One more time. Back wheel backspacing on Dart

-

carcrazyguy

Reaction score
I am sure that this has been covered before but I could not find the correct info. :scratch:

I am wanting to run Pro-Stars on the 71 Dart. I bought 15 x5 for the front and I am wanting 15 x 7 on the back. I don't want to move the springs or roll the lips. What backspace should I get for the rears?

THANKS IN ADVANCE :thumleft:

I had a 70 340 Swinger and I ran 15x7 wheels that were custom made with a 4.5 backspace and they worked great. I did have the wheel lip rolled for extra clearance but I was running 265-50-15`s.

Another A-body backspace question for my other car. Is there any way to fit a 15 x 8 with 5.5 backspace on a 70 Duster?

THANKS

carcrazyguy said:
Another A-body backspace question for my other car. Is there any way to fit a 15 x 8 with 5.5 backspace on a 70 Duster?

THANKS

Only if you move the springs. 4.5" max for stock spring location.

If you use a rearend housing and axles out of a 65-66 b body you can use a 8" wheel with 5 1/2" back spacing without moving the leaf springs. There was an article about it in a magizine quite a few years ago (early 90's?) I coppied that when I did my 70, but I am not certain of the year of the rear I used (I was told it was from a 65-66 b body, but I think someone lied to me cause I still had to roll the lip (actually I used a cut off wheel and cut it back to about an 1/8") and the tire still JUST BARELY rubbed the outer well enough to scrub the letters off the tires I was running. I also had a set of wheels custom made from stockton for the purpose but mine were just a stock steel wheel design (sleeper mode)

Only if you use a rear that is narrowed 1" on each side. I am currently going thru all my old Mopar Muscle, Mopar Action, and High Performance Mopar mags (I have A LOT) looking for certain articles. When I find that article again I will post and let ya know details on the swap.

-
Back