Opinions - Thinking of purchasing this 64 Two Door ( Non- Mopar )

-

Kmrumedy

Reaction score
First off...DO NOT KILL ME. I am asking a question about a Ford. DO NOT KILL ME

I know this is a Mopar forum so I posted this in the general area. But I have lots of friends on here and I trust their opinions.

I posted this on the Falcon forum too but I don't know anyone there. DO NOT KILL ME

Figure a few on here might know these cars better than me. I like the body style of 64 Falcons but don't know anything about Fords.

DO NOT KILL ME

Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on a car I am considering buying and wanted to know:

1. What do you think is a fair offer based on the info below
2. Any show stoppers or red flags based on the photos
3. Pro/ Cons of the car
4. Curious as to what people here think of Falcons if you have experience with them

Firstly, I live in Canada so cars are a little more expensive up here and less selection. Secondly, the car is an 11 hour round trip for me so I can't inspect in person though I will try to have a local member inspect the car for me.

Purpose of the car - I just want to use to cruise, hangout with car buddies, and have a "spirited" drive from time to time. Looking for a dependable build. I like mechanical work and wrenching. Don't mind freshing up an interior. Absolutely do not want any metal/ body shop work or paint. I like survivors. ( I also like piña coladas and walks in the rain......lol. Too soon?). DO NOT KILL ME

Only thing bugging me (and it never bugged me before) is I never noticed some two doors have the B-pillar or post car. I thought all two door Falcons were hard tops. I'm not going to race it so the advantage of extra support provided and I assume lighter weight of a post car is lost on me. But, the post car is less expensive up here.

So here is the info as I was told by seller....He is a straight shooter as far as I can tell. Just a good car guy you would meet at a show.

1964 2 door Falcon. Originally Southern California car imported to Canada by owner in 2007. One repaint long ago and really nice natural patina ( survivor look - which I gather is a popular term these days. Personally, I kind of dig the look...and thankful not to worry about scratches). Drums all round, 8 inch rear non-posi, 15 inch wheels, 4 speed. Seller has $15K in the car so far.

The Good - Not a spec of rust on body, frame, and floors are immaculate according to seller. Trim is straight and in excellent shape as are bumpers. Engine is a 302 fresh engine shop build that was blue printed putting out about 300 HP. Seller feels confident you could drive this car across the country. Car has a certain "cool" factor happening.

The Bad - The interior. Baked to death in the California sun and looks to be missing headliner or atleast rear windows panel liners are missing. Rear seat is screwed. Front seat is ruled by duct tape. Not sure if I like the stance but I assume that is an easy adjustment with these cars?

Here are all the pics that I have. Trying to figure out a fair offer. Any help is appreciated. Cheers. John.

DO NOT KILL ME

Hey Kmrumedy,

The kids and I looked at a few Falcons when looking for our project (settled on the Duster). Our criteria was a light weight car, capable of an easy V-8 swap (if not already equipped) and somewhat unique, i.e. no mustangs, Camaros etc. The Falcon fit those requirements. The ones we looked at suffered from frame/unibody rot that was beyond what we wanted to tackle. Also, I believe the 64 may be a 1 year model ( I could be wrong) so some parts may be hard to source. Overall I personally think they are cool rides that make quick little street/strip rides.

Be well,
Pat

I'm a huge fan of the model right before that one. But that one looks really nice. If you can get a good deal on it and you like it I say go for it!

no body rust is worth a million right there end of discussion lol

whether it was a 64 ford or plymouth or chevy finding one in good shape like that is a nice find.

there are mopars like that. about 6 months ago saw a '68 satellite in great shape i wanted but decided to stick with my project rather than get sidetracked lol

Wow. Cool. This is going better than I thought. Thanks for your objectivity guys.

Parts maybe a bit hard to find for it but they are around. Have it's cousin,a 64 Fairlane. There are several places to get parts for it. Last I looked parts are a bit more plentiful for the Falcon than the Fairlane. Crites http://critesperformanceparts.com/ makes some a few hot rod parts for it. Have several catalogs out in the garage, will get the names later on.

There was one in AZ that ran real well. Strong running 347/c4 car ran high 10's/low 11's....depending om the weather....one thing to keep in mind is hot rot parts for a Windsoor cost way less $$ than they do for Mopars. And there is more than 2-3 head choices out there.....and you may not need to take out a second mortgage to buy them....

