Original engine colors??????

-
All the responses I've got for this thread I got one picture of a unpainted unrestored plant this is harder than I thought it would be

I have a TSB that says all 340 engines were painted TURQUOISE after 9-6-68. Before that date who knows. Notice that this is for CANADIAN built engines, which I believe all 340's were built in Windsor.

engcolor.JPG

Last edited:
send me your address and cover shipping . you can have all of them... not sure how many I have 2-3

it is entirely possible there were batches of Turqouise engine paint that was mixed wrong and had too much blue . Plants in those days were most likely dimly lit and no one noticed or cared.

That is a field TSB for the techs not a plant notice. That is where some of the mix up started. They consolidated paint codes so parts department did not have to ordered so many different colors of paint to order. The Mound Road engine plant made 340 engines as well. Still no pictures of untouched engine still in cars to prove anything.

20170329_131646.jpg
This would be an example of what I'm talking about although it is a 1970 383 2 Barrel out of a Dodge pickup truck it is original paint 17000 mile engine I know this to be true because I remove the motor and fresh it up for the customer the motor showed almost nowhere in the bores Rings lifters or anywhere really and had the VIN code for the truck on it

this is what I'm talking about that Motors appears to be repainted to me not 100% sure but it looks like there's some turquoise showing through the blue on the intake also the hose clamps or not painted on the bypass hose but thanks for the picture I hope we get a lot more
one more thing do you know the build date of your car thanks again for the picture

I probably have a dozen pics of original untouched 69 Dart 340 cars with turquoise engines, I have produced those pictures on the internet over the last 20 years, tired of beating a dead horse. I have pictures going back to the late 70's that I haven't converted to digital format.Plus, if I ever get the time to sit down and go through the hundreds of Sony Mavica 3-1/2" floppy's to load them onto a computer I could pretty much answer the question. You newbies know what a 3-1/2" floppy is?

I'm punching my old Polaroids into IBM punchards as we speak...lol
Wow this is tedious ! only 5,453,687 punches left to go ....

agree... 69 340's were turquoise.
for the na sayers corporate blue was not invented until '70.Turquoise shades varied depending
on the light and after 50 years of heat cycles gas,oil,dirt and oxidation can be very different
than fresh off the factory assembly line.

I have a '69 340 that is, and always was, that "Corporate Blue". I think we have verified that '69 340s came in red, orange, blue, and turquoise! Take your pick... there is no rhyme or reason to it.

I have a '69 340 that is, and always was, that "Corporate Blue". I think we have verified that '69 340s came in red, orange, blue, and turquoise! Take your pick... there is no rhyme or reason to it.
I don't think we verified anything!!!!! Other than 69 340s came in turquoise. I've seen no pictures of early red ones from 69 or no pictures of late orange ones from 69 in original paint I really don't think they exist the pictures that is I'm not sure about the motors. I guess we should have took done better jobs of all these years of documenting these cars that everybody's worked on it had owned or even went and just looked at at the end of the day it's a moot point and I appreciate everybody chiming in.

Yep good luck. This has gone on for ever. I just remember working on them back in the day. No one gave a **** back then they were just hot rods we beat the hell out of and put in the junk yard.

Yep good luck. This has gone on for ever. I just remember working on them back in the day. No one gave a **** back then they were just hot rods we beat the hell out of and put in the junk yard.
Yeah I think you're right thanks for the comment

Here's a picture of a 69 440 GTS power plant of course you could you could tell it's been restored it has the wrong hose clamps and valve covers and a few other things but I wonder if the guys got the original pictures of the motor red

20181023_090855.jpg

M-Code GTS's are all Hemi orange, no doubt about that! 340's the vast majority was Turquoise, I have seen a very early original in red, and there is the Mopar Nationals Gold 69 340 in orange that the guy swears up and down it was that way when he bought it new, but he has never been able to produce color pictures of the day he bought it. When in doubt, and to not have too many naysayers at shows give you crap, paint it TURQUOISE!

this argument has been beaten to death....anything can be said on the internet.

20181028_183311.jpg

Here is a 69 Fastback with a 318 that as far as I can tell is unmolested or restored. All fasteners , routing etc seem to be factory like.

I took these pics a few weeks ago while inspecting the car for another member.

My first 340, 1969 was turquoise like 694speed’s turquoise, but it was apart for a cam change sometime before I got it. I have never seen a 340 in the sea foam green turquoise. A good buddy’s 1970 340 was red and I have seen 68’s that were red.

I guess even Mopar couldnt agree on what color was what ... here are 4 cans of turquoise...2 are old cans from my 65 Coronet 500 restoration and 2 are new ones for my 69 340 Swinger.
The third pic is from a can marked BLUE...lol
20181117_211433.jpg
20181117_211750.jpg
20181117_211908.jpg

-
Back