Orange box

-

Confusedcuda

Reaction score
Are the Jegs Orange ECU's boxes any good? Need a new one and the Mopar ones are only lasting a couple of years or so. thanks

Why is your orange box only lasting a couple years? I dont think its the box. Does it get to hot where you have it installed? Heat can kill an ecu.

Beats me? THis one only made it about 3 years and I had to change once before. If this is it this time....

I have had to change my resistor once before and just got one from one of the auto parts store.

The orange box has been poor-quality junk from China for years now. Do the HEI upgrade and wind up with a better-quality spark and a more reliable module (and no ballast resistor to fail) without spending a fortune.

Second on the HEI conversion. You can then run a better E-core coil and open your spark plug gaps to 0.050". I like the GM 8-pin module and external coil w/ their cable, but the 4-pin HEI works fine too. Maybe $20 for junkyard parts.

Second on the HEI conversion. You can then run a better E-core coil and open your spark plug gaps to 0.050". I like the GM 8-pin module and external coil w/ their cable, but the 4-pin HEI works fine too. Maybe $20 for junkyard parts.
Are you using the timing control features of the 8 pin module? I've wondered about wiring one of these to a knock sensor and using cheap gas for everyday driving.

skykeith,

Not yet, but that is my plan. You are one of the few on FABO that understands why I prefer the 8-pin module. I have a Holley Commander 950 that can control spark timing. I already put in a GM knock sensor, which screws right into the water jacket if SB or BB, or w/ NPT bushing if slant. The sensor and knock module can be taken from the same GM V-8 truck, a ~85-95 TBI w/ "small cap" or "computer" distributor. The 8-pin module is under the rotor and a factory cable goes to the coil. The Commander 950 ECU can monitor knock and back off on the timing. I think there are other after-market ECU's that are similar, maybe even the last version of Holley's Pro-jection.

-
Back