Opinions on 71 Demon Clone for sale

-
That's a clean example. I have a strong pull for 71 vs 72, for sentimental reasons being what my dad drove, as well as the crank, heads, & other differences.
I understand completely. Keep in mind though, not all 72s had the cast crank. From September 71 to about April of 72, those still had the steel crank. So if it's that first half of 72, it's probably steel. The heads of course would be small (1.88) valves. Of course, these cars are so old, anything's possible now.

It's a clone of what? Fender says demon 340, but has a 360. The 360 wasn't available in the 1971 demon. If it's a clone, it should have a 340 in it. What's the 5th digit of the vin, car could had a slant 6, 318. It's a nice car for sure. But not a true clone in my opinion.
What's surprising to me is that since the resto in '08, it was published in Mopar Muscle, went through the auction processes at both Mecum & Barrett Jackson, now on consignment, all advertised as a 340ci. A lot of eyes on this build over 14 years, and yours truly, a noob in most regards, sees the casting & calls out 360ci. Crazy stuff

That's a clean example. I have a strong pull for 71 vs 72, for sentimental reasons being what my dad drove, as well as the crank, heads, & other differences.

Hard to say what that 360 will have in it too, it would have been a cast crank from the factory

I mean, I know we’re picture racing here, and both cars have the wrong hood scoops (they should switch!) but outside of the 360 the ‘71 looks to be a lot more accurate on the restoration details than that ‘72.

Of a 340 car. It was a /6 from the factory

I mean, I know we’re picture racing here, and both cars have the wrong hood scoops (they should switch!) but outside of the 360 the ‘71 looks to be a lot more accurate on the restoration details than that ‘72.

Of a 340 car. It was a /6 from the factory.
It's a nice car for sure, but definitely not a clone. In my opinion, a clone would be as close to the actual car as possible, engine, transmission, etc. I know that it wouldn't be number matching but date code correct. GYC did a duster 340 clone and they used a engine, transmission that were date code correct for the year of car that they did. The differential and leaf springs,gear ratio was what was available for a 340 duster that year, I think it was a 1972 but not sure. They even used the paint color code that the owners original 340 car was. Now that's a clone, again it's a awesome looking car, and I know that it couldn't be built for the asking price.

What's surprising to me is that since the resto in '08, it was published in Mopar Muscle, went through the auction processes at both Mecum & Barrett Jackson, now on consignment, all advertised as a 340ci. A lot of eyes on this build over 14 years, and yours truly, a noob in most regards, sees the casting & calls out 360ci. Crazy stuff
Well I would be asking the question if it has an incorrect 360, what else is incorrect? It could still be a nice car though......just not 40K nice, IMO.

It's a nice car for sure, but definitely not a clone. In my opinion, a clone would be as close to the actual car as possible, engine, transmission, etc. I know that it wouldn't be number matching but date code correct. GYC did a duster 340 clone and they used a engine, transmission that were date code correct for the year of car that they did. The differential and leaf springs,gear ratio was what was available for a 340 duster that year, I think it was a 1972 but not sure. They even used the paint color code that the owners original 340 car was. Now that's a clone, again it's a awesome looking car, and I know that it couldn't be built for the asking price.

And that’s your opinion. I disagree . Clones don’t have to be 100% accurate, if they were, they wouldn’t be clones would they? If you’re building a historically accurate copy of some famous car that’s one thing. If you just want to put some 340 stickers on it that’s a whole different ball game.

The fact that the magazine article and the last two owners didn’t know the difference says a lot.

Well I would be asking the question if it has an incorrect 360, what else is incorrect? It could still be a nice car though......just not 40K nice, IMO.

Just based on the 100 pictures, a lot less in incorrect about it than the ‘72 340 car you posted.

And respectfully, I think your pricing is a bit behind the current market. If you look at what some of the auctions have done lately, it’s insane. Those are auctions to be sure, but they do still track the market even if they’re the upper end. I think that $40k ask is less than $10k out of whack.

The 360 wasn't available in the Demon. Somebody just simply V/8'd a 6 cylinder car. Badging doesn't make it a clone.

And that’s your opinion. I disagree . Clones don’t have to be 100% accurate, if they were, they wouldn’t be clones would they? If you’re building a historically accurate copy of some famous car that’s one thing. If you just want to put some 340 stickers on it that’s a whole different ball game.

The fact that the magazine article and the last two owners didn’t know the difference says a lot.

Just based on the 100 pictures, a lot less in incorrect about it than the ‘72 340 car you posted.

And respectfully, I think your pricing is a bit behind the current market. If you look at what some of the auctions have done lately, it’s insane. Those are auctions to be sure, but they do still track the market even if they’re the upper end. I think that $40k ask is less than $10k out of whack.
You could well be right......because I never look at cars like these since I'll never own one. I admit to that 100%.

