One-Piece Strut Rod Bushing Install

-

JD Erisman

Reaction score
I've read a few posts on people struggling to get the one-piece strut rod bushing installed: using c-clamps, pounding on them etc... Maybe someone already posted this but I thought I would pass it on. I bought a brand new rubber set from Moog, made in the USA surprisingly. I first put some synthetic moly/graphite brake caliper grease on the inside lip of the bushing hole, then placed the bushings in a pan of boiling water for 10 minutes then carried the pan into the garage, put on some heavy rubber gloves that I had on the floor and ready, pulled out the bushing and with very little effort pushed them into the frame hole. Very easy and fast. I used the one-piece design because I also bought the multi-piece set from Moog, made in China, and did not like them, they didn't come with a center bushing and it appears as though the pieces would separate with repeated suspension pressure and age. When I disassembled the front suspension my car had a two-piece design already installed, I've had the car 30 years and knew it's history before I bought it so I have no idea when they were installed but they were a better design than Moog's new two-piece design but they were well beyond their life expectancy. I did not purchase a poly set of bushings because I don't like the extra harshness I've experienced with them in other suspension components, but I'm a "softer ride" kind of guy, no hard cornering for me...just straight line burn-outs for distance.

I've read a few posts on people struggling to get the one-piece strut rod bushing installed: using c-clamps, pounding on them etc... Maybe someone already posted this but I thought I would pass it on. I bought a brand new rubber set from Moog, made in the USA surprisingly. I first put some synthetic moly/graphite brake caliper grease on the inside lip of the bushing hole, then placed the bushings in a pan of boiling water for 10 minutes then carried the pan into the garage, put on some heavy rubber gloves that I had on the floor and ready, pulled out the bushing and with very little effort pushed them into the frame hole. Very easy and fast. I used the one-piece design because I also bought the multi-piece set from Moog, made in China, and did not like them, they didn't come with a center bushing and it appears as though the pieces would separate with repeated suspension pressure and age. When I disassembled the front suspension my car had a two-piece design already installed, I've had the car 30 years and knew it's history before I bought it so I have no idea when they were installed but they were a better design than Moog's new two-piece design but they were well beyond their life expectancy. I did not purchase a poly set of bushings because I don't like the extra harshness I've experienced with them in other suspension components, but I'm a "softer ride" kind of guy, no hard cornering for me...just straight line burn-outs for distance.
I just recently replaced my upper and lower control arm bushings and strut rod bushings with the one piece Moog bushings. I also had read some of the posts on how hard they were to get in. I used some Dawn dishwashing soap on them and some moderate pushing and they went in fairly easy.

I just installed mine today. I’m starting from scratch so I just popped them in the frame holés with a hammer and installed the lower control arm and strut connected together. Cake!

I just installed mine today. I’m starting from scratch so I just popped them in the frame holés with a hammer and installed the lower control arm and strut connected together. Cake!
I just did mine just like ^^^^^^^^^^^^.
I dont understand what the problem is unless you trying to put them in with the LCA in place?

I did the one-piece one time. On my old '67 Barracuda fastback. I also bought the Mopar Performance poly set. I didn't think I'd ever get them in...

-
Back