One or Two Breathers

-
when the pedal is to the metal there is no vacuum, and the pcv is doing nothing. and that gallon of water per gallon of gas-99% of it goes out the exhaust

100% agreement! How many get to run WOT in a street car?

there is always some blowby, maybe only 1%, and with 2 breathers that blowby blows out the breathers!

Ok, that's for 6 pack correct? Per valve cover or total?
Also what if I wanted to run the damm stupid PCV, how many?
Sorry for all the questions. ..

when the pedal is to the metal there is no vacuum, and the pcv is doing nothing. and that gallon of water per gallon of gas-99% of it goes out the exhaust

Nobody said the simple PCV setup designed in the '60's is considered state of the art. There are better designs available that actual decrease blow-by and increase horsepower.

there is always some blowby, maybe only 1%, and with 2 breathers that blowby blows out the breathers!

It takes pressure to vent out the breathers. How much restriction does a slightly used breather have and how much pressure does it take to overcome this restriction. Does the moisture get trapped in the breather as the blow-by passes thru it's filtering media? Will it wind up back in the engine?

I have taken apart engines that use breathers only and found the milky oil residue inside the valve cover at their location. It's just the nature of the beast.

Can I change my choice to zero and suggest a road draft tube instead???

Ok, that's for 6 pack correct? Per valve cover or total?
Also what if I wanted to run the damm stupid PCV, how many?
Sorry for all the questions. ..

That's total. Since you have three carbs you'll only need 3 breathers if you use 3 PCV valves.

sure - when you're drag racing (pedal to the metal) - which is what the dual breathers with exhaust tubes are all about - - and IF the OP is just going racing he should run said system... but just one or two breathers - 'snot gonna work out, eggspecially on da street.. and actually, not for racing either. Baffles be damned. All in all though, not my car, not my nice new engine - do what ya gots ta do and let us know how it works out... and good luck with it!

The argument that you build up too much moisture without a PCV could also be argued that you draw in too much moisture with a PCV.
No, that argument cannot be made. The moisture accumulation issue comes from the lack of ventilation through the crankcase.

Moisture from the outside does not accumulate because the incoming air becomes heated when it gets inside the engine, and it's relative humidity goes down when this happens, and so any outside moisture does not condense insides the engine. This is not guessing or arguing or postulating; it is simply understanding the way the laws of physics actually work.

Lots of long drives will help drive out moisture in any case. But is you are daily driving and making shorter trips, then the moisture accumulation becomes a real problem with no, or a non-functioning, PCV, or other flow through system.

I'm just going to run the car with no valve covers and change the oil after each trip.

That's the best plan you've come up with so far.
thumbsup.gif
I recommend canola oil.
smirk.gif

One other small factor with running a vent only system is the vehicle at a stand still and idling, will emit an unwelcoming odor due to the crankcase vapours!

The PCV system also puts a vacuum on the crankcase helping the rings to seal. There is no downside to it.

That said, if I were even remotely thinking of running without PCV, I would run two breathers.

Last edited:
-
Back