Original License plate replacements?

-

Realm412

Reaction score
Hi, if I want to get license plates that were the original style for the year (california 1963) with my current number on it what do I need to do? is there a service to reproduce them? Or do I need to do something with the DMV? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
-Greg

Greg, as of right now, I believe the only way to get black/gold plates reassigned to your vehicle is if you had the plates and also had proof (ie. and old registration card, pink slip, etc.) that showed hat the plates were once mated to that specific vehicle.

This is a very iffy subject because I have also heard of people getting random black/gold plates assigned to their cars. As we all know, sometimes it's not what you know but who you know (or in this case, if you are lucky enough to work with someone at DMV that is willing to help you).

In Minnesota, we can register a vintage plate on any old car, just need to reguster it as a "collector" plate, the year also may need to match the car, not sure. I have 1965 MN plates with a 1966 tab sticker (no plates were made in MN in 66 for cars) on my car, I love them cause they are different and everyone notices them. Plus, they are vintage! :grin:

so is there a legal ramification if i were to either have 63 duplicates made with my current license number or repainting the current plates(not sure that would work)? Other than that I have the original sales receipt of the car, but over the years I'm not sure how the registration is. there was a number of swaps, possibly license plates between my 63 four door and a 64 two door that we had. I'm street legal and all, but was curious about getting the black and gold plates for the car.

I tried to register black plates to my 64 Dart (off of a non registered/non operating 64 Dart, which I owned and had the title to) after I bought it in Vegas and brought it back to SoCal. At the time (last year) the DMV wouldn't let me. They told me that they were still "attached" to the other car in their computers. So I either needed to "junk" the other car to "clear" them or get a set of plates that were already cleared (not registered for 5+ years or in the computers as "salvaged").
After talking to a manager, he informed me that after July 1 2009 it would be easier since the "YOM" (year of manufacture) guidelines would go into effect and the rules are much clearer. This is my understanding:
1) Clear, servicable plates.
2) You gotta have both of 'em.
3) Correct plates for the model year.
4) 6 digit for a car, 7 digit for commercial vehicles.
UUGH!!! find out more at www.dmv.ca.gov Search vehicle code (VC) 5004.1
Let me know if you have any luck...I'm gonna try again in July!

P.S. I'm pretty sure that it is against the law to "modify" plates. (I doubt that you'd do any time for it...lol)

I've got '65 plates, '66 tabs, on my '66 Dart as well. I bought mine in Wisconsin at Iola, and they were giving the MN plates away. Way cheaper than buying mint plates in MN.

Washington state lets you register a YOM plate to anything 25 years or older. The plate I got for my '69 was made up to '84 or so, so they are plentiful. You also only need one on the back, and no year or month sticker. They can also be restored, so I guess that means repainted the original colors. You can't use a repo. You also only need to register it once.

What if you get a personalized plate in CA? You can get them in yellow on blue, but what if you get one with the alpha numeric 6 digit pattern, and paint it yellow on black?

OK,
I just wanted to throw my 2 cents worth in here for Georgia residents.
In GA you can re-assign a "Authentic Historical License Plate" the same year of the car it is going on from 1970 back only. IE: 1970 tag on a 1970 car and so on - NO EXCEPTIONS! The tag needs to be VG or better condition, restored or original. The interpretation of condition is up to the tax/tag agent you hand it to - so be prepared. You must also have a standard tag currently registered to the car and valid. You will then need to go to:

http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/forms/pdf/motor/MV_Authentic_Historical_Tag_Affidavit_Form_T224.pdf

and fill out "The Affidavit of Ownership" (T-224 (Revised 8-2005) form online and then print out the form (I print out 2 copies as the tax/tag agent SOMETIMES wants to keep a copy - go figure).

Then gather up your; Current Registration, The Authentic Historical License Plate, The 2 copies of The Affidavit of Ownership Forms (T-224 (Revised 8-2005), and your Drivers License and head to your county tax/tag office :clock:. The instructions for this procedure are also right on the Affidavit Form (T-224 (Revised 8-2005). There is no additional tax/tag charges for this service.

