One of those too good to be true deals

-
WOW! How cool is that to see a "like showroom" car from that era!

Too bad the veteran didnt get to enjoy it....I thank him for his service and sacrifice.

Post more pics! Undercarriage would be cool to see.:toothy10:

The veteran DID get to enjoy it, in his own way. Sounds like that's him posting up top, 66-coronet-500. If so welcome, you have a fantastic car.

As for the undercoating. NOOOOOOOOO! That car is a time capsule and it would de-value the car to do that. 66 Coronets don't get get the respect that the later cars do and don't garner the $$ either. Touching this car will not only sacrifice it's value (whatever that is, not saying it's a fortune) but the historical value of this car is priceless.
From looking at the pictures, that car would do very, very well on the survivor show circuit. Like said above, make sure EVERYTHING that is taken off is returned with the car.
I love seeing cars like this surface, it gives a needed breath of fresh air to the hobby.

I say no to undercoating! Document this car with pics! WOW! you do not find this often, and it should be kept as is! (With the ability to run and drive).
Not mine, but I would be very cautious with adding a lot of miles, and driving in bad weather. I would get another car of similar specs to drive, if that is important. My opinion

Got the new plug wires from year one. installed them with new plugs and points (old ones burnt badly). Also had to rebuild the carb, base plate was leaking fuel. Thing is almost running like a top, Idle is still a little rough and it backfires though the carb when reving from an idle, but the back fire has started to clear up. Still waiting on the master cylinder but in the mean time if got all the gauges working. Here some more pictures of undercarriage they are of poor quality (took at work and e-mailed home) not the same!!

under5.jpg

Copy of under1.jpg

Copy of under2.jpg

Copy of under3.jpg

Copy of under4.jpg

Copy of under7.jpg

Copy of under8.jpg

To me that car would be priceless and I would probably trailer it to shows so it didnt get wrecked. It surely could never be replaced.

What a car!
Beautifull...

Id wouldnt undercoat it,id leave it as is.

LIke someone said,its a time capsule :)

Undercoating? On mine yes due to driving both daily & winter (only cars)
This car? I don't think so.
But a couple of cans of wd-40 coating the underside wouldn't hurt, would it?
It's such a great car, at this point, it will start having a life of it's own and leeding you around!
Good Luck & LOVE THAT CAR!!!!

seems the person that orignally bought this car is still around,,,how any one could park a car for so many years is mind boggeling to me,,,but some day hopefully a new owner will respect this car,,and not daily drive it,,,

i hope you drive it a little before you sell it,,and if you decide to keep it and drive it MORE POWER TO YOU a nice almost new car,,,

since they dont build cars like they use to i see that you thought way ahead of all of us and decided to have a new old car after all these years..kool

Well I finally got the master cylinder YEAH!!!! Installed it and bled the brakes and as of Thursday Oct. 1 2009 this car drove under it's own power for the first time since it was put away sometime in 1968. Was a great feeling, Just took her up and down the block a few times. Still have some adjustments to do to the brakes, replace shocks and reflush the fluids and I think that wrap it up. I will get some more pictures posted after she gets her first bath in 40 years. lol

So Venom did the car run good? I can not wait to see the car. I was wanting some opinions. I do not want to put alot of miles on the car but i know you need to drive them some to keep them up. Do you or anyone have any advice on what to do to keep miles low and keep the car from getting back to the way it was.

Drive it regular but, sparingly. Like Sunday morning to church or breakfast. Saturday morning or evening. I never take mine out during the week.

It's all done and to answer your questions it runs, stops, and looks great. Here are some of the final pictures that I took. Hope you enjoy the car 66_coronet_500. I would try to get it out at least once a month for a drive if weather permits and between that just try to start and run engine up to operation temp every other week. Also would consider replacement of the tires I know that they are orginals and thats cool but they are 40 years old and not worth the risk of a failure. Even at slow speed that could cause damage that is pricless to repair on a car like this. You could always buy a set of wheels and tires to drive on and install the orginals for car shows..just a thought. Once again hope you enjoy it. Venom

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

c3.jpg

c4.jpg

c5.jpg

c6.jpg

c7.jpg

c8.jpg

how any one could park a car for so many years is mind boggeling to me

A friend of mine bought a brand new 88 Mustang GT conv in the fall of 87 and since winter was around the corner it was parked shortly after getting it, then he got married in Feb. and since his wife couldn't drive a standard she never drove it and he got so busy he never had the chance to drive it much. Fast forward 21 years and the car only has 5000 miles on it, it still has that new car smell when you open the door. The only thing on the car that is not original is the battery and the oil filter. He had taken it into the dealer a couple years ago to have a recalled item checked out and the whole shop was crowded around the car.

Cars like this should only be driven once in a great while just to stretch their legs and then put away. These are true time capsules and should remain as such.

As far as tires on the Dodge, I would just get another set of wheels and leave the originals mounted to the original wheels.

the cornet is beautiful orignal tires even,,,is that including orignal air in them from chrysler ??? can you say BARRETT JACKSON

I would just die to see a few pics of the kickdown linkages at the tranny if you get it up on a lift. Im making my own and need to see the bends, at the carb too if your gonna post more. THANKS

-
Back