One thing that can cause a rough idle

-

RockinRobin

Reaction score
I've been having a hell of a time trying to get my 5.7 stroker in my drag car to idle. This is a new build, and I haven't done anything but start it up and idle it in the shop. Carbureted, open headers and a big cam. Thought the rough idle was due to the cam, but pulled plugs a couple of days ago and this is what #8 looked like:
8_zps867e6759.jpg

New coil for #8 is on the way.

bad plug or bad plug wire. That cylinder has been passing raw fuel. I doubt it would cause a mechanical problem. Good luck with it.

bad plug or bad plug wire. That cylinder has been passing raw fuel. I doubt it would cause a mechanical problem. Good luck with it.
Since this was posted in the new hemi swaps area and the picture is from 2 plugs from the same cylinder, it narrows it down to one of the gen 3 hemis. In this case, it's a 5.7 based motor. I wonder if the primary plug doesn't fire if there would be anything left in the chamber for the 2nd plug to fire. Since it appears that neither plug is firing I'm crossing my fingers that it is the #8 coil because that would be an easy fix.

Hmm, I've had it hooked up several times, but I don't recall seeing that diagnostic function. Thanks, I'll look for it.

Mine started missing one day and the computer was showing that it was only charging at 12.3 volts. It was also showing which coils were misfiring.
A new voltage regulator got it back to 14+ volts and all is well.

-
Back