Original Go Mango vs new

-
I like the lighter hemi orange that I painted my 418 with, but was not impressed with the Mopar brand rattle can paint. Does not cover well, and discolors easily. If I ever do it again, will find another way. Catalyzed paint would probably be the answer.
Not sure if I could negotiate getting the local paint shop to go over to my friends T/A and shoot his car with the spectrum gun for the Go Mango color. I believe the readout would be in weight, code and color. PM me if interested.
The VHT Hemi Orange is a little glossy compared to true Hemi Orange, but it does well on durability.

Here’s my 70 Challenger SE original GoMango.

904EFC3D-17B1-44A6-901B-511D8AC81238.jpeg

Here is my car coming out of “storage” where it slowly rusted for 32 years. I thought I was preserving it but the floor pans and trunk suffered from the concrete floor. I plan to build it like I would have back then if I’d had the time and money. I had neither. It’ll ride on the old five slot mags that came with it and radial TAs. I ported J heads back then with 2.02 intakes and hardened seats on the exhaust. A 484 lift purple shaft cam and heavy duty valve springs. It’s a 355 posi. Engine is a 30 over 360 with hyperutec KBs. Rebuilt AVS into an Air Gap. Exit is headers of unknown origin media blasted and sprayed with ceratec. I’m redoing the 833 myself with advice and parts from Brewers. Same for the original Hurst shifter. I’ve got salvage yard power and heated/cooled buckets in dark charcoal with back seats covered to match.

For a possible future return to stock I’ve got the original bench seat, X heads, cast iron intake and correct factory HP exhaust. In the future I hope to pick up rally wheels and Goodyears, and of course a 340 block.

Here is the car when pulled out of storage.

53426AE7-236D-4CAA-9DBD-2DEDDFB9A850.jpeg

FA5317CE-669F-4802-AA2A-654AE627B6D0.jpeg

I’ve got a few more recent pictures with color sprayed but before cut and buffed. I’m hoping to get some pictures from the shop tomorrow of the final product. I did go with the original Go Mango, blacked out hood and black tail stripe. It is yet to get the black vinyl top that it came with when new. The old grainy picture is the car when new taken by the original owner.

I’d like to post the rest of the build but I don’t know where the appropriate place is. Can someone tell me?

524F17E1-16AA-4E01-97C5-E14E6124F244.jpeg

BEEE6D81-8861-48ED-BFCA-E1102E7106B3.jpeg

92312A32-0E97-46D4-9B1B-C066541A0931.jpeg

B9D2B7FA-01D1-4808-BB16-89E70DFF2328.jpeg

AD2D4794-4ADE-43B8-8E14-B6DBBC0EAB50.jpeg

CFC45F59-348D-46A4-B858-3D388CF83099.jpeg

1F4F7C6A-5290-4DA3-A356-8C1150B8441B.jpeg

8CD272E2-4903-4973-86CB-86EC5C38DB21.jpeg

Last edited:
one thing to think about - I recently got my 70 Dart painted Plum Crazy. The shop owner asked whether I wanted original Plum Crazy or the new version. I said original, and he said that's good because if I wanted the new stuff it would cost an extra $1200 for the paint. Don't know if the same would be true of Go Mango...

one thing to think about - I recently got my 70 Dart painted Plum Crazy. The shop owner asked whether I wanted original Plum Crazy or the new version. I said original, and he said that's good because if I wanted the new stuff it would cost an extra $1200 for the paint. Don't know if the same would be true of Go Mango...
Yes, I heard a similar story on this paint. I don’t know if it was that much though. Could be the extra is pearl or metallic additions. I am happy with how it’s turning out.

I’ve got a few more recent pictures with color sprayed but before cut and buffed. I’m hoping to get some pictures from the shop tomorrow of the final product. I did go with the original Go Mango, blacked out hood and black tail stripe. It is yet to get the black vinyl top that it came with when new. The old grainy picture is the car when new taken by the original owner.

I’d like to post the rest of the build but I don’t know where the appropriate place is. Can someone tell me?

View attachment 1716070023

View attachment 1716070024

View attachment 1716070025

View attachment 1716070027

View attachment 1716070028

View attachment 1716070029

View attachment 1716070030

View attachment 1716070031
Wise choice.

