opinions needed

-

ibleedmoparts

Reaction score
i just bought a 71 duster, /6...original plans was a 400, 4 speed...but....i have a 30k 318 i rebuilt in 99'(new rings, bearings, the whole shebang)...i plan on driving the duster nearly every day...the 318 is a 1977, stock bore, 360 heads, 4bbl intake and stock 360 cam...904 trans...the car has 2:76 gears...i want to run air on the car...now, should i freshen up the 318? use the auto trans? convert to 4 speed? change the rear? what cam should i use or any other tips are appreciated gang...i like the mass opinions of the forum
THANKS!
Floyd :thumbup:

you didn't make it clear if you have the 400 engine already or not. i will say if it is to be a daily driver car , keep it simple! go with the 318. freshen it up, put it in and drive it. you can change the cam if you want or feel the need to, and be happy. the rear gears can also be changed out to a better gear to keep expences down, without changing the whole rear. your call though....

yep, i already have a 400...torn down awaiting rebuild...plus bellhousing and an auto trans as a spare...what cam do u suggest for the 318? gear selection? trans?

If your gonna use it as a daily driver use the 318 and save the 400 for another project.
I'm putting a 383 auto. in 71 Duster but it's not gonna be a daily driver.

step the gear up to a 3.23. it is a great livable gear that will help move the car a little easier without robbing the wallet. automatic tranny since your car is already setup for it. for cam there are alot of choices. the stock 340 cam is a good choice. comp cam xe256h is another.

you don't have any 302 heads do you? if you do use them instead of the j heads. it will help on the compression side of things. the j heads will further lower compression on it to the 7's.....

not sure on the 302's, i never really payed attention to the cating #'s ...i have a 1968 dart 318...complete car and engine with heads...think those are the ones?

I to would go with the small block set up.

I could always find plenty of power and rumble
With 3.23. gear's and a stock built small block
With a good rv or 340 camshaft.
A 71 duster V8 would be lighter
The big block would go in and would work just fine.
It might be me but
"I think it would stop and turn better."
and not over loud the tourtion bar's and bushing's with the small block.
Just me :thumbup:

no the 302's were heads from a late model 318 that came from the factory w/ 4-barrel carbs. i do belive around 1980-87 is when you wil find them. they are swirl port heads that really help the 318's with fuel and power. they have a smaller combustion chamber size for added compression to boot!

scratch that you have a 68 318. that is a good higher compression motor to start with. your heads will work fine.....what if anything have you done to the j heads?

well, i havent rebuilt the 68 318, i have a 77 318 rebuilt...far as the 302's...anyone on here have any for sale?

check the casting numbers on the 77. i don't think that they are 302's but it wouldn't hurt to look. the 77 318 will definetly need the 302's to perform. compression will be in the 7's with the j heads. 302 castings, were circa 86-91

My experience with a 318 Duster: Fairly noticable improvement in responsiveness on a fairly stock 318 when I dumped the J heads and ran 318 casting heads.
On the camshaft; MP engine book touts their #p445259 (430/450 lift) as a modern version of the old 340 cam making the same horsepower, but more low end torque. I went one up to the 445261 unit(450/455 lift) and found it to be great for a daily driver that had a slightly looser converter than stock.
On 318 vs the 400..... Iam basically lazy (prefers to be effecient?), staying small block is alot easier and less garage time for what you want to use the car for now. An 8 .25" rear with 3.21 gearing would be great for performance and durability. The 400 will probably deserve an 8.75 rear , a 727 TF,larger capacity radiator, and brakes.
But then again, what are the long term goals? Will you be bored quickly with the performance of the 318? Sorry, but those are the mental gymnastics I always seem to put myself through and my buddies have heard them all. Have fun with the project!!

whats everyone got against a B.B. daily driver i am working on a 73 duster w/ B.B. for a daily driver- just seem like it will put a smile on my face when i fire it up in the morning

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

Here's mine: I've learned that changing the motor is not a big deal. Go with what you've got already, the 318 for now and if you're not happy, build up the 400 then swap! No biggie!

65s is right as far as I'm concerned.

Though I'd tell ya skip the BS and do the 400 right off the bat. It is a smiles per mile recipe.
However, if your in need of mileage, 318 it.

dazedduster said:
whats everyone got against a B.B. daily driver i am working on a 73 duster w/ B.B. for a daily driver- just seem like it will put a smile on my face when i fire it up in the morning

I have nothing against a big-block for a daily driver but if he has a long commute the small-block would be easier on the wallet.

-
Back