OT Powder coating ovens

-

Brian Hood

Reaction score
Hey,
I am thinking about buying one of those cheap Harbor Freight powder coating guns and ovens. Has anyone used this brand and set-up before? Is it worth the money?
Brian

No experience with the Harbor Freight powder coating equipment. FYI, I got a catalog from Eastwood a week or two ago & they had some of their powder coating stuff on sale.

pshhh dont waste your time with that stuff send cuda chick a pm and she will take care of you

pshhh dont waste your time with that stuff send cuda chick a pm and she will take care of you

Gotta agree with mopardrt. Leanna does quality work and her customer service goes above and beyond. Plus she gives FABO members a 10% discount on her labor, 20% if you're a Gold FABO member.
Save your money and let an expert turn your parts to works of art. Here's what she did with my valve covers...perfectly matched the 'custom-mix' color of my engine block.

Attachments

• IM006184.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 164
  • IM006185.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 163
Hey guys, though I appreciate the referrals and compliments, I see no reason not to support Brian in his quest to learn more on his own and help in any way we can.

All powder coaters start off somewhere, and cheap "hobby guns" are the typical introduction to the industry. I'd recommend buying one to see if you enjoy the work rather than spend a bunch of money on better equipment and then later decide it's not for you. (The first time that sucker gives you a 100,000 kilovolt jolt and you pitch it across the garage, at least you won't be out a lot of money when it crashes into a zillion pieces.)

Eastwood is NOT the way to go though. Most everything you see in their catalog can be bought outright from its manufacturer (they just slap their labels on stuff and mark it up 40-60% to sell it to the public). "Their" powders are made by other suppliers as well, and from what I've seen of it have to guess they typically sit on a shelf in their hot warehouse for a long time because they arrive chunky and generally unusable. You can find fresh powders in a wider range of colors elsewhere if you do a little research.

When the time came to upgrade my own curing oven, I did my homework, saw what was available on the open market and decided to build my own rather than finance somebody else's retirement fund. They aren't cheap and you don't always get what you pay for, so start out with an old used ELECTRIC oven (hit Craig's List), coat a few pulleys and brackets and see if you like it.

I wish you the best of luck! I'm here for tech advice as things arise ... feel free to give me a call if I can help you out with particulars.

Yes she is. I sent my work Leanna.

way to go Leanna, just keep backing up everything I have heard about you, always trying to help. Just come down to Al and take this snow back with you so I can do some wrenching and see those beautiful valve covers you just did for me. Snowing like crazy for last three hours at rate of an inch an hour, thanks Joe

We've gone through 3 of those Harbor Freight "powdercoat ovens" at work. They last about a month before the thermostat burns out. We only use it for coating specialty hardware so what we use isn't really a big deal. One of the guys there made his own as well and gets good results from it.

Ken

way to go Leanna, just keep backing up everything I have heard about you, always trying to help. Just come down to Al and take this snow back with you so I can do some wrenching and see those beautiful valve covers you just did for me. Snowing like crazy for last three hours at rate of an inch an hour, thanks Joe

Joe, I'd offer to take the snow but I have more than plenty of my own. We're [NOT] enjoying the same storm you're getting -- the 19th of the year. Believe me, I'm more than ready for spring too! This pic was taken the day before yesterday ... and it hasn't quit since. Supposed to be in the 50s again by Saturday but I'm not holding my breath.

View attachment IMG_3045.jpg

-
Back