Opinions on this Dart

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
I'm always trolling craigslist, all the western states. Looking for a clean car to use as a driver.

Found this 1964 Dart, slant6, 4-speed. Pretty clean body, disk brakes, but looks like it will need upholstery work on the front seats, and some cleanup under the hood.

What are your thoughts on the price ? It seems a little high compared to other 64's I've seen on line. I'm thinking more like 5K.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/4697562252.html

it does seem a little high but then on the flip side that does seems like a very clean car with most of the goodies most people want such as a 4 on the floor and bucket seats which look real Coca-Cola in there. Its a slant six which is a plus for some people but if a six wasn't your thing.....big deal, you can slap a 318 in there pretty easy. (I would leave the six in place)

I am not very savvy on early As because I don't do too much early stuff but if I were into early ones this would a great consideration because of the cleanliness and what it is. It would cost a grand these days to do a 4 speed swap ....consider that.

The whole thing seems way high but that is how it goes these days but maybe there is a little negotiation room??.

really what you need is another 68 ....or maybe a 69 dart box car. for the kind bread that the 64 is up for, you can probably score another six cylinder box dart.

You can see that the original paint was gold. Paint looks good in pictures.Sounds like it may need tranny work,interior.On the plus side looks like all trim is there. I'm with you @ $5000. Never know if you don't ask. I bought mine for $1800.The guy started out at $3500. Go for it.!

I've seen that one on craigslist for quite a while. It looks clean, but 7k for a slant six early A is on the high side to say the least. That's just my opinion. You can find a clean 67-69 w/ smallblock for not much more.

Money talks,All you can do is ask.
I have a nephew that lives in Sac and he went and checked out the 65' Cuda for me that I just bought in March. He would probably do the same for you long as you float him a few bucks and gas money. If interested or can't find another area member pm me with your phone #.

really what you need is another 68 ....or maybe a 69 dart box car.

Not so sure about that. I've had several A-bodies in the 68-72 year range. I've been looking at early A's for a driver cause I want something a little different than what I've had before. My first choices for an early A would be, 66Valiant or 64 Dart.
And I would keep the slanty in it.

Not so sure about that. I've had several A-bodies in the 68-72 year range. I've been looking at early A's for a driver cause I want something a little different than what I've had before. My first choices for an early A would be, 66Valiant or 64 Dart.And I would keep the slanty in it.

Rodger that, I will keep an eye out for something clean around here.....I never pay attention to early ones but they are around.

There was a 66 valiant for sale in springs, a red one but I don't know about the condition.

There is also a Barracuda 65 in fountain but I think it might need a lot of work.

I'd be real curious about the reason for one white inner fender and the white core support. How hard was it hit and what is still bent. Based on the el cheapo seat covers, plan on reupholstering the front seats and possibly the back to get a match. I personally would knock off at least 2K for the blowtie brakes on the front and make him swap the old ones back on before I would move the car, but that's just me...

64 is my favorite early A year. Looks like a nice car and all the expensive stuff has been done. It would cost $5000 for the body work and paint unless you are handy with that sort of thing and have the place to do it. Ask less. Just in case. Good luck! tmm

Looks like a nice car for a not-too-terribly-high price to me...how much would it cost you to get a typical '$2500' Dart to look that nice, convert to disc brakes, buy new wheels, etc. (assuming it runs well)?

Not so sure about that. I've had several A-bodies in the 68-72 year range. I've been looking at early A's for a driver cause I want something a little different than what I've had before. My first choices for an early A would be, 66Valiant or 64 Dart.And I would keep the slanty in it.

kinda strange how a hobbyists taste may change over time .....I am with you in wanting something different than what was had previously. Only difference is I am going the other way and wouldn't mind finding a 73+ dart or duster down the road. I never used to pay attention to them but after going through a gazillion cars in 68-72 range, the later ones look more appealing now.

Good luck finding something cool that makes you happy.

BTW: does it have to be a 2 door or would a nice more door fit the bill? Just askin in case I run across something you might like

-
Back