Older guys will understand this pic!

-
Pop had a yellow pinto wagon when I was in kindergarten. When we got in, he would always say, "make sure the door is closed". I always thought that was absurd. Why the heck would I leave it open??? So one afternoon, I thought that i'd leave it open and see what happens. this time he didn't say anything. Down the road we go and I'm holding this thing when pop makes a hard left.... Well I'm old enough to remember the Pinto fire issue and merthiolate. I never actually saw one burn but I know how much merthiolate you get when you're launched outta one!

A young guy local to the area here in MN restored his Pinto and liked to cruise in it. One day was turning into his driveway and a car didn’t see him and plowed into the rear of him and his car burst into flames. He got burned really bad but survived, he had really bad scarring and lots of pain from it. He got a big settlement from Ford I guess and this wasn’t that long ago. He ended up buying a brand new Hellcat when they first came out and he crashed it into a mailbox and the ditch shortly after he got it, guess he started drinking a lot after the accident and he said no amount of money would make him feel better, felt bad for the kid.
That's Sad...

That's a good question. I can't remember what they did. I think the newer energy absorbing bumpers helped the issue. There was a rear end collision and fire just a block from the dealership I worked at. The gal died in the crash and the car burned to the ground.
Aww Man.

Saw a 71 just this morning :D. Skinnies on the front, fatties on the back on steelies with the Ferd dog dish caps and WAAAYYYY TOO much rumble for a 2.0 or 2.8 :steering:

My Pinto Story: I was dating this blonde that drove a real nice Light blue Pinto. She came down to spend the night one weekend. This was back in the late 70's, This was in the partying days, alcohol and weed. She left the next morning, she called me about an hour later (she had to drive about 35 miles), her Pinto had quit running. I went up to the next town and picked her up and went back to her car. I tried to turn it over, but it wouldn't turn. I checked the oil-OK, battery was about new, then I noticed a little piece of masking tape over the oil light on the dash. I asked her what this was for, she replied( we were riding around the other night getting stoned and this little red light came on-it was real annoying, so I put a piece of tape over it. Engine was locked up, assuming oil pump or drive went out. I asked her how long she had been driving it like that, she said 3 or 4 days. Her dad wasn't too happy.

My Pinto Story: I was dating this blonde that drove a real nice Light blue Pinto. She came down to spend the night one weekend. This was back in the late 70's, This was in the partying days, alcohol and weed. She left the next morning, she called me about an hour later (she had to drive about 35 miles), her Pinto had quit running. I went up to the next town and picked her up and went back to her car. I tried to turn it over, but it wouldn't turn. I checked the oil-OK, battery was about new, then I noticed a little piece of masking tape over the oil light on the dash. I asked her what this was for, she replied( we were riding around the other night getting stoned and this little red light came on-it was real annoying, so I put a piece of tape over it. Engine was locked up, assuming oil pump or drive went out. I asked her how long she had been driving it like that, she said 3 or 4 days. Her dad wasn't too happy.

:BangHead::BangHead::realcrazy::lol:

I had an 80 wagon I bought for 1$. Wouldn’t break 60 mph or so. But it was in beautiful shape. Ended up selling it for 500$. Had a 73 hatch bought for 175, sold back to the guy I got it from for 350

My brother had a Pinto wagon and a wife with a rack so big, they made my back hurt just looking at them. I was riding with her in downtown Seattle one day and she was slipping the clutch to stay stationary on a Seattle hill at a red light. The cabin of the car was filling up with clutch smoke to the point that tears were running down both our faces and she looks over at me and says, "Do you think this is hard on the car?"

-
Back