Original alternator just went

-

witteman

Test & Tuner
Reaction score
I have 1968 Dart GTS with an engine that is pretty built up Electronic distributor MSD ignition etc. The question can I or should I upgrade to a higher amp alternator and if so what else has to be done.

Thanks Tom

"How much" higher?

Start by reviewing the MAD electrical article.....

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

Depends on how good shape the electrical system is. You might get by with light loading with a 45-50A no problem. If the bulkhead connector is already "iffy" this could "finish it off

Ma even knew, "back then" that there were problems. If you can find documentation on what was known as "fleet or taxi wiring" this was a (dealer?) option with mods to the harness which ran new, larger wires through grommets in the firewall, around the bulkhead connector. As I recall, the red ammeter wire ends up getting taped off. Unlike the MAD article, this is NOT an ammeter bypass, but rather a partial bypass of the bulkhead connector.

I used to service HVAC, which included heat pumps and electric furnaces. Typical "common" electric elements are nominal 5KW each. This amount to "about" 20A or so draw at 220-240V. Those things use several of the same flat connectors in the bulkhead AND THEY FAIL all the time, at only 20A!!!!

This is a pair of elements. There are several more of those connectors on the sequencers, each connector passing nominal 20A

3500-411PA.jpg

Thanks for the great article. I think it will be best to stick with the original amperage alternator. Again Thank you

-
Back