Orange or Black i need your Opinions Please

-

7DUSTER3

1973 Plymouth Duster 360
Reaction score
Alright guys we need your opinions,

We are tossed up between painting the engine compartment Orange, gloss black or semi gloss black. the car is going to be painted Orange (don't exactly know what specific color orange) with a black out hood w/scoop. The engine block is blue, it has black mopar valve covers and air cleaner, aluminum tti's, a red mallory box and distributor, steel braided lines, a summit aluminum radiator and fan shrowd. aluminum rpm air gap and carb to match. We also dont know what color we should paint my hood.

Mopar guys, WHAT LOOKS GOOD????

honest opinions are appreciated.

thanks, bryce

IMG00053.jpg

IMG00053.jpg

IMG00053.jpg

Best to match the paint to the car color as close as you can for that factory look.

If not go gloss black.

that sounds good, now do we do use flat semi or gloss black for the hood?

stupid question here, but is a flat black type paint hard to keep clean? I mean without the clear coats and all. Wont it have a rough texture to it as well.

I'm sure you can clear a satin black, with low gloss clear as well?
Never done it myself, but I know factory blackout hoods seem pretty easy to clean, so? you would have to ask a paint professional to be sure though?

My sixpack hood is painted flat black with a satin clear finish,it cleans up nice and keeps a good shine,i use mothers back to black on it...

I'd paint the engine compartment the same color as the body.... whenever I see a Mopar with a black painted trunk and/or engine bay it screams "LOW BUDGET RESTO" since 98% of the time a black spray can was used to cover up any visible surface rust/bondo for a quick sale.

I like the body color in the engine compartment, it really helps the engine stand out, and it doesn't look like you're trying to hide something...good detailing and contrast.

The engine compartment is suposed to be body color but with less shine. More a satin finish. Underside of hood and all around in trunk as well.
Please flat black the radiater support and aluminum radiater. If there is anything I hate it's body color showing through the grilles. No wait ... it's the dead bugs on the gloss body color showing through the grilles. LOL

You can clear the hood with a flattening agent if you really want to have clear on it. Or just use a single stage like Dupont Hot Rod Black which shoots flat. I also like the engine bay to match the car colour.

Are you clearing over the hole car ?
Or are you spraying enamel ?
There should be an archive where we could find out the correct
color for the look you are after concerning your different blacks..:scratch:
And I would bring the color of the car all the way in the eng bay:thumbup:

definitely paint the engine compartment the same color as the body.....looks like you may have cut corners in your work without it

Yes, paint the engine bay the same color as the body of the car. The purpose of a flat black hood was to reduce glare ,so if you paint it flat black, leave it flat or you`ve defeated the purpose. JMHO.

Even factory Mopars with blackout hood treatments had body color engine compartments. Same paint, same level of gloss. GM cars, with their bolt in fender wells had body color firewalls with black fender wells and radiator supports because they were painted off the body. Our cars are welded together, and painted all at once.

The front of the radiator support, behind the grille was painted black however.

Yes, paint the engine bay the same color as the body of the car. The purpose of a flat black hood was to reduce glare ,so if you paint it flat black, leave it flat or you`ve defeated the purpose. JMHO.
Thats really interesting, i didn't know that. I thought it was just a fashion statement! Here are some pics of the engine compartment, I am going to paint the engine compartment orange and the hood black. we weren't to sure how the heater holes were going to turn out. they came out alright...

enginecompartment.jpg

attachment-1.jpg

enginecompartment.jpg

enginecompartment.jpg

attachment-1.jpg

attachment-1.jpg

Thats really interesting, i didn't know that. I thought it was just a fashion statement! Here are some pics of the engine compartment, I am going to paint the engine compartment orange and the hood, black. we weren't to sure how the heater holes were going to turn out. they came out alright...

No, not just for looks, there was a method to the Mopar madness.

I'd Paint it and the car Black, there's too many Orange Duster's running around here........ LOL :D

Sorry to say, but my 73's engine compartment was blacked out at the factory, It's on my build sheet, and I'm told it was only offered on the high impact colors.

100_0905.jpg

Sorry to say, but my 73's engine compartment was blacked out at the factory, It's on my build sheet, and I'm told it was only offered on the high impact colors.

Ive never heard of that and would like to see that build sheat. I also dont think High impact colors were available after 71

that color was not offered in 73. ( just guessing here sublime, or sassy grass green) the only high impact colors available in 73 for plymouth and dodge were lemon twist and hemi orange. the factory would have never painted the engine bay that way. i too would like to know what the code for that is. also what code the fendertag has on for the paint on that car.

i also have a high impact car. a 71 dart painted citron yella. i have pictures of it before it was repainted still showing it's original paint. the engine bay was body color through out....

yd20.jpg

I am not calling you a liar but I agree with the others.... Never heard of your set up before... Also the hood hinges should be the same color as the body...

-
Back