Opinions on 360 build

-
Need to find a roller cam 360, do a "light" rebuild....maybe, hone the cylinders, new rings on stock pistons, new bearings, HV oil pump, double roller chain with a tensioner, gaskets and seals and just top it off with a very mild hyd. roller cam, 4 bbl carb/intake and headers and call it a day.

Maybe $1500 including the price of said "roller cam 360"

8.5:1 CR isnt that bad....especially for a "driver" car.

10:1 with iron heads ping easily when not tuned properly....but then you have to be able to read plugs, and jet accordingly until you either cure the ping, or have to go to a bigger carb....duh.

Pre-detonation happens when the air fuel charge heats up to combustion temp before the plug ignites the mixture...the LACK of fuel to "cool" the charge so to say.

10:1 on pump gas with iron heads is a fine line I dont care who says its not.

I do take the Numbers with a grain of salt. It is not like he is advertising a product though, so the #'s are probably close to truth.

Let me burst the bubble a bit.

Those numbers were from magazine builds. Tested, from what I recall, on one of the happiest dynos in SoCal...

They were for "selling" parts and I believe all of them were from Dulcich. I don't think any of them were "track" tested either. Proof is in the MPH/HP test.

You're right, I don't accept them as i know better!

If you want to use them to distinguish a trend from build to build, OK. I wouldn't take those numbers, especially #9 as anything but a bit happy.

#9 is a bit happy, but it just amazed me that it made that much power. I will eat some of my words. Making 400+ on the rebuild would not be bad at all though! Lets all have a BEER!!:drinkers:

It's cool.

Like the 395hp 340 with a XE268H comp cam and stock 2.02 heads... yeah right! Another happy magazine build.

Getting 400 really streetable hp out of a 360 is possible with a sharp selection of parts.

With the new RHS X heads, it's easy than before.

Need to find a roller cam 360, do a "light" rebuild....maybe, hone the cylinders, new rings on stock pistons, new bearings, HV oil pump, double roller chain with a tensioner, gaskets and seals and just top it off with a very mild hyd. roller cam, 4 bbl carb/intake and headers and call it a day.

Maybe $1500 including the price of said "roller cam 360"

8.5:1 CR isnt that bad....especially for a "driver" car.

10:1 with iron heads ping easily when not tuned properly....but then you have to be able to read plugs, and jet accordingly until you either cure the ping, or have to go to a bigger carb....duh.

Pre-detonation happens when the air fuel charge heats up to combustion temp before the plug ignites the mixture...the LACK of fuel to "cool" the charge so to say.

10:1 on pump gas with iron heads is a fine line I dont care who says its not.

Good info here^^^^^

My combo with the 107s and stock heads was pinging with a holley 670 street avenger.

I have an air fuel meter and it was lean in the mid rpms even when jetted too fat on top and it was pinging on 94 octane with only 28 total timing and I couldnt bring the timing in until around 4000.

I switched to a pro max prepped 750 dp and it shows a lil rich on the a/f meter but no ping at 36 timing all in at 1500 now

So the closer you get to 10:1 the more precise you HAVE to be with the tune.:read2:

10:1 on today's pump gas? You betcha...even for us "layman".

Think: QUENCH.

But what yall are missin here is, I'm not including quench in my comments. Quench technology in the aftermarket is still fairly new. I am speaking from just a static compression point of view. Yes, you can do all kinda stuff with fancy quench tops on pistons, but guess what? They are not legal for all classes of racing. You put your 10.5 quench motor in a claimer race and see what happens. "I" get the quench point. I've been doing this a long time. what I am saying is, without modern quench and alloy heads....or both, the old rule of thumb still stands with static compression and pump gas. Ain't no way around it.

But what yall are missin here is, I'm not including quench in my comments. Quench technology in the aftermarket is still fairly new. I am speaking from just a static compression point of view. Yes, you can do all kinda stuff with fancy quench tops on pistons, but guess what? They are not legal for all classes of racing. You put your 10.5 quench motor in a claimer race and see what happens. "I" get the quench point. I've been doing this a long time. what I am saying is, without modern quench and alloy heads....or both, the old rule of thumb still stands with static compression and pump gas. Ain't no way around it.

Is that have to do with 2 or 4 valve reliefs Explain the quench please?

No one has mentioned anything about the aluminum Edelbrock Performer RPM heads (EDL-60779). Any opinions?

ok guys well this is all great but i don't plan on having 10-1 compression, its just too much, i know it can be done but trying to get a motor to run well with that much compression is just beyond my skills, i'm planning on keeping it closer to 9.5-1, it'll be easier to tune and easier on gas. thanks for the opinions but i need to stay on track

WoW, Didn't meen to upset you Doug.

No worries...not upset. Just want to clear up the "myth" that these 4" crank small blocks cost big dough. Especially when I found out that a dumbass like me can screw a low-dollar one together that makes pretty good power.

We now return to you regualrly scheduled chaos...

-
Back