And respectfully, I think your pricing is a bit behind the current market. If you look at what some of the auctions have done lately, it’s insane. Those are auctions to be sure, but they do still track the market even if they’re the upper end. I think that $40k ask is less than $10k out

For grins I looked up the meaning of clone, it means to copy or to reproduce as close to the original as possible. So, going by that the car is not a 360 clone as the 360 wasn't available in the demon, it doesn't have a 340 so it's not a 340 demon clone. It's a 6 cylinder car that had a V/8 installed. I'm not a expert by any means, but from what I've read, heard, seen, it's not a true clone or tribute car. I welcome any and all corrections on this topic.

For grins I looked up the meaning of clone, it means to copy or to reproduce as close to the original as possible. So, going by that the car is not a 360 clone as the 360 wasn't available in the demon, it doesn't have a 340 so it's not a 340 demon clone. It's a 6 cylinder car that had a V/8 installed. I'm not a expert by any means, but from what I've read, heard, seen, it's not a true clone or tribute car. I welcome any and all corrections on this topic.
For 14 years folks believed it to be a clone, until someone pulled back the curtain on the driver's side of the block.. To be fair, the seller's foamboard calls it a restomod, which is perhaps more accurate? Was tripower a carb option on the Demons?

For 14 years folks believed it to be a clone, until someone pulled back the curtain on the driver's side of the block.. To be fair, the seller's foamboard calls it a restomod, which is perhaps more accurate? Was tripower a carb option on the Demons?
Restomd was the other term that I was thinking about. No, The only 340's that had the 340 6 pak was the challenger, I believe that it was the roadrunner and chargers that had the 440 6 pak. Some people believe that the hemi had the 6 pak option, but they didn't.

Negative on the Six Pack.

Lemmie ask you this. What's your purpose? If you want something to actually DRIVE and have a good time with, you might want to look more at a driver than a nut and bolt restoration. Just a thought.

Here's a link to 250 photos of the car, you can see almost every bolt on the thing

1971 Dodge Demon For Sale~340/450hp~4 Speed~Bench~Like Brand New!
We all love our cars. But it's easy to put more money into them than what they are worth. I think that most of us do it for personal satisfaction and enjoyment. Now this has been a couple of years ago when Mark on GYC said that he doesn't restore many A body mopars because the value isn't there. I think that maybe he's done 3 or 4, I'm not positive on that one.

Lemmie ask you this. What's your purpose? If you want something to actually DRIVE and have a good time with, you might want to look more at a driver than a nut and bolt restoration. Just a thought.
It's a fair question, I would lean more toward a driver. Trouble with a car like this is it hasn't been driven enough to know how things really work together. I've just spent the last 6 months in driver quality hell getting things right on another car, so not sure which is worse

We all love our cars. But it's easy to put more money into them than what they are worth. I think that most of us do it for personal satisfaction and enjoyment. Now this has been a couple of years ago when Mark on GYC said that he doesn't restore many A body mopars because the value isn't there. I think that maybe he's done 3 or 4, I'm not positive on that one.
True, he had to call in his arch rival of Mopar knowledge (Tony?) to go over a Demon, in fact. Minute 13

When I find a car the first thing I do is research parts availability. I know that parts can be found on the internet but then you have to take the chance on them being unusable. There was a guy not far from me that scraped his 74 dart sport because of no replacement parts for the interior ( trim pieces for the doors and pop out windows). He worked full time and didn't have the extra time to go internet looking.

IDK, it’s probably worth that or a bit under that. Like 72 said, you can’t build it for that.

My biggest concern is the seller doesn’t know a 71 Demon (or anything else for that matter) didn’t came with a V6. And how did a couple of guys spend that kind of money and not look at the casting number to verify what it is?

If it’s a 360 with a stock crank the damper is a dead giveaway that it’s not an 71 or early 72.

That should lead to a much closer investigation.

Top 3 things checked(for the most part) when buying a car..
Vin
Fendertag
Block casting.
This cars been thru a few lying SOS hands lol.

So, how the heck was it not known that the motor is a 360 if the car was fully restored?

As for the price, as must of us know. We will never get the money out of it that we have put in, unless someone has a ton of money and does not mind blowing a wad. Any time someone asks for how much for my car, I say a 100 grand, can it’s an FU number as I’m not selling.

So without putting the car on a lift and spending an hour looking at all of it for some hackery 20 to 30 grand. Who cares what it sold for last, does not mean it was worth it then.

This car is in Tennessee, but if you're lookin to pay 40K plus, shipping wouldn't be something to argue about. Check it out.
1972 Dodge demon 340
I don't think the hood is done correctly. (I have a 71 twin scoop hood that would fix that problem) Lol.
I think the wing is a 71 only option.
I would do $40k on a number matching 340 4 speed car like this if not a bondo special.

Last edited:
Back on the 360 being promoted as a 340.
Had they been honest at the start and said the car has a built 360 with aluminum heads aftermarket Cam and a six pack setup the car would have drawn a different buyer but I think that being honest would have made up for the fact it's not a 340.
It's a very nicely done car no doubt about it. But the hood scoop an the engine knocks it out of being a clone. Jmho

-
Back