On the Hollet 670 street avenger , if you stomp it

-

jerry6

Banned
Reaction score
while driving and there is hesitation , car still goes , but it takes a bit until the secondaries open , does this mean it needs the lighter spring in the vacuum secondaries diaphragm housing , or is there some other adjustment .
These holley carbs are sure easy to play with , compared to the Carter avs

while driving and there is hesitation , car still goes , but it takes a bit until the secondaries open , does this mean it needs the lighter spring in the vacuum secondaries diaphragm housing , or is there some other adjustment .
These holley carbs are sure easy to play with , compared to the Carter avs

According to Holley's chart for the R80670 avenger
([ame="http://www.holley.com/data/TechService/Technical/Carb%20Numerical%20Listing.pdf"]http://www.holley.com/data/TechService/Technical/Carb%20Numerical%20Listing.pdf[/ame]) it came with...

Prim. jet #65
Secd. jet #68
Power valve #6.5
Squirter nozzle #31
Secd. opening spring color - Plain

This next link, if you scroll, with give a chart of the proper opening range for the different color springs.......
[ame]http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/199R8219-2.pdf[/ame]

If i recall you have the MP484 cam. The power valve you have should be about right with the normal vacuum it produces. Not sure of the other secd. springs that came with the carb, but it's certainly easy to try a quicker opening. I suspect you may need to up the primary jet a number or two with your cam, intake and exhaust?

I should add that now that your idle speed is set, check the accelerator pump lever and make sure there's no play. If there is, just open the adjuster bolt (the one with the little spring) to take out the slack.

Thanks ,you might be right , it might be accelerator pump , will check that . I have the comp cams xe274 Think 2 springs came with the carb , silver one and black and whatever is in it now . If the accel pump does not do it , I'll try the silver (light) spring . Was going to go race today but rain , guess next week . Someone does not want me racing ! Broken shackle , then rain . When I changed the shackles I put in the poly bushing , crap those things sure are harsh , no give in the rear end now , what a difference

I put a 35 squirter in my 670 SA and it took care of a similar problem.

I bought the 770 and I actually had to bend the acc pump linkage to make it squirt right away, before that I had to move the gas pedal about a inch before it would work. I love that carb now that it works right. I changed the secondary spring also.

Sorry i was mistaken on the cam. Not sure how early your tracks close for the season, but i hope you can get out a time or two. Don't know how the spring bushings will react at the track, but at least you know the spring mounts are good and solid now. As far as tuning, if the acc. pump and springs don't get it just right, there are a few other tweaks like the squirter as Steve "LXguy" talked about and some jet and power valve tuning. Small steps, one at a time are usually the best method. Then there's the traction issue....lol. Good luck and let us know how it goes and if we can help.

The shop tire near my house can get me some slicks and wheels for a good price , he's a racer as well , used to drag race , now road courses so he knows his **** , S o next season I should be set to run , if the carb issues are settled . At least the holley is easy to tune and modify .

So looks like everyone thinks it's the acel pump , will check that first . squirter and power valve better be good , don't want to have to change those . Pretty sure it's accel pump or vacuum spring

You have a great trap speed.Expect it to drop to 103 to 105.Pick up .02-.03 on the sixty foots,say hello to the twelves,once sorted

-
Back