Orange gel in filter

-

twayne24365

Reaction score
When setting my floats I couldn't keep them from filling the bowls so I knew there was trash in needle and seats, cleaned that and checked fuel filter. Anyone kno what this is from?

IMG_20160520_210917778.jpg

Hm, it was a new cell that had 50/50 cam2 and 93, after that 10 gal cam 2.... maybe some gunk was in the foam in the cell?

It doesn't take long for gas to 'varnish' up. How long has this been sitting?

Gas will turn an orangeish color, and setting a little longer will gel up to an extent.

Does it smell like varnish?

Gas will go bad within a couple months,if it was in the filter and carb my guess is varnish.

If it sat, with ethanol gas, then the ethanol will separate, go to the bottom, then absorb water and then form a gummy gel that looks like that.

(It is not really 'varnish' like in the older fuels like when all the light components evaporated and left the heavy stuff.)

Plus these fuels are "blends" and components will separate over time especially when static. I just pumped a bunch of orange cloudy fuel out of the wife's 65 Mustang.....

Hm, that's wierd, it hasn't been sitting long, not near as long as my dads car and his has never had that problem....maybe I should check his fuel filter too now

Humidity and water absorption into the fuel may have a lot to do with how fast it goes bad. Just take some new gas, put it in a bucket and let it set for a while. You'll eventually see a layer forming on the bottom (the alcohol). Then let it rain a bit into the bucket and come back later and you will see the orange gel in the bottom. I've seen this with older gas that I have a set outside to let evaporate.

The OP in MD and it can be pretty humid there; the last 1-2 months has been really wet.

BTW, I dunno the mix of Cam 2 to see if that was a factor.

Well for ocean city the tank was about empty and used straight cam2.. but before it did have some pump swill

You ought to find out if the fuel has alcohol in it..... methanol and ethanol are pretty common race fuel additives.

Plastic hardened and eaten up by fuel looks just like that also.

To follow up on the above 2 comments... race fuel additives can be hell on all parts in a fuel system.

-
Back