Opinions on exhaust

-

7DUSTER3

1973 Plymouth Duster 360
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Help me out, I'm looking for an exhaust system a little louder and obnoxious then what i currently have in my duster. Something that will complement my cam in the 360 nicely. We have a full 3 inch tti setup (i know i should have went 2.5) with the x pipe and dynomax super turbos running out back. I have 260 miles on my new motor and the super turbos are a little quieter then what we had in mind. Would dumping the exhaust before the axle make a difference? I have fix it ticket loud in mind. I figure im young what the heck. I'm not opposed to any ideas hit me with your opinions!!

I have been listening to the exhaust clips on here for about an hour and can't make up my mind. What will set off them alarms?!?!

Thanks,

Bryce

Flowmasters are up there on the loud scale, I personally don't like them though because IMO they have too much of a tinny, rattley sound. The Dynomax Ultra Flos are louder (but still quiet at cruise), as are the Hooker Aerochambers. I believe glasspacks are the loudest but have a much less "polished" sound to them and are a bit restrictive unless you get high-quality ones.

One other solution, electric powered cutouts8) Flip of a switch you can go from senior citizen, frightner, Cop magnet, to within the law, with what you allready have:-\"

When I bought my car it had 273, Hooker headers, 2.5 exhaust, Flomaster 40s, and ran out the back with no exhaust tips. The very first thing I did is removed the tail pipes from the mufflers to the back of the car. Fortunatly they wasn't welded but bolted. That made a big difference in which it made the exhaust tone deeper and louder. It sounded like a big block. This what I recommend you to do ... is to remove the tail pipes and "dump" it before the rear axle. I hear a lot of people say "Don't bump it the exhaust fumes will come back up inside the car!" I think this could happen if the car has holes in the floor boards, trunk, etc... but I always Dynomat my cars and make sure everything is kind of air tight if you know what I mean. I don't have that problem.

I now have a 360, TTI headers, 3" pipes going into 2.5 X-pipe, the same Flo 40s, dumped. The X-pipe WILL quieten the exhaust down a great deal.

Electric cut outs. I have one on my 03 Dodge ram and it worked fine for a while then started leaking. They accumulate exhaust residue around where the butter fly closes and then it does not seal very well. Be prepared to clean it every so often. I had to replace the electric motor once. More money. The switch for cut out is not like a light switch where on is on and off is off. I have to hold the switch until the butter fly closes and same thing when I open it. The instructions say that "Don't hold the switch to long on the motor will be damaged!" They say also to "Bump the switch instead of holding it until the cut out closes." Well I know for a fact that is not what damaged my motor because I would shut the truck off so I could hear the electric motor and bump it closed until the butter fly closes. I did my best to keep from damaging the motor another words and still had problems. I couldn't imagine having two of them on my cuda. They aren't worth it in my honest opinion, PITA! I have the QuickTime electric cut out so if shopping for one I believe I would pass on theirs.

If you want a cut out type system talk to VOETOM on here... he's got some great cut out type mufflers. They are sweet!

I believe if you yank those tailpipes you'll be happy with it!
I've set off a few alarms! LOL!

Good luck!

If you want LOUD and obnoxious then get a set of flowmasters personally i don''t like them,and everything i've heard them on sounds the same and too loud for my taste...

when i had my dart, i put a new flowmaster exhaust system on it and it sounded awesome. very loud, just what i like. if you want to wake the neighbors up in the morning then get flowmasters. thats my choice.

I have Schumacher headers with a 2.5 exhaust with H pipe, Flowmasters, that dump in front of the axle. You'll definitely get people's attention. It's loud, but in my opinion not annoying loud. One unsuspected benefit? Wife hates the noise and won't set foot in my car. Priceless!

yes dumping the exhaust at the rear will make it louder but annoying too. exhaust smell in the car and all.

just stick some flow masters on in place of the dynomax. it will get loud.

