Original Paint Problems

-

Valas

Reaction score
I Have 1974 Plymouth Gold Duster, it is the Original off white with the Vynal roof. Because of where I live(Washington state) we have a large amount of Polin floating in the air and that seems to have taken up residence in my paint. I assume that with a goot Buffing that it would come out.

I have yet to attempt a Buffing because I figure I will be Repainting it in the summer anyways. it has some buubles in the paint small rust spots on the bottum and corners of the exterior. but all in all still very nice for being "mostly" original.

I was looking for advice on if I should attempt to repair the current(Original) Exterior or Repaint it and get a couple racing Stripes down the hood and trunk.

any advice would be appriciated, I will take pictures when I get home and post them in this thread as soon as I can.

Really hard to give a good reply without seeing the paint. Buff out a spot and see how it looks.

As far as racing stripes on the hood and trunk. Only do that if you like hearing "Nice Nova".

As far as racing stripes on the hood and trunk. Only do that if you like hearing "Nice Nova".

The Problem is, Even with the "Gold Duster" in Gold paint on the side people still say it all the time. but of couse those people wouldn't know anything about Mopars in the first place.

A buff (with a circular buffer and wool bonnet) with WATER based compound should really make what you have POP.........then a good wash and rinse, and a nice wax job after you touch up the bad spots with a brush and touch up paint.........

(don't use an oil based compound for buffing the old paint...you'll burn it).

make sure your buffing wheel is on slow speed and use plenty of compound... the less compound, the easier it is to burn the paint.... or you can do it by hand if you are not used to using a buffer (or don't have one).

If you feel like a drive south on a weekend, I'd be glad to give you a hand...

Hi Valas, I know what you mean about the pollen the cedar and alder pollen is bad right now.
I'm not to far from you I work in Arlington.

Hi Valas, I know what you mean about the pollen the cedar and alder pollen is bad right now.
I'm not to far from you I work in Arlington.

I pass through there everyday on my way to Tulalip for work.

The guy I bought my Duster from lived in Kent and had it sitting in his drive way for a while. after I got it, she sat outside all the time since I am without a Garage.

make sure your buffing wheel is on slow speed and use plenty of compound... the less compound, the easier it is to burn the paint.... or you can do it by hand if you are not used to using a buffer (or don't have one).

If you feel like a drive south on a weekend, I'd be glad to give you a hand...

I will be doing it by hand, I do have access to a Buffer but I frefer to do any work on her with as little machinary as possible.

When I swapped the tires a friend watched and was dumb founded as to why I was using the lug wrench. there isn't much I wont do by hand if i can.

-
Back