Open car trailer vs enclosed

Flat bed vs enclosed hauler

• Total voters
-

DentalDart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Not a what to buy poll, as I’d 100% be buying an enclosed trailer.

I just bought a house with some shops for my divorce starters… (mopars) which means I need to move my project Dart from the rental to its new home… it’s about a 40 minute drive in the back highways.

the car in question currently has no windows, no windshield, doors not latched to the closing mechanism (door bolts not installed). The fenders aren’t 100% attached and the hood and trunk have no latches….

I haven’t been able to find an enclosed trailer close to me to rent to move the dart, but I can find a flat bed car hauler rather easily. Should I just grab the flat bed hauler, and tie everything down and shut and go or… should I rent an enclosed trailer that is a 1hr drive one way from my current house. I just don’t want to drive all day but it can be done if need be.

IMG_3017.png

IMG_2436.jpeg

IMG_4164.png

Tie the hood and trunk lid down and use a ratchet strap between the doors from the inside to hold them shut. Put a couple more bolts in the fenders and roll it up on a flat bed trailer tie it down and hit the road.

Put a cheap car cover or tarps over the car.

Then get 2 of these pickup bed nets and tie everything on good.

Screenshot_20230803-202045.png

My 67 dart coming home to live with me in Colorado

Screenshot_20230803-202346.png

Dang, Doc! You're wearing that stuff out moving it....lol. The open trailer will be fine. Pick a nice day and do it. Surely there's a trunk latch in one of those boxes? You don't need the lock. A flat screwdriver will open it from the outside. As mentioned above, a ratchet strap between the doors will hold em shut. Use some cardboard between the doors and jams to keep them fro, banging and scuffing. Same with the hood. Congrats on the new shop....errrr house! :)

Put a cheap car cover or tarps over the car.

Then get 2 of these pickup bed nets and tie everything on good.

View attachment 1716122821

My 67 dart coming home to live with me in Colorado

View attachment 1716122823

That’s a pretty good idea!

Also, I didn’t mean to rub it in lol. I just have been fighting trying to find an enclosed trailer all week haha.

I’m definitely excited to get the shops, will have space to actually work on the dart. One shop is insulated and hooked up for ac, but it’s a smaller shop. Other shop is not insulated but much larger… I’m going to insulate it and install a lift or 2 somehow, the roof beams are kind of low.

We got a cool barn too. Haven’t decided what to do with this. I need a new lawnmower like 60+ in zero turn or some kind of tractor.

IMG_3997.jpeg

IMG_3998.jpeg

IMG_4012.jpeg

Dang, Doc! You're wearing that stuff out moving it....lol. The open trailer will be fine. Pick a nice day and do it. Surely there's a trunk latch in one of those boxes? You don't need the lock. A flat screwdriver will open it from the outside. As mentioned above, a ratchet strap between the doors will hold em shut. Use some cardboard between the doors and jams to keep them fro, banging and scuffing. Same with the hood. Congrats on the new shop....errrr house! :)

Good idea on the cardboard. Having the ratchet wraps on the doors won’t damage them? I think I have a trunk latch somewhere but maybe I don’t? I’m not sure. It’s been a long 5ish weeks.

The purple dart will get taken out Saturday. Gonna stop by the office and get the truck and car washed, the high school band kids are having a car wash in my office parking lot lol.

Tie the hood and trunk lid down and use a ratchet strap between the doors from the inside to hold them shut. Put a couple more bolts in the fenders and roll it up on a flat bed trailer tie it down and hit the road.

Thanks! No worries with damaging the doors holding them shut with ratchet straps?

Thanks! No worries with damaging the doors holding them shut with ratchet straps?
Shouldn't be. You can maybe catch the straps somewhere on the insides of the doors if the door panels are off. Just protect the straps from sharp edges if needed. A 3/8 or so rope from Lowes or Home Depot would work just as good tied between the doors and be less abrasive.

