possible heart disease EVEN though you have a physical every year.
I have thanked my God, Jesus Christ my Lord and Savor, every day for another day. I have done this way before my trip to the hospital for open heart surgery. I say live and love every day.

Amen to that! And today WAS another great day. Drove blower car to the track, ran heads up against my great friend and drove it 33 miles back. I thanked God on the way home. I have way more than I deserve and sometimes I can't even believe how good He is to me. So many times things align time-wise that had I been 1 minute earlier or 1 minute later the outcome would be totally different. Today was another one of those days! His timing is PERFECT all of the time, and it is plain as day when it is His work.

Had my first Heart Attack 2 weeks after my 40th Birthday. Went to my Dr. earlier in the day and had a normal EKG ( called silent heart attacks ). That night it hit me like a ton of bricks and my Wife rushed me to the emergency room.Of course I still had a normal EKG so they started sticking tubes down my throat looking for what I don't know.Finally the pain subsided and I was admitted. The next day they did a blood enzyme test and said " you had a heart attack" Luck was with me as it fed a " non critical" part of the bottom of my heart. Was 100% blockage and bottom 1/3 of my heart was damaged. Over the next 2 years I had 2 more but knew the symtoms and my Heart Dr.cleared the blockage with a roto rooter procedure( 1991). Took care of myself for a few years then slipped into my old habits but have not even had one problem with my ticker.In fact the damaged part had somehow got blood flow again and has repaired itself somehow. The only problem I have now is Diabetes which I am struggling to control and am now into my 2nd week of quitting Oxycodone cold turkey. I could stand to lose 50 lbs but what the hell ...Gonna die some day any way.I am a firm believer in quality of life versus Quantity of life.Don't care to live until I'm a blithering idiot any way.Long story short if you have all the symtoms of Heart Attack don't just rely on an EKG.

-
Back