I had Magnaflows before I switched to Flowmasters. The Flowmasters are loud to but when I get on it really hard they don't rap as loud as the Maganflows did. I'm running tailpipes out the back and I think the Flowmasters are louder at crusing speed but a little quieter at wide open throttle.

Hell, after all these years of loud exhausts maybe I'm just partailly deaf so take my word for it! lol...

Thanks for all the replies, i think what I'm going to do first is take off the pipes and just try and dump the super turbos before the axle, after all that kit is all bolt on shouldn't take more then 20 minutes to test that idea out. We are in the process of redoing the interior and everywhere is getting dynomat. This is my first experience with dynomat but I'm sure it will work. As far as cut outs go, i have been pondering this thought as well but those can wait. If removing the pipes doesn't work i'm thinking maybe 2 flowmaster 40 series dumped before the axle will work. ( more time spent listening to your burnouts and idles)

I have a flowmaster 50 series on my 05 ram and it sounds mean. I'm hoping for the same effect on my duster. Ill keep you guys posted as far as what way we go...

Bryce

Thanks for all the replies, i think what I'm going to do first is take off the pipes and just try and dump the super turbos before the axle, after all that kit is all bolt on shouldn't take more then 20 minutes to test that idea out. We are in the process of redoing the interior and everywhere is getting dynomat. This is my first experience with dynomat but I'm sure it will work. As far as cut outs go, i have been pondering this thought as well but those can wait. If removing the pipes doesn't work i'm thinking maybe 2 flowmaster 40 series dumped before the axle will work. ( more time spent listening to your burnouts and idles)

I have a flowmaster 50 series on my 05 ram and it sounds mean. I'm hoping for the same effect on my duster. Ill keep you guys posted as far as what way we go...

Bryce

Make sure you let us know if you liked it or not.

I have 3" flowmasters (60 series) with 2.5" tailpipes on my Duster. Sounds awesome! With zero resonation inside the car! I drive with the stereo off. :)

It's loud when on the hammer. Deep rumble at idle. Ask my neighbour. He hates the noise at 5:30 in the morning when I go to work.

Mark

Bryce

make sure you put some kind of turn down on it so all that hot exhaust doesn't blow right on the shocks and gas tank.

Well guys we got back half of the pipes off and it does sound a bit louder then before. I think i can live with the results for now. Im don't have turn downs for it at the moment. The interior even with the dynamat is a lot louder but i think the turn downs it will help a bit. Thanks for all of your help guys.

Bryce/Bob

Well guys we got back half of the pipes off and it does sound a bit louder then before. I think i can live with the results for now. Im don't have turn downs for it at the moment. The interior even with the dynamat is a lot louder but i think the turn downs it will help a bit. Thanks for all of your help guys.

Bryce/Bob

:cheers: I kind of figured you could live with right now! LOL!

I know that it made a big difference with my car.

No sound bites, but I have TTI step headers, 3" X-pipe system and Dynomax UltraFlo mufflers ending at the rear axle. I like it much more than expected when I installed it over 2 years ago and have gotten lots of compliments from the open header racers. At idle I can hear my frame-mounted blue Holley pump, but it get pretty loud when I stomp on it. It flows pretty well because the 360 has gone 11.31 @ 115 weighing 3,540+ with unported 1.88" intake heads, .474" lift cam and 10.5 compression.

the ultra flows sound like they are the hot ticket performance wise, but i think flowmasters are louder...i would love to see a side by side test between the ultra flows and super 40's sound wise(I hear also one ultra flow is louder than the other- i think the welded is louder than ss)

the ultra flows sound like they are the hot ticket performance wise, but i think flowmasters are louder...i would love to see a side by side test between the ultra flows and super 40's sound wise(I hear also one ultra flow is louder than the other- i think the welded is louder than ss)

Here is a comparison chart that VOETOM posted not to long ago.

silentpower2.JPG

-
Back