Opinion on valve guide damage

-

Kernel Sanders

eating chicken wings and drinking beer
Reaction score
Ok, I have been tearing into a complete 318 I picked up late last year. I have recently began disassembly and inspection and clean up.

The guy I got it from had the engine was in an ebody used as a daily driver with some track time. He left all the fluids in it for inspection as well. Anyway everything is in excellent condition until I tore down the heads and found that that there definately was previous work done on them, new valves, new springs and shimmed accordingly. Now the seals are hard and a couple broken, I figured normal.

Here is my problem... looks to have had new guides at sometime but looks as thought they have now been knurled and there is some damage. There was nothing in the oil pan so perhaps the damage was done my the machine shop used? And IMO there is too much slop in the guides now so new guides are in order. BUT should I bother with these heads now or is that taking a chance? I dont know I just havent seen this before so my thought is to just junk em. What do you think?

Both heads have a couple like this.

Thank you

Attachments

• Valve Guide.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 162
That's not damage to the guide. That's just some of the head casting that's chipped away after the original guide was drilled out of the head. It's not pretty, but it happens. It would have been better looking had the shop just cut that part of the original guide flush with the spring seat and run valve stem seals directly on the guides, but they didn't. Those new guides may not have been knurled. Most new guides are not smooth on the inside to allow oil to be retained for better lubrication. Most reputable shops don't knurl guides any longer as it is basically a band aid and doesn't last long at all. I would have them checked out and see just how much play there is in the guides and go from there.

I agree, not very good looking but never had a problem with a head that looked like that.

well thats no issue as long as there are no potential loose pieces to fall off.

I think it's around .002 or more that the guides should be done.

Just put yer finger on the top of the guide then pull the valve in and out to see if you get a decent suction, if it's weak and puling around the stem a ton...do the guides.

jmo

Oh no not my blinker bearings! lol

'Whew' I really appreciate all your replies, I feel so much better about it. I'll clean em up and check or have checked the valve/guide tolerances.

Thank you all!

That's not damage to the guide. That's just some of the head casting that's chipped away after the original guide was drilled out of the head. It's not pretty, but it happens. It would have been better looking had the shop just cut that part of the original guide flush with the spring seat and run valve stem seals directly on the guides, but they didn't. Those new guides may not have been knurled. Most new guides are not smooth on the inside to allow oil to be retained for better lubrication. Most reputable shops don't knurl guides any longer as it is basically a band aid and doesn't last long at all. I would have them checked out and see just how much play there is in the guides and go from there.

x2, I had some valve guides knurled on a set of chevy heads years ago, I got another set of bigger valve heads a few months later and when I tore down the original heads for inspection, the knurling had worn almost completely down in less than 5000 miles.

-
Back