Shouldn't be. You can maybe catch the straps somewhere on the insides of the doors if the door panels are off. Just protect the straps from sharp edges if needed. A 3/8 or so rope from Lowes or Home Depot would work just as good tied between the doors and be less abrasive.

Lol everything is off the car pretty much. This winter maybe I’ll get a good bit done on it? That’s a big maybe.

IMG_3446.jpeg

IMG_3362.jpeg

IMG_3369.jpeg

No worries. Just don't pull the ratchet straps so tight you warp the door. It won't take much to keep em closed. A little more work on the hood fenders and trunk.

Awesome thank you! I’ll get a flat bed Saturday and get this beast over there. Tomorrow I have to rent a small trailer to pull a couple of old lawnmowers to the house… it’s going to take forever to cut the grass with these little bitty mowers. :(

You can tie from one door to the other thru the bigger square hole, down thru the smaller square hole on one door and over thru the same holes on the other door. Just tight enough to hold it shut.

Doc's door.jpeg

That’s a pretty good idea!

Also, I didn’t mean to rub it in lol. I just have been fighting trying to find an enclosed trailer all week haha.

I’m definitely excited to get the shops, will have space to actually work on the dart. One shop is insulated and hooked up for ac, but it’s a smaller shop. Other shop is not insulated but much larger… I’m going to insulate it and install a lift or 2 somehow, the roof beams are kind of low.

We got a cool barn too. Haven’t decided what to do with this. I need a new lawnmower like 60+ in zero turn or some kind of tractor.

View attachment 1716122832

View attachment 1716122833

View attachment 1716122834
Dude, you moved right to the top of the "You Suck" list!

Dude, you moved right to the top of the "You Suck" list!

Lol why is that?

I’m sure there are much nicer shops and cars on this forum than what I am getting. I do feel very grateful and blessed to be finally buying a house and for everything else in my life. It’s been 10 years of hard work and getting my *** kicked along the way to get this far.

Lol why is that?

I’m sure there are much nicer shops and cars on this forum than what I am getting. I do feel very grateful and blessed to be finally buying a house and for everything else in my life. It’s been 10 years of hard work and getting my *** kicked along the way to get this far.
My list is short on this site, but I'd love to have all my crap in one spot, not spread across town in storage and at a farm.just a little envious is all. But congratulations, you've earned it!

My list is short on this site, but I'd love to have all my crap in one spot, not spread across town in storage and at a farm.just a little envious is all. But congratulations, you've earned it!
You will get it all in one spot one day! Dont give up the dream. 11 years ago I was laying in a hospital bed, just had my son 6 months prior, I almost died a couple times. I think we had like 5 grand to our names and by the time I was out of the hospital we had none….

Don’t be to envious either, I got a crap ton of debt, I don’t even like thinking about all the debt I have haha.

I’m going to insulate it and install a lift or 2 somehow, the roof beams are kind of low
If you have a structural engineer design it right you could make pockets in the beams etc and place your lifts so that the car rides up into the pocket.

Doc you deserve everything you have worked so hard for.

I have really enjoyed watching your life unfold these last few years.

As for a mower...

Can you say hemi powered!

Or get some goats

If you are using tie down straps to hold the hood, trunk, or doors shut, I WOULD NOT connect them to the trailer. Wrap them underneath "clear around the car" protect the straps under the rockers with cardboard, and don't cinch them that tight.

Most hilarious photo I've ever seen was Steve, OldManMopar, hauling a bare empty A body strapped tot he top of his running A body "back in the day."

scan0011-jpg.jpg

mg]

If you buy and open trailer you will only need one trailer. The open trailer can haul things that an enclosed can’t like piles of dirt, gravel, swing sets, tractors, implements for tractors etc..
Ive hade my open trailer for 35 years and I have used it for just about everything besides hauling a car.
one thing, put a winch on it you will hardly ever use it, but it will be the best money you ever spent when you need it…

-
Back