Oooops!

-

jimbo

Reaction score
I knocked a piston skirt tab off my 360 (don't ask me how) Will this affect the balance of my rotating assembly? ( I'm thinking yep) I was trying to get by cheap on just a top end. The lip on the block is around .015 or so. the only other pistons I have are .060. Machining is $300 give or take. Funds are tight and I don't want to spend money I don't need to. What would Ma Mopar do? J

Ma MoPar would slap it ogther.

YOU on the other hand need to bank roll some war funds and do it right.

Balance? Like a drunk with a 1/5 down the hatch to many.

post the part # of the piston for us......we have a stash of good pistons from other thing's that made us cringe.

Thank you good sir, posting leftovers on craigslist doubletime, would it be worth it to go .060 over and save money on the pistons? I have a set with heavy duty rods ready to go.

Overbore the engine as little as possible. Ask the machinest if you can get away with just a hone job. Then get the piston you want and not just a cheap something to fill the hole.

Do it right and once with what you want rather than do it twice at twice the cost.

L2316 .030 is one I have. like he said dont just find a cheap replacement but.....if its the same as what you have and in good condition it will be as good as new...:cheers: and better to buy one piston than to bore, it'd be diffrent story if the bore was sloppy and knocked the skirt of the piston..just my opinion..Like i said give us a part # I save good parts even if not whole sets...singles sure do come in handy

Ill get that for ya. You think I can just get by with an overhaul instead of a new build?

Ill get that for ya. You think I can just get by with an overhaul instead of a new build?
the question is more of how long it will run.. putting a single replacement piston in will be WAY BETTER than one with a skirt missing (not really an option) If you hone it and cut the ridge at the top, you might get another couple years or more out of it. I did that with my 360 (cut the ridge, honed cylinders, and new rings and bearings, I probably have 35-40K on it.... std bore and std rods and mains.... it does burn oil (heads I think) and sucks gas, but it runs and I can enjoy the car till funds get more plentiful.... (does that really ever happen?)

-
Back