You then must carry the current Tag, Registration, and the Affidavit Form (T-224 (Revised 8-2005) in the car at all times.

:stop: Most Police Departments are getting used to this but be forwarned - They WILL use the Historical Tag as "Probable Cause" to pull you over! You best be (and I presume we all are :-\") Clean and Legal at all times on the road.

I hope this helps other Georgia FABO members with this issue.

Later,
Bruce B.

I tried to register black plates to my 64 Dart (off of a non registered/non operating 64 Dart, which I owned and had the title to) after I bought it in Vegas and brought it back to SoCal. At the time (last year) the DMV wouldn't let me. They told me that they were still "attached" to the other car in their computers. So I either needed to "junk" the other car to "clear" them or get a set of plates that were already cleared (not registered for 5+ years or in the computers as "salvaged").
After talking to a manager, he informed me that after July 1 2009 it would be easier since the "YOM" (year of manufacture) guidelines would go into effect and the rules are much clearer. This is my understanding:
1) Clear, servicable plates.
2) You gotta have both of 'em.
3) Correct plates for the model year.
4) 6 digit for a car, 7 digit for commercial vehicles.
UUGH!!! find out more at www.dmv.ca.gov Search vehicle code (VC) 5004.1
Let me know if you have any luck...I'm gonna try again in July!

P.S. I'm pretty sure that it is against the law to "modify" plates. (I doubt that you'd do any time for it...lol)

whodat, it looks like your information is the most current. The YOM plate issue has been more than confusing over the years. It has changed so many times. Hopefully, the new guidelines will make things clearer and easier for all.

the dmv has gotten so money hungry that they even make you pay for personalized plates to run originals on a car that has dropped out of the system. there is a place that makes repop plates of any vintage, they are technically not legal, as they are not made by the state, but good luck telling them apart. they look like clean old plates repainted. they are not cheap, and they will not ship CA. plates to Ca. but they make them and you can have them drop shipped to a friend and forwarded. i will have to look up the website url and post later, or email me direct at [email protected] and i will emai the info. if you are replacing your old beat up plates with new repops there is no dmv involvement, you just run your official license sticker on the new plates. technically not legal, but i doubt you would ever get busted. there is a guy locally who had a 40's vintage plate made up with his new plate number and runs them with no problem. he does have the original new plates mounted behind the repops just in case because the yellow plates are painted his yellow body color, not correct yellow for the year plates they are replicating, and a sharp cop would recognize that the number series is wrong for vintage plates , but the stickers are on the repops. i have also seen where guys have taken the new white plates and just painted them black/yellow. the 63 stamp would be covered by the year sticker anyway.
keep in mind, switching plates to a vehicle other than the one they are registered to is a felony, so don't just stick any old plates on your car, but displaying an unauthorized plate of the correct number or repainting your plates is at best a fix it ticket as long as you have correct valid license tabs.
Doug

keep in mind, switching plates to a vehicle other than the one they are registered to is a felony, so don't just stick any old plates on your car, but displaying an unauthorized plate of the correct number or repainting your plates is at best a fix it ticket as long as you have correct valid license tabs.
Doug

http://www.licenseplates.tv/product_info.php/products_id/1570

I came across that before posting here and had already worked out how to get them to me. They are just expensive and was curious of legal points from there. I figured I could just get them made up with my current number and when I get my next tags, pop them on.

I found an old pair that match and for the state of MO........the year and the month I was born.......I'm going to use those on my 64. There 74's.

whodat, it looks like your information is the most current. The YOM plate issue has been more than confusing over the years. It has changed so many times. Hopefully, the new guidelines will make things clearer and easier for all.
whodat: Thanks for the update!!! I, too, ran into the same thing as GTXperience a couple years back for an old motorcycle. Seems like only bad news ever comes from the California DMV, but this is refreshing.

-
Back