One last go at roof rail seals

-

'74 Sport

Reaction score
There have been plenty of posts about Steele Rubber, Metro, Precision Performance, Year One, etc. weatherstripping and seals, but none have definitively answered my burning question...

Can anyone tell me which of these, if any, have a roof rail seal that actually works correctly for a '74 Duster? I'm talking about no installation problems, perfect fit, and absolutely no leaking.

Is this a pipe dream?
Jerry

Now I find out the brand new quarter window seals from Metro are leaking. What is it with our aftermarket manufacturers? Can't they get anything right. I'll give them some windows for free if they need an actual physical model to get measurements from and then do a test fit. Geez....

Jerry

Sport, are your doors/windows sitting properly in the body? Maybe there isn't enough pressure/contact between the glass and rubber. Could your window tracks be bent? Just a couple of possibilities.

As far as I know, everything is installed correctly, and there is no damage, bends, kinks, warpage, etc. But, you are right, the glass barely makes contact with the seal in a few areas, that's the whole problem. As you know, there are no adjustments to be made with these windows, everything is attached to the frame.

I just got off the phone with Fran at Just Mopar, and he is sending replacement seals to try and see if they will work. I hate to do it, but it looks like the windows will have to come out again. What a pain....

Jerry

Folks, before I make a complete fool of myself, I need your input on this issue I'm having with these new seals from Metro.

Have any of you used Metro brand (in the purple packaging) roof rail seals on a '73 to '76 Duster or Dart Sport? If so, I really need your honest opinion about how well they fit and seal off your windows. About three years ago, we tried to install new seals on Aaron's '74 Dart Sport. They were obviously molded differently than the OEM seals, and we never could get them to fit correctly and seal off properly. We ended up setting them aside (lost now in the clutter) and re-used the old original seals.

I recently bought another set of new roof rail seals from Metro, and it's like deja vu all over again. Aaron and I fought these for about an hour and gave up, frustrated. Because of the way they are molded, the 90* corner at the top of the door window/quarter window interface is too bulky. It's impossible to get all the mass of rubber pressed tightly into the corner. It bulges out so much in the corner that the glass is lifted away from the seal for much of its length along the roof rail, allowing wind and water to get in.

Along the vertical piece that presses into the stainless quarter window frame, the original seal was molded in a single flat surface (maybe an extrusion). However, the new seal has a separate molded "flap" or "groove". I don't believe the intent is for the glass to slide under the flap, because it would eventually get frayed and torn from wear as the door is opened and close with the window rolled up.

The long and the short of it is I want to visit with Metro's new product manager and explain the problem to him. I don't believe it is a window adjustment issue, I just don't think anyone has bothered to let them know there is a problem. Maybe I'm just all wet. That's why I need to hear from any of you who can say, without reservation, that their seals worked correctly in your application.

On the other hand, if you used roof rail seals that are manufactured by a company other than Metro, and you are completely satisfied with the way they fit, I would like to hear that as well.

Thank you,
Jerry

Molded Seams.JPG

Bulky Corner.JPG

Window Seal Inside 01.JPG

steele is thr best for the roof rail, i have 71 duster same thing metro crap soft seal ****!!! call steele, sent in the orgs they sent me new ones which are 97%contour correct 100%right fit
steele kept my orgs for rev oh yea can't forget year one know it all dicks that sent you crap these guys make a ton of dough lets see them restore a abody dep ***** can post pics

Picture or Video 007.jpg

Jerry,

I just spent the last few days installing my Metro roof rail seals and experienced same problems you had.

I was able to adjust the glass. There are adjustments for moving glass front to back in door; tilting the top of glass in or out; and raising the glass evenly when looking at it from the side. However the fit is not very tight, I was able to get a better seal on the passenger side, than the driver side. I used a piece of paper in the closed window to check the seal because my car is not put back together enough to give it the water test.

Another problem I've experienced is that when you roll the window up with the door closed the window grabs the seal in the roof rail to quarter window corner, where you show the extra material in your pictures. This causes the other parts of the window around the corner to loose its seal. But if I open the door and roll the window up, then close the door it has a better seal. But obviously this is not aceptable from a practical use standpoint.

My rear quarter window seals are from Steele, no problems noted yet, but again haven't water tested them yet. Steele's web site is kind of low tech, but they are very helpful if you call them. Here's the link: http://166.82.96.9/homeframes.html

Let us know if you use the Steele roof rail seal because I bet I will need to change out my Metro seals once I start using the car.

Jerry,

I just spent the last few days installing my Metro roof rail seals and experienced same problems you had.

I was able to adjust the glass. There are adjustments for moving glass front to back in door; tilting the top of glass in or out; and raising the glass evenly when looking at it from the side. However the fit is not very tight, I was able to get a better seal on the passenger side, than the driver side. I used a piece of paper in the closed window to check the seal because my car is not put back together enough to give it the water test.

Another problem I've experienced is that when you roll the window up with the door closed the window grabs the seal in the roof rail to quarter window corner, where you show the extra material in your pictures. This causes the other parts of the window around the corner to loose its seal. But if I open the door and roll the window up, then close the door it has a better seal. But obviously this is not aceptable from a practical use standpoint.

My rear quarter window seals are from Steele, no problems noted yet, but again haven't water tested them yet. Steele's web site is kind of low tech, but they are very helpful if you call them. Here's the link: http://166.82.96.9/homeframes.html

Let us know if you use the Steele roof rail seal because I bet I will need to change out my Metro seals once I start using the car.

