Original Carpet Color? - 1971 Dart GY8 Gold, Black Vinyl Roof, Harvest Gold Interior (H2Y3)

-

GoldSwinger71

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey FABO Brains!

I have a '71 Dart GY8 Gold Iridescent (metallic) car, Black Vinyl Top, with original Harvest Gold Vinyl Interior (H2Y3) with black door trim (per the broadcast sheet.)

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/colorAndTrim/1971/71_Dart0003.jpg

The carpet in the car is faded to an off brown color from many years of sun. Would the assumption be it's going to be Gold or Ivy Gold?

I've got a Gold carpet in the box, but I'm second guessing myself. The Gold is SCREAMING and matches the paint hue, but the Ivy Gold in pictures from OER appears to be more subdued and would maybe even match to the Harvest Gold of the vinyl seats?

The other challenge is that the car's been resprayed and it's not quite GY8 when I compare pictures to other cars.

[Example Photo]
I spotted another car for sale and it's tough to tell what shade the carpet is, but it doesn't seem to be a popular configuration for cars out there at the moment.

1687814287393.png

Thoughts? Suggestions? I may have to roll with the Gold for now just to get it on the road - I had even debated going black since I've got the vinyl roof. It's just odd that there's no color code listed on the broadcast sheet for carpets.

Thanks!

-Daniel

If you take out the front seat or the bottom of the back seat the carpet underneath should not be as faded as the rest. Probably would be able to see the correct color then. Bobby

If you already have the carpet USE IT! No color is going to be the same as OEM...

I'm debating if the carpet is actually original to the car, since it's got 145k miles, and I know it's been out of the car (previous owner put some sort of... metallic insulation under the rear seat) - That's why I'm thinking he swapped it from a different car. I don't think they would have used brown from the factory. :)

I used the gold also. 71 swinger. I did the whole car in gy8, no vinyl top. This included the interior door frames and dash frame. White bench seat and door panels. Headliner is “buck skin” in color. Also dash pad and kick panels are the same. I was NOT concerned about being all original with this car. It did all blend together pretty well. Part of the choices hinged on available parts. Waiting 7 months for another color 4 speed carpet or headliner was not an option. Swingn’

-
Back