One Inch of Snow and School for Tomorrow is Canceled

-
County grader came by and scooped me out of the ditch once. Boogered up my mudflat and bumper a bit but wasn’t complaining.

Me niece had to stop and put chains on for the first time last winter to get through a highway pass. Called us a few minutes after to ask what she's doing wrong since the car was shaking so bad above 50 and dangerous at 60+ and that she'd already stopped several times to make sure she put them on right.
I laughed and asked what the package or manual said about max speed?
-35mph on snow, 25 dry.
But at least she figured it out, and stopped before she flung a chain thru the fender!
Common sense is not all that common anymore, is it?

Common sense is not all that common anymore, is it?

That and in many cases people either failed to learn or were neglected to be taught many life skills. I'm just glad that in her particular case she's taking some initiative.
Too many of her generation would have just gone home instead, or tried to Uber across the state :rolleyes:

dart.jpg

....I don't know, If I could have called an Uber instead of driving that Dart back across the Poconos and the Berkshires that night, I might have!!!

So here is a funny pertaining story. We were at a standstill in a blizzard on Marias Pass. Dad was driving. A state trooper comes along to assure our safety but tells us a funny story about the vehicle behind us.
Part of me wants to get some winter tires and a bunch of undercoating and go dashing through the snow.
Do it.

So here is a funny pertaining story. We were at a standstill in a blizzard on Marias Pass. Dad was driving. A state trooper comes along to assure our safety but tells us a funny story about the vehicle behind us.
Do it.
Okay I screwed that up. Lol. The funny story was the troopers said the guy behind us was spinning his tires and thought we were moving. Glued to our tailgates.

Remember when we drove these cars in the winter conditions?

Oh how did we ever survive?
I busted the housing of my 904 crossing whale creek in my Barracuda up the north fork of the Flathead river. I was hunting. I tell ya, there are warmer places to sleep. Made it home just fine. FYI, whale creek is a rock skip from Canada. Not a well maintained road 56 miles from my house. Sawdust tires helped. Lol. What a dumb ***. All alone.

Part of me wants to get some winter tires and a bunch of undercoating and go dashing through the snow.
The last good snow we had I decided that I wanted to have some old fashioned fun. I left my truck in 2WD and turned off the traction control. That fun lasted less than a mile when I couldn't get up the hill to get out of the neighborhood. It sure seemed a lot more fun 40 years ago.

Why is this even a thing? Everybody bitches about it.... back in my day I was so tough blah blah blah.... how does it affect you?
How about everybody with a job & no on-call babysitters? Maybe they can't miss work, maybe it's not just about "Us", maybe today's indoctrination system can't wait for the tiniest excuse to F-off & sit around w/Their java talking about how "slick it is out there".....it's Pu$$yville out there now, plain & simple...that's why it's a thing.

The reality is it`s all about law suits :rolleyes:
Just the Bus Companies, the shoools couldn't give a crap less, they get away with way worse than a bus fender-bender/stuck in a ditch...almost weekly.

Yes, we've all see the Joe Rogan podcast. They are kids, let em be kids... snow days were a big deal when I was a kid!

EDIT: And I would have to say... depending on your age group.... You probably inherited the "good times" from the 30's-40's generation..... and if you had kids... you'd then be responsible for our current... "weak" men.

Last edited:
How about everybody with a job & no on-call babysitters? Maybe they can't miss work, maybe it's not just about "Us", maybe today's indoctrination system can't wait for the tiniest excuse to F-off & sit around w/Their java talking about how "slick it is out there".....it's Pu$$yville out there now, plain & simple...that's why it's a thing.
If they have no back up baby sitter maybe they shouldn't have kids right? I mean, I'm just using your logic against you. And it sounds like a miserable way to live life... thinking about how big of a pussy everyone but you is.... how triggered you get by this makes me think you're actually the pussy?

Yes, we've all see the Joe Rogan podcast. They are kids, let em be kids... snow days were a big deal when I was a kid!

EDIT: And I would have to say... depending on your age group.... You probably inherited the "good times" from the 30's-40's generation..... and if you had kids... you'd then be responsible for our current... "weak" men.

Weak.

Way back when Winston Tire made some all terrain tires, I think Sam just called them 10-60s. Heck they were L60x15s with a all terrain tread pattern. The guys I knew that were racing short track race buggies loved 'em.

We had a small snowstorm blow through today. We got 1 inch total. It’s been so warm the last several days, but nothing really stuck to the streets or the driveways. And the idiots that run the local school boards have already closed down every school within 50 miles of here for tomorrow. That is beyond ridiculous. Need I tell you what it took to get school canceled 60 years ago when I was a kid?

That is nothing. They cancelled school here for rain and wind???? How is that going to work this spring?

Many times out in the desert when I was in elementary school, the bus driver had to take alternate routes to get us around the flash floods that had showed up the previous night. Very rural area. Ever hear of Erin Brocovich? Yeah our school was right down the road from that Hinkley mess :eek:

-
Back