Original 1967 Dodge Dart 4 dr 270 auto....Should I buy? What's a fair price?

-

rileysd

Reaction score
Ok guys/gals, I've already learned a lot from this forum - so thank you in advance!

I have an opportunity to buy a 2nd owner original 1967 Dart 4 door slant 6 with an auto transmission. The body is super clean with a brand new paint job. The interior and engine compartment are decent, but needs some TLC. The car runs great, has clear title and has many new parts.

The guy just needs to get rid of it b/c he's leaving the country. This would be just a toy car for me and I would start restoring my first classic.

My question is: What would be a fair price to pay for this car? NADA has $3000 on the low end and $7500 on the high end.

He doesn't have a price in mind, so I need to come back to him with an good/fair offer and he'd most likely take it. I'm looking for a good deal and don't want to overpay in case I have to get out of it later.

Here's the new list:
- full exhaust system from downpipe to chrome tip, shocks, thermostat, tires, coolant hose, belts, battery, terminal, starter, voltage regulator, filters, oil, wipers, brake drums, brake hoses, brake lines, wheel cylinders rebuilt all the way around, distributor cap, plugs, wires, points and fuel filter.

Thanks so much!!!

Have you checked it thoroughly for rust? Keep in mind 4- doors are considered less desireable than 2-doors if you ever want to resell. If you really love this car $2500 is a fair price IMO.

That's sort of the price I was thinking. I searched all over the internet to find a comparable car, but can't find a 4 dr 67 anywhere for sale. I don't know if that means there aren't many decent ones left or if people just don't like them.

I am pretty sure I can get it for around $1300 - $1500.

Any other suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!

Without seeing a picture of the Dart and going by your description, I would have to agree with goldfish that $2500 seems fair but I would probably start off at $1800-$1900 and adjust upwards if need be.

Here are a few pics of her. Let me know what you think. Thanks!!!

dart1.jpg

dart2.jpg

dart3.jpg

I recognize that Dart from CL Atlanta, been for sale for a while. Looks very nice and well cared-for.

Yep, that's right. I'm leaving to go look at it right now. I've just seen this most recent posting, how long ago did you see it for sale? Has it been sitting for sale for months? Could be a red flag....?
I talked to the guy and he just seems like he's ready to sell it real quick. I think he's realizing he put too much money into it. He probably just should have sold it prior to any work/money he plunked down.

That would be a nice addition to a collection but for me, my one and only pride and joy ( money pit ) would need to be something more sporty and desirable/resellable. I would keep looking.
On the other hand... you could have the only 4 door at any cruise-in. Your personal taste is the key. Who knows, maybe Hollywood will come to your town and want to use your car in a movie. Stranger things have happened. Good luck

Yeah, just went and look at it. It's in decent shape. He did some amatuer paint/body work, new brake line, exhaust and some other things. The interior is all original - seats are good, just need to be recovered. No AC. Drives ok, theres a timing issue and stalls out when you stop. Needs some work to be a weekender.

He was asking $2500, now he wants $1750. Now I'm just thinking about just buying it really low and reselling after a few hunded of work.

Yep, that's right. I'm leaving to go look at it right now. I've just seen this most recent posting, how long ago did you see it for sale? Has it been sitting for sale for months? Could be a red flag....?
I talked to the guy and he just seems like he's ready to sell it real quick. I think he's realizing he put too much money into it. He probably just should have sold it prior to any work/money he plunked down.

Not sure how long, a few weeks maybe. When you see it you'll know if it's the right car for you. I had a 67 Fury 4-door sedan, I LOVED IT!! Good luck.

A remand distributer may cure the running problems. New parts on a worn out distributer is a waste of time and money , yet it happens far too often.

We have not paid more than $2250.00 for our Darts!
1964 Dart 170 4 door 273 auto; Needed both windshields pulled, body work, reinstall glass, new windshield, seats to be redone, runs great and only have put on 4 tires and rebuilt carb, owned 1.5 yrs, driven daily.
1967 Dart 270 4 door 273 auto owned 6 months, I try to drive daily, really,....
OK! I work on it daily and drive to the parts store!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We got em on Ebay!!

You're right....when I saw it I wasn't in love with it. I don't mind a 4 door, but this one just didn't do it for me.

I'm looking for an inexpensive entry into the classic car world....seems like most everything inexpensive is just a dump. Any suggestions?

I originally bought this one as a parts donor for my 67 GT. Once I got it home and looked it over better, I didn't have the heart. It'll eventually be a weekend cruiser for my wife, just have to get in gear and get it running...

dart14.jpg

dart15.jpg

Thanks for the info on what might be causing the stalling issue.

JD340 - What did you pay for that one? It looks really nice.

We have not paid more than $2250.00 for our Darts!
1964 Dart 170 4 door 273 auto; Needed both windshields pulled, body work, reinstall glass, new windshield, seats to be redone, runs great and only have put on 4 tires and rebuilt carb, owned 1.5 yrs, driven daily.
1967 Dart 270 4 door 273 auto owned 6 months, I try to drive daily, really,....
OK! I work on it daily and drive to the parts store!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We got em on Ebay!!

Yup, If looking for a daily driver at 2K or less the options are ,
A used ricer that might last 5 more years and cost more then its worth to repair when the time comes, or,
a well kept classic that may last forever with low cost repairs along the way.
If it should get knocked out of the street an insurance company will pay more than it sold for new according to nada values. Canyt say that for the ricer.
Something like Clunker Bill legislation may change all of that eventually.
Here's an idea... buy it and drive it, find another similar A-body to restore.
You might be surprised at the number of parts that could be moved. More to a 2 door post Dart than others but even a Barracuda has some parts in common.

Just be patient and keep searching, look on CL in other cities in surrounding states.

1500. 4 doors are hard to sell for prices that are too high to be considered parts cars. it can be a cool car, but dont count on reselling it to turn a buck. dont buy any old car thinking that, especially a 4 dr. it would look good converted to big bolt pattern with some plack 15" steelies. the panels line up poorly, the body work looks pretty bad in pics and pics make everything look better. the new paint job is pretty much a wasted effort and investment with the body in that shape. for the right price id still buy it and make a fun cruiser. im thinking 67 dart cop car that never was, but thats the only thing i think of 4 drs other than parts cars. why would you buy it to sell in a few months? do you want something different? dont buy it if you dont like it. if you really want a 2 dr, 73 and newer a bodies can be had cheap and if you dont mind the smog era styling, they can be great hot rods. some oif them came from the factory with all the upgrades you would put into a 72 and older a body.

Riley, I paid @ a grand for it. ;) It has a couple lil bumps and bruises and I did find 1 hole in floor (drivers side front, above the rail. Got it non running condition. It has a 72 /6 bolted in, just need to hunt around for a wiring diagram to make sure I wire everything right. Master cylinder is pooched too, I think. Now that I'm laid off for a couple months, I've got time to get her running. $1750 for the one you're looking at sounds more than fair to me. Go for it!!

dart4.jpg

dart11.jpg

-
Back