Open end lugs for steel wheels...

-

Beatnik

Reaction score
Anyone wanna chime in on what they are running for lugs on steel wheels? I need to get new lugs (open ended) for my new steelies and I'm debating....I know they will be 60 degree conical seat style for steel wheel use. But should I get ones with the buldge (left picture) or no buldge (right picture)? ....just wondering what everyones experience is and where you've bought yours? Summit sells it's own brand and Gorilla brand of these two types...Gorilla is a little more expensive.

Buldge.jpg

No buldge.jpg

Hum, which one mimics stock parts best?

Not sure which is OEM? Buldge or no buldge? I'm not going for OEM correct...just best function...

If you're looking for function, use the ones with the bulge. More area to keep the wheel on the car.

bulge- protection for the wheel from the socket on the impact. wont beat the **** out of the paint on the wheel, that is if it even a concern for you.

If your running 1/2-20 studs you can use ford ford pick up truck lug nuts. They are larger in diameter, taller and give you a little more holding power. I use them when I'm running slicks with steel rims.

I don't have a pic, but flmopar on this site sells new chrome lug nuts that are a full enclosed cap. I bought a set and will use them under my cop wheel covers. Since it is an enclosed cap I can squirt a little oil on the stud and won't have to fight rust, dirt and frozen lug nuts when I need to remove them.

The price was very reasonable, but shipping added quite a bit...
C

If your running 1/2-20 studs you can use ford ford pick up truck lug nuts. They are larger in diameter, taller and give you a little more holding power. I use them when I'm running slicks with steel rims.

I do have 3" long 1/2" studs out back (std 7/16 up front), thus the need for open end lugs....so that would be nice to run a beefier lug. The taper is the same etc? Where did you buy them? What brand?

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I really don't remember where I got them or what year they were from but NAPA has a good selection. I actually got this tip from one of the Mopar Mags.

-
Back