One for the rich small block guys.

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Direct Connection 1500 HEMI® Crate Engine - DSR Performance DSR1500-DC

IMG_2278.jpeg

It's kool you can buy a 1500 hp engine from Mopar but no thanks at $60,000.
Probably be almost double that for us Canadians :)

It's kool you can buy a 1500 hp engine from Mopar but no thanks at $60,000.
Probably be almost double that for us Canadians :)
What would it cost to build one like it I wonder? It's a lot of money, yeah, but this ain't a cheap hobby.

What would it cost to build one like it I wonder? It's a lot of money, yeah, but this ain't a cheap hobby.
True, 1500 hp gonna cost a bit no matter which way you go, some kind of turbo engine probably cheapest way, 600 NA hp and 20 psi of boost.

True, 1500 hp gonna cost a bit no matter which way you go, some kind of turbo engine probably cheapest way, 600 NA hp and 20 psi of boost.
Right and "everything it take$$$$$$" to make that happen. lol

It's sad when you can make 1500 from an LS for under 10k. Mopar has always been so damn expensive in comparison. AND TO BE CLEAR. I'm not glorifying an LS but from a performance perspective they are an incredible engine. Extremely ugly and blah but can't deny what the LS and now the ford coyote are capable of on stock components

Last edited:
My thoughts on this are this. Yes 1500 horsepower is a lot of horsepower but what class of racing are you going to use it in. Most smaller heads up racing pays how much. At the Mopar races car count is pathetic so payout is pathetic. You don’t fit in NA events and 1500 horsepower is nothing if you think you can move up a class. For the street what are you going to do with all that power. If you hook it you will quickly find every weak link in the car. Sure it might be cool bragging at the local burger joint if that’s your kinda thing. I ran into my buddy an ex drag racer because of his health. He’s raced crazy power adder bikes, trucks, and several other vehicles. His street Camero has a pro charger on it. He’s broken cv joints and very expensive transmissions. He’s had it up to 170mph on the street. He’s since added nitrous but knows if he went to a test n tune he would be calling to have it towed home. So other than bragging what do you do???

It's sad when you can make 1500 from an LS for under 10k. Mopar has always been so damn expensive in comparison. AND TO BE CLEAR. I'm not glorifying an LS but from a performance perspective they are an incredible engine. Extremely ugly and blah but can't deny what the LS and now the ford coyote are capable of on stock components
You can slap a turbo on a 3 gen hemi too, I'm sure if Chev sold a 1500 LS it wouldn't be cheap either.

Nothing is cheap when your paying for something you didn't build yourself. You sure can but it's not as cheap as a junkyard LS. Trust me I've fought the fight for years for mopar but the fact is LS is down right proven and cheaper all around compared to gen3 hemi. Still cool you can buy it over the counter though who doesn't love that

My thoughts on this are this. Yes 1500 horsepower is a lot of horsepower but what class of racing are you going to use it in. Most smaller heads up racing pays how much. At the Mopar races car count is pathetic so payout is pathetic. You don’t fit in NA events and 1500 horsepower is nothing if you think you can move up a class. For the street what are you going to do with all that power. If you hook it you will quickly find every weak link in the car. Sure it might be cool bragging at the local burger joint if that’s your kinda thing. I ran into my buddy an ex drag racer because of his health. He’s raced crazy power adder bikes, trucks, and several other vehicles. His street Camero has a pro charger on it. He’s broken cv joints and very expensive transmissions. He’s had it up to 170mph on the street. He’s since added nitrous but knows if he went to a test n tune he would be calling to have it towed home. So other than bragging what do you do???
The market for them probably people building high end street cars that probably won't see the track.

Could see someone building a half mill retro rod Cuda, Challenger, Charger, or even an old coupe etc.. being a dream plant for them, wonder how easy do they swap into modern gen 3 hemi cars ? Probably another market.

Nothing is cheap when your paying for something you didn't build yourself. You sure can but it's not as cheap as a junkyard LS. Trust me I've fought the fight for years for mopar but the fact is LS is down right proven and cheaper all around compared to gen3 hemi. Still cool you can buy it over the counter though who doesn't love that
Never said it wasn't cheaper, Chev parts has always been cheaper and more plentiful, but you could do a turbo 3 gen hemi fairly cheap.

Target market night be some fat cat having shop build E body or second gen Charger just throw the 1500 hp engine on the tab, why not? Didn't Helephant sell out in a day? Hodges Restoration just built a '68 Charger resto mod with Helephant, some street car, someones toy to play with. Not always about being practical, useful, and bragging. Some times its about ppl want what they want and pay up to get it.

Mopar's one-up on chevy's 1000 hp n/a 632. If I remember right, that's a 40k engine, so both are right around $40/hp.
Unfortunately, I can think of better places to spend $60k, even if I had that much "stupid money".
Besides, about 99.9% of (street)drivers would be stupid dangerous with that kind of power. I know I would.
450 whp got my car in the nines, 1200 whp is insane.

Last edited:
I was JUST coming back to say just that. I have a friend I've known thirty years that lives right down the road. Chevy guy. <insert eyeroll> He's the service manager at the local dealer in Macon. He has a 1500 2wd of "some" 2000s year. I think like a 2005. It's on its third or fourth engine. It's 1400 plus HP. It's a "very" mild 5.3 build. Sounds totally stock. Upgraded fuel system and a turbo bigger than my head. When he blows an engine up, he just gets another one, goes through it and swaps it out.

Mopar's one-up on chevy's 1000 hp n/a 632. If I remember right, that's a 40k engine, so both are right around $40/hp.
Unfortunately, I can think of better places to spend $60k, even if I had that much "stupid money".
Besides, about 99.9% of (street)drivers would be stupid dangerous with that kind of power. I know I would.
450 whp got my car in the nines, 1200 whp is insane.
But Chevy's had a 632 out 25 or more years. Who got there first? Nevermind. We know who.

I was JUST coming back to say just that. I have a friend I've known thirty years that lives right down the road. Chevy guy. <insert eyeroll> He's the service manager at the local dealer in Macon. He has a 1500 2wd of "some" 2000s year. I think like a 2005. It's on its third or fourth engine. It's 1400 plus HP. It's a "very" mild 5.3 build. Sounds totally stock. Upgraded fuel system and a turbo bigger than my head. When he blows an engine up, he just gets another one, goes through it and swaps it out.
That's exactly what lots of no-prep racers do.
My racing buddy from many years back has a 408 ls, with speedmaster heads and a turbo..... but he wants it to live, so it's only tuned to 1200 hp. (Malibu small tire street car)
His FAST car will have a giant procharger on a aluminum solid block gen 2 KB hemi, on alcohol/e85. Former 6 second 1/4 promod avenger.

Last edited:
-
Back