Onw more transmission question: is it possible to change shift points??

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
I would prefer to have my 904 keep the ability to shift itself....but is there anyway to raise the shift points? I believe that this transmission shifts somewhere south of 5000 rpm...

Is manually shifting the only way?

I have done shift kits in both fords and gm i don't see why they would not have one for Dodge

Governor tells transmission when to shift.Weights have to be milled so it's not a 10 minute change.Unless you have a knowledgeable trans guy and a shop close by,you probably are better off with manual.

On my 904, if I change the cable length on the kickdown slightly( can't remember whether shorter or longer causes it to shift later) it seems to change when it shifts.. I have a lokar cable setup for the kickdown..

If you are wanting to bring the shiftpoints down (shift earlier) then back off the TP adjustment will do it. (this will affect all shifts. even kickdown)
The only other decent way of changing it in an otherwise stock trans is to add some spring to the governor valve.

If you are trying to raise where it shifts (shift later) at WOT then it has to be done inside the trans, either by less governor spring or grind off some of the gov valve weight or a shift kit that changes the shift valve springs.

On my 904, if I change the cable length on the kickdown slightly( can't remember whether shorter or longer causes it to shift later) it seems to change when it shifts.. I have a lokar cable setup for the kickdown..

More cable pull is later shifts, and less pull is earlier shifts.

"lenghten or shorten" confuses people. :D

Thank you, guys!!! Seriously, you all rock. :D

I will give A&A a call....

A&A took care of me...they're shipping the kit directly to the shop. :D

I want this thing to shift at or near 6,000...they reccommended the 5,800 rpm kit since there is some adjustability and variation.

EDIT: BTW, I just realized that this was in the Small Block Tech forum...my mistake. Thanks to everybody for not giving me any crap about that. :)

A&A took care of me...they're shipping the kit directly to the shop. :D

I want this thing to shift at or near 6,000...they reccommended the 5,800 rpm kit since there is some adjustability and variation.

Nice!

I was going to say - the ratings on the A&A governor weights are more like "guidelines" than Gospel. Its a combination of line pressure, the weights, and the kickdown setting that allows an automatic shift.

I was going to say - the ratings on the A&A governor weights are more like "guidelines" than Gospel. Its a combination of line pressure, the weights, and the kickdown setting that allows an automatic shift.
You are correct Moper it is definately a"system".Most people will drill the valve body plate-adjust the line pressure-pull the servo springs then can't understand why it just shifts hard at the same rpm's.

-
Back