One of my 70 Darts has a blacked out hood in the factory location and the black butt stripe. I wish that I had left the vinyl top trim in place and now I could paint the top black where the vinyl would have been. Dodge actually had this as an option, but it was overshadowed by packages and deals on vinyl tops. A few months ago I went to an outstanding private collection near Salem OR and they had a perfectly restored 1971 Hemi Cuda that was black with a white painted top from the factory. Just confirmed that I never should have removed the vinyl top trim.

One of my 70 Darts has a blacked out hood in the factory location and the black butt stripe. I wish that I had left the vinyl top trim in place and now I could paint the top black where the vinyl would have been. Dodge actually had this as an option, but it was overshadowed by packages and deals on vinyl tops. A few months ago I went to an outstanding private collection near Salem OR and they had a perfectly restored 1971 Hemi Cuda that was black with a white painted top from the factory. Just confirmed that I never should have removed the vinyl top trim.
I’m happy that this car came with all the trim. I had a new rally red 340 Swinger in college and kept it as the family car through bringing home my first child and starting building a home a few years later. In 1977 I was asked to price it and before I knew it, down the road it went. It had the black hood but it pwas a stripe delete car. I wanted the stripe for this one but held off until I tracked down the original owner and confirmed it came with one. The original vinyl top was still on it. It’s sticker was about five hundred dollars more than my red one, running the tab to $3500 dollars on the original sales contract.

Here is my car coming out of “storage” where it slowly rusted for 32 years. I thought I was preserving it but the floor pans and trunk suffered from the concrete floor. I plan to build it like I would have back then if I’d had the time and money. I had neither. It’ll ride on the old five slot mags that came with it and radial TAs. I ported J heads back then with 2.02 intakes and hardened seats on the exhaust. A 484 lift purple shaft cam and heavy duty valve springs. It’s a 355 posi. Engine is a 30 over 360 with hyperutec KBs. Rebuilt AVS into an Air Gap. Exit is headers of unknown origin media blasted and sprayed with ceratec. I’m redoing the 833 myself with advice and parts from Brewers. Same for the original Hurst shifter. I’ve got salvage yard power and heated/cooled buckets in dark charcoal with back seats covered to match.

For a possible future return to stock I’ve got the original bench seat, X heads, cast iron intake and correct factory HP exhaust. In the future I hope to pick up rally wheels and Goodyears, and of course a 340 block.

Here is the car when pulled out of storage.

View attachment 1716038058

View attachment 1716038059
That first pic, it almost looks wet on the inside of the car.

Orange or red?
Orange, Bought it in 1971 Stolen in 1973 got it back in 2005. I bought it back from a tow company with no title not recognizing it was my car after being gone for 32 years and owning three other orange 70 340 swingers since. It took about three months before I realized it was my car. I still had the title. The person who stole it from me is now a constable and tried to come take it back with the State police. Not remembering I was the person he stole it from in 73. He is from Jim Thorpe Pa.

The Brown Demon was also bought back from the person I sold it to that never paid me for it and disappeared. That was a drop over funny story when I found the car by coincidence in a barn. The last two pics are of the Demon when it was sitting at my place in the 80's. My son recognized the car looking at these 2 pictures and noticed the dents in the roof after bringing the car home in 2005.

Last week talking to an old friend I finally found the guy who bought it and sold it back to me after running and hiding since 05 .

A long story I'll talk about after I go to his house to confront him. I heard he lost his arms in an accident. But last week I was told who bought the car in the 80's and went on Face book to look him up. Sure enough It is the same old guy I bought it back from who didn't pay me and I still had the title.

These two cars came back home in the same month. I sold the orange Swinger at Carlisle in 06 after to much was sold to rebuild the car before I realized I had the title. The Brown Demon was sold to someone who came here for parts off of it. I still have the Scoop , 4spd. , Vinyl top chrome. I also still have the Scoops , auto trans, and front Bumper from the Swinger . The swinger was rust free stored in doors since it was stolen in 73.

72demon2[1].jpg

O%20dart[1].jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

-
Back