Good looking car!
btw, are you aware that 64 Mustangs share the same pan as the Comets and Falcons.

The original Mustangs were essentially rebodied Falcons.

I have a buddy that has a convertible just like that.
It is a 289 hypo 4 speed.
Its a monster and a beautiful car although its not been out in years.
I say go for it!!!

many FABO members drive no mopars.... My liking spans many brands and years..

...was the first car I ever wanted to buy....no rust and all the parts there, that is worth the car alone. Our Duster was rot free... my first car I restored had holes large enough to throw cats through...I like rot free better :)

The colour doesn't look good on that car..but that can be changed. Darker colours make that car stand out. Figure on at least $1000 bucks to do the interior.

We have 2 Falcons down here..both show cars but 6 cylinder / auto / bench / 4 door in the 8K range and a red (another not great colour), jacked up v8 auto 2 door..for 18K... so the price is within the range..

I'd go for it...

Looking at it again, that looks like the color our Fairlane might have been at one time....

Super-easy disc swap: strip the front end of any 1971-77 Maverick/Comet or 1975-80 Granada/Monarch. Take EVERYTHING-spindles, master cylinder & booster, and the power steering parts if you want it. (Note: I THINK they still used the old Ford ram-assist setup!) A Granada 9" also bolts in.

What is the trans--Top Loader or T-10? Also, what's the axle ratio? I'm not sure ANYONE still makes gears for an 8" axle.

just noticed it has bob dylan quote on the dash "like a rollin stone"

i'd like to have a dollar for every doobie that was rolled up in that car
& dont be surpised what you might find under the seats lol

Parts maybe a bit hard to find for it but they are around. Have it's cousin,a 64 Fairlane. There are several places to get parts for it. Last I looked parts are a bit more plentiful for the Falcon than the Fairlane. Crites http://critesperformanceparts.com/ makes some a few hot rod parts for it. Have several catalogs out in the garage, will get the names later on.

There was one in AZ that ran real well. Strong running 347/c4 car ran high 10's/low 11's....depending om the weather....one thing to keep in mind is hot rot parts for a Windsoor cost way less $$ than they do for Mopars. And there is more than 2-3 head choices out there.....and you may not need to take out a second mortgage to buy them....

Great info thank you very much. Parts pricing.....yes!! I can't believe how much cheaper the Ford stuff is.

Nothing at all the matter with Falcons - cool little cars. Two-door Falcons were manufactured both as hardtops and sedans. My first car was almost a '65 Falcon Sprint but I couldn't talk my parents into it so I ended up with a '64 Olds Cutlass which was a great car to start off with.
Good luck with whatever you decide. You can't go wrong with a clean rust-free car.

Like someone else said, they had a friend who had one. My friend had a Comet from the '70's. Had a 289 bored/stroked. The PO raced it. That car would SCOOT! If you can get someone to look at it and no rust issues, then hell yeah! Get it if the price is right! After all, it's not like another Camaro, or Mustang or Chevelle, or Nova, you get the point.....non of the same o same o cars out there. Why I love my Dart, cause not ANYONE can handle a Dodge!

Let's start by saying I had a 65 Falcon that I mini tub bed , roll bar etc. Ran high 11s. I also currently own a 65 Comet. Same car, different front and rear design. Do not buy this car for anywhere near that price. The sedans are way less popular with Falcon fans, and WAY less valuable. Find a hardtop. I have seen sedans sit on Craigslist for YEARS in good condition. If this car were for sale here in that condition, it might be worth 3500. You have to remove the glass to fix the headliner. And they are different from Mustangs. The suspension parts are the same, but the car is shorter and taller.no floor pans will fit.

I've not seen one with disc brakes on the front. Not saying they aren't out there, I just haven't seen any.

My 73 Comet has drum.

I recall they were standard in 1976-77 and optional (though uncommon) back to 1971. I know they were available, I have wrenched on one. (A Mav 4-door, six/auto, not sure the year but a "big-bumper" car, so 1974+.)

I'd go $7500 as well. Find some buckets for the front and replace the back seat. You'd have yourself a nice little sleeper going with that 302!

The biggest selling point besides the engine is the no rust!

-
Back