Original owner!

-

FISHYPETE

Reaction score
I have owned my 66 Barracuda 38yrs and it is my first car. I did a restoration in 1988 and found an old American (now Standard) gas charge receipt dated 6-11-66 from Mass. 12 gal. at $4.64 Fast forward 10yrs. a friend did some research gave me a list of names, all were dead ends. Fast forward a few months ago same friend gave one name and number, left messages but heard nothing. Today I recieve a phone call from a 75yr old gentelman who says he bought my car new in Boston! In 1969 having 2 kids and one on the way he sold it in Caifornia and bought a VW bus.He said that of all the cars he owned the 66 is the only one that he dosen't have a pic of. Exchanged E-mail and I'm sending pics. He travels a bit and asked if he's up this way could he stop and see it. I replied "Hell you can drive it!" This made my day!!!

Cool story! I'm sure it would make his day to slide behind the wheel one more time!

You found the original owner from a gas receipt?
That is amazing.

You found the original owner from a gas receipt?
That is amazing.

Yup, he did, the recipt also has the cars original license plate number on it too! Lucky it didn't get sucked up in the vacuum cleaner, or if you were younger you probably would have tossed it away! Cool story, that would be neat if he could see the car in person, I will send him the pics I have of it too, I think he will be blown away when he sees it!

Pete, thats the kind of stories that make this hobby so fun to be in. I would give anything to be there to see his face when he gets behind the wheel for the first time in 38 years!!! I know the original owner of my 66 never got to see me finish it before he passed away, but I still see his son.

I also keep in touch with the original owner of Nella's car Sunfish. They live up the road about 10 miles and when we go to the cruise-in in that town we always stop by and say hi. They love to sit in the car and take pic's and send them to their kids, who turned down the car because they thought it was a "deathtrap"!!! Yea, they want it now though!!!

Have fun with this adventure, I know you'll be all smiles and make his day for sure!! Geof

It's neat that the original owner responded. Many old owners aren't as interested in their old car as we are.

Grant

Cool story !!! The gentleman driving your car will not only make your day,it will make his day as well ! Sounds like a KODAK moment.

-
Back