That is true there are adjustments for the glass. I have the same problem (have to raise the door glass with the door open) even after adjustments on my driver side. Don't have that problem on the passenger side. I don't know what you have to do... I just live with it and sure has heck don't spray my hose directly into the glass channel area when I'm washing my car.

Thanks for the replies fellows. I didn't think it was just me. I tried using new seals on both a 74 Dart Sport and a 74 Duster. I told Metro that it is highly unlikely I have the only two cars in that year model that their seals won't fit on properly. Their salesman Fran Bishop has been very nice and helpful, I don't have a beef with him, I just want someone from Metro's research and development to call me so I can explain the issues in more detail. I believe they have a problem with their product, and they just haven't had enough folks raise their voice about it. As you said, Mullinax, we "just live with it", thinking that's all there is out there. I hope to change that.

Jerry

I put some roof rail seails on my 70 Darts a while back. They did not fit for crap ether. Got them from YearOne. I jacked with them things for days. Got them to work ok. but never was realy happy with them. Just more cheap junk I paid to much for.

Sport, Please keep up the fight!!!!! I've bought some Metros seals a year back. Their still in the packaging. I'll definately send them back if you find a better product. I need the pop out seals as well. I repairing a 73 dart sport. Keep us updated!!!

Just wanted you to know that I may be making some headway with Metro. I have been discussing the problem with a gentleman there who has been involved with their product development for over twenty years. I sent him a handful of close-up photos and we have talked a few times over the phone.

Mike is very interested in determining what problems may exist with their products and is looking into it over the next few days. I now believe he completely understands the issues we are dealing with on the roof rail seals. He is trying to determine if there is a design problem or a manufacturing problem.

I really do feel like he is sincere in trying to make a better product. Metro has been in business over twenty-five years, and he plans to be around a few more, serving the needs of their loyal customers (not to mention all the potential buyers, once all of us get the word out). Word of mouth is a powerful tool in the world of aftermarket retail.

I will keep you posted on my progress,
Jerry

Wow, speak of the devil.... I just got this e-mail from Metro:
Jerry,
Checked on a few things here, we are waiting for some raw materials to come in before I can make you a protype up for you to try. I assume it will be 2-3 weeks before we get our material in, try to hang in there, we are still going to take care of you.

Thanks,
Mike Staricha
Metro Moulded Parts

Wow, speak of the devil.... I just got this e-mail from Metro:
Jerry,
Checked on a few things here, we are waiting for some raw materials to come in before I can make you a protype up for you to try. I assume it will be 2-3 weeks before we get our material in, try to hang in there, we are still going to take care of you.

Thanks,
Mike Staricha
Metro Moulded Parts

Man that is alright!

i bought mine from steele and i have a similar problem in the top rear corner on both sides but nowhere near like the ones in your pics. i had to put a small amount of windshield adhesive in the track to get it to stay up into the rail, then go all the way around the inside edge with a plastic windshield tool and push it the rest of the way into place. then i adjust the window stops and guides to match the pressure surface for it to seal properly.as i said mine were not as bad as yours but, the glass dont leak at all.if you close the door on a dollar bill you should just be able to pull it slightly out with a slight tug. i'll try to get you a pic of the adjusted window on the seal. it may help. dont give up though.we need these parts from the a/m to be at lest as good as original(lol)

I bought a set of the Metros for my 73 Duster off ebay last year. Tried to fit them, they were obviously the wrong part. Those were likely for a a car with the windw fram attached to the door, where the window fits into a channel in the seal. I called Metro, very polite, they were going to check into it. They did not call back, and I did not follow through. Thought about trying these ones: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0175474462&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=
but not sure if they will sork any better. Cant see the pics good enough to evaluate the crossesection, which should look like this:

07.jpg

jimmy i was just trying to remember you. i had thought i had seen something similiar to this post before. i do belive metro will fix this. i was told by them if i had a piece that was'nt available or didn't match up correctly to send them a sample of the original and that they would make a new piece to the original and correct the problem or start to manufacture the piece which ever was needed. i hope this works out as i would think that these seals would be the same for 70-76 dart sports, demons, and dusters as well. keep plugging away guys!

jimmy i was just trying to remember you. i had thought i had seen something similiar to this post before. i do belive metro will fix this. i was told by them if i had a piece that was'nt available or didn't match up correctly to send them a sample of the original and that they would make a new piece to the original and correct the problem or start to manufacture the piece which ever was needed. i hope this works out as i would think that these seals would be the same for 70-76 dart sports, demons, and dusters as well. keep plugging away guys!

Here's hoping they can get it resolved. $200 for the steele seals hurts my feelings, and I am not sure about the precision seals - don't know if anyone has tried them yet. They are available off ebay, link above. I am subscribing to this post for any news...

When installng the roof and window rails make sure they are at least room temperature. Having a heat gun or blow dryer to use on the corners will make them fit tighter for better seal. I have learned from exp. that for me Steele is the best quality and the easiest company to deal with if there is a problem.

Great....I have trunk, pop outs, and window seals in the corner of the closet. :(

Guess I shouldn't be surprised if there's a problem.

I'll try the trick with the heat gun though.

Yes, they're all from Metro.

If they turn out to not fit properly, I've heard Steele rubber makes great products.

-
Back