Opinion on a car.

-

rp23g7

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Some of you have B bodies, i think. I am going to look at a Super Bee clone on Sunday. They want $12,000 for it, It looks like a nice job, except for the interior.

Pictures can be seen here,

http://www.kompactkarkorner.com/en_u...sp?unit=284084

From the pictures, what an you tell me about it. Is it really worth 12,000 in your opinions?

Do i really miss driving a 440 this much. I am taking a non MoPar guy with me to look at it also. Just wondering what everyone thinks.

Another factor is that they wont let me have it till its paid for.

Can't see it but that dealership routinely marks stuff pretty high. I'd dicker like hell on anything they have on their lot, especially in this economy.

Can't see it but that dealership routinely marks stuff pretty high. I'd dicker like hell on anything they have on their lot, especially in this economy.

Yeah, they always mark stuff high, i have never heard anything bad about them, been around for a long time.

My old boss, Kent Chaplin, (Chaplins Volkswagon, Subaru) used to own that place with his business partner Jim. Used to bring cars from there to the lot to sell too.

I plan to spend a bit of time going over it. I walked around it last weekend, it was pretty straight. They also had a 72 Dart with a 440 in it when i was there. It had fugly big (18-20 inch) modern rims on it though, god i hate that.

It don't look bad in the pics. Like you said the interior needs work.

..they will let you take it out for a longer ride..I would whip it in to your favorite mechanic and put it up on a lift..have them check it over like an annual safety check..check compression, etc..

Ian.

..they will let you take it out for a longer ride..I would whip it in to your favorite mechanic and put it up on a lift..have them check it over like an annual safety check..check compression, etc..

Ian.

Yeah, bringing a non MoPar, non muscle car enthusiast, ( BMW collector fan) with me to get a non emoptional, non biased opinion on it too.

I agree, get it up on a lift to see how solid it is and check out the suspension and all. Looks good from here. You could get it looking pretty good inside without too much additional expence.

Coming from a dealer it's probably worth half what they are asking. Car would scare me. Int. Sucks. The ad says there is already rust poping. Go knows what is hidden under that paint just waiting to show itself. Go over that ***** with a fine tooth comb. Bring a friend that doesn't care if you get the car or not and let him look it over and pick it apart.

magnet trick doesn't always work..not sure how but a friend of mine was burnt..

Ian

I went to go check the car out, crawled all over it.

Some one did a great job on it.

Looked underneath, its been completey undercoated, no signs of rust behind the wheel wells, front or back, no tell tale signs of rust underneath the paint behind the wheel wells either.

Magnet tested all over the car. I took one of those bendable flex magnets with me, and threw it against the panels, it stuck every where i tested. Doors, hood and trunk all close like the car was brand new, with that typical Chrysler door sound. The bumpers do look kinda crappy in body color, but they dont look like someone was trying to hide anything, they are straight and there is no rust on the backside.

It does look like someone rolled the wheel wells to make room for the tires. They have some funky kinks in them in certain areas, you can see that in the pictures too.

The trunk has been completey undercoated, no signs of rust. I scraped some off and there was paint and sheet metal underneath.

It did have the typical rust under the package tray, surface mostly, looks like the rear window had been sealed though.

Looked under the dash, it had been raining and the trans hump was wet, but i felt up under the dash but didnt feel any wetness by the wiper pivots, could have been from people getting in and out.

The interior needs some work, glove box door needs a latch, carpet seems ok, but the seats are needing to be recovered.

The engine seems strong. Trans too, shifts fine, no lags between shifts. It has a 8 3/4 rear end, no clunking or anything. Needs a brake adjustment. Goes straight down the road when you let go of the wheel. The engine is a beast. Great lumpy idle, the pavement was wet so i couldnt get on it really. Electical seems ok, at least the starting circuit. I hit the gas too had at a light and stalled it, started again on 1/4 crank.

VIN is WH23F9, so a Coronet 440 with a 318. Typical non working fuel gauge MoPar, and i think it may need a Alt or a voltage regulator, as the ammeter was acting crazy. Could have been just a low battery from being a car lot car.

Picking it up tomorrow, $500 a month till the accident settlement we had in the Explorer goes through.

thats usually used to hide something. that would make me nervous.. sound like it needs quite a bit of little things for 12K. good luck with it.

I was kinda wary about that too, it obviously had a rear window leak, i scraped some undercoating off though, both on the trunk floor and a frame rail, didnt seem like there was any rust.

thats usually used to hide something. that would make me nervous.. sound like it needs quite a bit of little things for 12K. good luck with it.

Yea Joe, I thought the same thing when I read that. To me, that usually indicates replaced panels and undercoating to hide all of the welds. The rear window problem is a big one too, as not many prople go through the trouble to fix them right. I thought 12K was a little high for a car with so many things needed, and so many things already done that just aren't right, but I'm not there checking it out, and I'm not the one buying it. Good luck with the car, Geof

-
Back