oriented u-joints??

-

Crazy4408pac

N. Michigan
Reaction score
What is meant by this? And, how do I do it? Getting ready to install my new driveshaft. Have a 8 3/4 rear and I just installed new springs. What's the correct pinion angle I should set it at?
Thanks

Depends on what you are referring to. If you have a one piece driveshaft, it should be "right" so far as rotational alignment, BUT SOME ARE NOT. That is, they were welded up by someone not paying attention

So, you take the one piece shaft and sight down it just like a rifle. The caps on each end should be aligned perfectly.

The other side of the coin, is installation of the shaft into the rear yoke. In theory they should be balanced, but the fact is that if you run it, and rotate it 1/2 turn at the rear, it "might" run smoother

The easy answer on pinion angle, is that with the car on it's suspension, loaded normally, and under med--hard acceleration, the transmission shaft should be parallel to the pinion shaft.

You mean phase, the joints need to be in phase which is on the same plane so as not to force each other on oscillation.

If you have your shaft made new then it is in phase, and there is no orientation unless you have a 2 piece shaft, which since this is A body forum then this doesn't apply to you

-
Back