Opinion Needed..

-

guzzimike

Reaction score
OK, so I take the Dart ( 383 Big Block, 727 TF) to a local Huntington Beach Transmission shop with an excellent rep for building High HP transmissions to ask about installing a TF-2 kit in my car because I wanna get rid of the time delay in my 2-3 shift, from when I move the lever to when it actually shifts (The delay is about a second or so).

The shop owner (Joe) test drives my car for about 15 minutes. Runs it through all its paces, both in automatic and manual shifting scenarios, comes back and tells me that the Transmission already has either a Shift Kit kit in it or someone's tweeked on it. Says NO Way it's a stock Big Block TF.

He tells me that he started in Transmissions at a MOPAR dealership back in the early 1970's and that he even has a 440 Duster at home. IOW, the guy has good bonafides.

He tells me that my Tachometer shows no RPM drop when up-shifting, so that tells him that there is no slipping and also that the Kickdown function is Dead-On..

He then sez that in order to get rid of the slight time delay, we'd have to replace clutch springs, clutches, bands, etc...and that for my purposes of a Daily Driver It's fine the way it is..That ideally there should be no "Hit" when there is a manual up-shift, that it should be a smooth transaction..

He then tells me to bring it in when the Tranny blows up..
grin.gif
and then we'll build it right...

So here's my dilemma: I still have that time-delay in the 2nd - 3rd shift..and it bugs me.

Both Art Carr and this other guy (Joe) tell me that the tranny is fine and to leave it alone...which brings me to the Question to you guys:

If this was YOUR Car, would you guys leave it as it is, and live with the slight time delay in the 2nd to 3rd (manual) shift , or would a TF-2 kit get rid of the issue..?

PM Mikel Beck. I remember him having a manual valve body for sale a while ago....

Street car + 2 pros telling you it is fine…. I would just drive it.

I would really think the manual valve body thing over before you do it….. Im my experience……… You will have people that love it or hate it in a street car.

If you are just driving it on street,shows,etc... I would just leave it be.If you are going to the track and looking for time you probably need to open it up!I've always used cheetah automatic valve bodies great.If you are driving around town think about manual valve body.

guzzimike -
30 years ago I had a reverse-pattern, manual valve body modified 727 behind a stout 340 in my old '69 340 Swinger and drove it on the SoCal streets. I loved the instant shift, either 1-2, or 2-3. And that's what's going in my 'new' '69 Dart during the build.
Your current tranny may be just fine for street driving but I'd look at a manual valve body if that's what you want.
By the way, I'm up in north OC.[FONT]

guzzimike -
30 years ago I had a reverse-pattern, manual valve body modified 727 behind a stout 340 in my old '69 340 Swinger and drove it on the SoCal streets. I loved the instant shift, either 1-2, or 2-3. And that's what's going in my 'new' '69 Dart during the build.
Your current tranny may be just fine for street driving but I'd look at a manual valve body if that's what you want.
By the way, I'm up in north OC.

I think I may go with a new Street / Strip Valve Body..

Do you ever go down to the weekly Hot Rod/ Muscle Car get-together @ Donut Derelicts in Huntington Beach..?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/reader_rides/1267446.html

http://www.donutderelicts.com/

North West corner of Magnolia and Adams, every Saturday, starting early, like get there before 7:00am...

I'm in Huntington Beach, BTW..

I put a reverse manual valve body/3800 stall/ratchet shifter in a 727/1968 TNT 440 w/six pack 1970 carb/intake /stock exhaust manifolds that I installed in a 1977 aspent R/T..that puppy would chirp all gears, Just stomping it would burn tire..a very fun put u in the seat car..

Drive it Guzzi. Now to the real deal. You're from Huntington Beach? Great memories for me there. I use to live in a set of singles apartments 1 block off of 101 and 5 blocks north of the pier. I guess you could say i was a surfer bum that worked. I really remember the surfer babes. How old are ya? I'm 58 so that would put me there about 1970 to about 1973 or so. Went to OCC over in Costa Mesa. Was in local 1453 and did my apprenticship there. Nothing but good memories. We would eat and hang out at "Egg Heaven" on 101 nursing our hangovers. O.K. i'm done. If you gona race your car then tune up the tranny. If it's a driver leave it as is. Good luck and good to see someone here from the old stompin grounds.
Small Block
West Plains, Mo

NO FREEKIN WAY im leaving power on the table. if its not chirpin tires on the shift it needs fixed unless grandma is gonna be driving.

That cop behind ya on the way to the donut place might not appreciate a
"chirp" as much as we do...with that said, do whatever makes ya feel good!

Drive it Guzzi. Now to the real deal. You're from Huntington Beach? Great memories for me there. I use to live in a set of singles apartments 1 block off of 101 and 5 blocks north of the pier. I guess you could say i was a surfer bum that worked. I really remember the surfer babes. How old are ya? I'm 58 so that would put me there about 1970 to about 1973 or so. Went to OCC over in Costa Mesa. Was in local 1453 and did my apprenticship there. Nothing but good memories. We would eat and hang out at "Egg Heaven" on 101 nursing our hangovers. O.K. i'm done. If you gona race your car then tune up the tranny. If it's a driver leave it as is. Good luck and good to see someone here from the old stompin grounds.
Small Block
West Plains, Mo

Hiya, SB...I'm 53, so that puts me in HB in the early to mid-1970s as well...

some things have changed - The Golden Bear is no more..but the Surf Babes are still there (new Crop every year...:toothy7:)

Here, just for you, a couple of "real time" scanning Surf-Cams

http://www.ci.huntington-beach.ca.us/Visitors/beach_info/livebeachcondition.cfm

BTW, my son goes to OCC....

-
Back