One last go at roof rail seals

-
I'm waiting also. Had the same problem with the split seals.... FF a year and the driver side is separating where the molded end meets at the front. I'm using the factory one on the passenger side but I'm stuck with the one on the drivers side as the old one got damaged while sitting

Unfortunately, not a peep from them. Not that I'm surprised. I may give them a shout and see what's going on. Probably time to start looking elsewhere.

Ok Guys, Can we have a pictorial for seals with part number, manufacturer, and pic??

After the rain here over the last couple of days, the ENTIRE passenger seat is soaked in my car. I've got permission to buy the seals but what ones are the correct ones ( like the ones that Jimmyray posted a pic of ). I'll be calling Steele Rubber by the end of the day but 68postcar said he had some trouble with those as well???? WE NEED A SOLUTION.

Welp, I ordered the seals from Steele Rubber..... 216.43 after shipping. Should be here by next Tuesday

I just became a member and am trying to catch up with all the goodies.
I have had a similar problem with metro that I bought a year ago and just got around to attempting to install them in April. The seals sure dont filt the rail well. They don't sit flush with the top of the rail but sit at an angle nor do the protrusions on the rubber seal stay in the rail groves. Needless to say, the seals are not in yet. All my other seasls are in.

Has anyone solved the problem yet. At $90 bucks each I don't want to waste another set. Also, Does Steel Rubber Products offer one that fits right?

In my experimenting, I learned that window adjustment is a real pain in the butt. I look forward to hearing from all you experienced mopar fans.

Dave

Pushrod,
I have had my 67 Dart apart a long time-I have everything together except the roof rail and seals. What is the best placement for the roof rail since you can't adjust it after the seal is in. The first set I boutht from metro did not fit correctly. I think that I am going with steel. Can you give me some advice on adjusting the roof rail and installing the seals. Got pics?

Thanks Pushrod!

Dave

Dave, The seals from Steele Rubber fit correctly on my 73. As for the stainless channel, they do have slotted holes to move them around a little but I installed mine as far out as I could. That being said, I had to adjust the windows to get them to seal and it still took a week for the windows to "seat" against the seals completely. The only problem I had was with the push-in thingys at the front and back, they were too small to fit into the holes in the body.

Player,

I'v played with the rails (channel) for months trying to get a feel for corectness. I placed them close to where the manufacturer (Chrysler had them) based on the recesses in the channel, needless to say, it worked for the original rubber but not when I put the seal in the channel. I have adjusted the windows so many times. Did he Steel rubber sit flush in the top of the stainless steel channel. The metro did not, so I did not glue it. Before I installed the windows I put all new roller in. When I got the left rear quarter window in, I found that it moves up and down, front to back a (little sloppy), 3/4", the right however is good and tight? Got any suggestions? I probably will end up removing the window and re-checking all the rollers and other parts, right, I already know what you may say. Any suggestions will really be appreciated. I need all the help I can get. Sometimes what seems to be the simplest turns out tobe more difficult. Thanks for your help from an old man.

Dave

...wellllllllll glad to see Im not the only one here with a problem... now I dont feel like such a bumbling idiot !!!!

After the repaint on my car I have not been able to get any weather strip put in... I have spent freaking hours trying to install a "Sofseal" set.... its crap. Doesnt fit and they are too long... The door seals from them are perfect... just not the roof rail seals..... I have heard Steel rubber is the best.... i have the old originals in place right now and well... after monkeying around with the drivers window it has no fitment at all.... what a pain in the butt. Is Steel Rubber the closest answer ?????

-RPM

Everyone take a deep breath and relax for a little bit. I just talked to Metro's guy that was promising to help. He is sending to me two separate prototype roof rail seals to try on the Duster. I almost gave up on him, but apparently, he is taking this seriously enough to try fixing the problem they have with their product. It probably didn't hurt my cause to casually mention that I have MANY A-body owners very interested in hearing the outcome of our discussions.

I hope to have the seals in hand this weekend, or early next week at the latest. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

Jerry

Everyone take a deep breath and relax for a little bit. I just talked to Metro's guy that was promising to help. He is sending to me two separate prototype roof rail seals to try on the Duster. I almost gave up on him, but apparently, he is taking this seriously enough to try fixing the problem they have with their product. It probably didn't hurt my cause to casually mention that I have MANY A-body owners very interested in hearing the outcome of our discussions.

I hope to have the seals in hand this weekend, or early next week at the latest. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

Jerry

i was wondering where you were......glad you are still in the loop. hopefully this will get fixed the right way.

Jerry,

I sure hope taht they fit correctly. You and many of us have been through the same fitting issues. I am curious as to weather is will sit flat in the ss roof rail, mine never did. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Dave

Finally, I got the prototype seals from Metro that they promised. They sent two different mock-up sets of roof rail seals. I'll let you know how they fit, once I have a chance to try them out.

Jerry

i have some metro seals i also bought from fran bishop,,,roof rail and wing window seals,,i havent installed either of these yet,,,,and they wer at the time and may still be the only company making wing window gaskets for the early A,,i thought i struck gold when i got wing window gaskets,,

i had bought a n.o.s windshield gasket from chrysler back in 1979,,it never fit properly,,,but took me a long time to figure that out,,,,and that was a factory replacement gasket,,,,but who knows who made it in 1979..

but i have purchased a new repoped front wind shield gasket and the maker is percission,,,i have not installed it yet,,,,but have seen them installed and i have measured it and compared it to the orignal gasket,,, its appears to be perfect,,,,

Finally, I got the prototype seals from Metro that they promised. They sent two different mock-up sets of roof rail seals. I'll let you know how they fit, once I have a chance to try them out.

Jerry

pictures!! we also need pictures!!!

Don't fret, no updates simply means a severe shortage of spare time, and recently, a lack of decent weather.

Hang in there, I'm as anxious as the rest of you.
Jerry

Pushrod,

I got my roof rail seals from Steel Rubber and did a dry run. They seem to fit fine. One question though. There is no overlap on the inside of the roof rail like on the old ones? The Steel seals simply fit into the rails? I don't suppsoe you have a picture of what yours looks like do you? If so, you can you send a pic to my e mail address [email protected]. By the way, how have your windows sealed. Thanks Pushrod.

Dave

Pushrod,

I got my roof rail seals from Steel Rubber and did a dry run. They seem to fit fine. One question though. There is no overlap on the inside of the roof rail like on the old ones? The Steel seals simply fit into the rails? I don't suppsoe you have a picture of what yours looks like do you? If so, you can you send a pic to my e mail address [email protected]. By the way, how have your windows sealed. Thanks Pushrod.

Dave
i can take a pic if you need one

Any news, Jerry? There are a bunch of us lurkers waiting & watching, too!
C

I put in my roof rail seals from Steel Rubber. I have not glued them yet, they are sitting in the rail. It has given me a chance to adjust the roof rails and the windows for best possible fit. I put new rollers in the left quarter window and reinstalled it. Now that I have everything adjusted I can further tighten the roof rails and glue the seal in. I can say this, the Steel Rubber roof rail seals fit well.

Dave

-
Back