Opinions and thoughts wanted!

-

RSie

Idiot In Training
Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting a '74 Dart donor inner front clip to put into my '69 Cuda. It needs driver side frame rail, torsion/trans cross member, inner fenders.. so I'm doing that as a unit.
I'm thinking a little ahead.. what do I want this car to be?
I've never had the Cuda running. My brother had it started once, and told me it was a pretty lopey cam in it.. has a high rise manifold, headers. 727 trans with a 8 3/4 rear, don't know if it's sure grip, or what the gears are.
I have the drive train from the Dart. 318, 904, 8 1/4 rear with 3.23? gears. Drove it home 180 miles, engine ran ok, but burned oil, and seemed a little tired. 160,000 miles, not sure if any rebuilds on anything.
I also have a '76 360 and 727 from a motor home sitting here, with 60,000 original miles, and a receipt from a $1200 trans rebuild 2000 miles from the odometer. I know the tail stocks are different. I drove this combo in the motor home, and it ran pretty good.
My dilemma right now.. do I want to build this car to be a snorty street fighter with the small block that's in it, keep the 727 and 8 3/4.. manual steering/brakes that it has now, painted floor with floor mats, AM radio... etc. Replace the axles in the rear so I have big bolt pattern all the way around.
OR.. do I build it as a nice car to drive.. power steering and brakes from the Dart, 360 from the motor home, 8 1/4 rear (open) from the Dart. Hook up the A/C from the Dart (Cuda is an A/C car, and I have a source to fill the orig A/C), dynamat to make it quiet, carpet, nice stereo.. just make a nice driving car.
As a side note, I'm thinking about letting the 16 yr. old drive it to prom.. and maybe the wife might drive it home from a show (if I ever go to one, not much for shows) if I decide to have a beer or 10..
On one hand, I'd like it if she likes riding in or driving the car.. on the other hand, I'd like it if she didn't like riding in or driving the car...
Thoughts anyone?

Sounds like you already know what you want - a car that can kick *** when you need too but has manners the wife can tolerate for a ride once in a while and won't land Jr. in jail if you toss him the keys. I would get the motor in it now (?) running and definitely keep the manual steering and 8 3/4. You can always swap ratios. And consider the A/C. Clean it up and put a carpet kit in and go cruising!

I should have noted, I'm thinking about getting a 4 dr. Dart or Valiant to throw the 'snorty' stuff into.. make a sleeper out of it. Be fun to blow off the 4 cyl. kids with a ugly pea green 4 dr. sedan...

I think an HO 360 in the Barracuda, with aluminum heads and 185psi cylinder pressure and about 220* to 228*@.050,with 3.23s,a 2800TC,and an A998 with a 2.74 low gear, will fill out the shopping list just fine.
Get a rev-limiter, and hide it where they won't find it. If they hit it, they might ask you why it runs funny when revved out. Just tell 'em you guess it needs plugs or make something up, they'll never know.Will they?

Last edited:
A-bodies are light. A 360 with a smallish .455" cam, 750carb, 3.55 suregrip and a good tune will be plenty of fun on the street, mild mannered and still use the A/C.

I think an HO 360 in the Barracuda, with aluminum heads and 185psi cylinder pressure and about 220* to 228*@.050,with 3.23s,a 2800TC,and an A998 with a 2.74 low gear, will fill out the shopping list just fine.
Get a rev-limiter, and hide it where they won't find it. If they hit it, they might ask you why it runs funny when revved out. Just tell 'em you guess it needs plugs or make something up, they'll never know.Will they?
Ya lost me dollar-wise with the aluminum heads, lol. Didn't think of a rev limiter though.. that just might fit the bill. Thanks!

-
Back