Our fellow FABO member's 69 Cuda A57 is featured on GYC tonight 4-6-21

-
No matter how many checks you write You'll never truly appreciate an old car till you build it yourself. I'm no expert but I've been at it over 40 years and there's only a few things I pay a professional to do. When someone looks at my car and says "Nice car man" I really appreciate the compliment because I built it.

i can appreciate your thoughts. i did one of my Barracudas - a 68 fastback Formula S 340 4 speed Turbine bronze. i put 2600 hours into the car and it is probably 98% original. i refinished, rebuilt or restored every nut, bolt and system on the car. it's not a "museum piece" but just a nice driver. that was 10 years ago now and i'm getting a little less "flexible" and motivated to crawl all over a car these days. i'm currently working on a 69 383 4 sp S fastback and my 69 M-Code Cuda. both those cars are really kicking my ***. as a person gets older, the "tough" and "tedious" stuff seems to be more of a challenge. i'm willing to pay someone to do some work but i won't trust my cars to anyone under 50 - and finding someone that age or older that knows these cars is getting more and more difficult as time passes. i practiced law for 28 years and at the end, pretty much assumed everyone lies about everything all the time. AND - it is dangerous to put a lot of "trust" in a stranger. so i now worry about sending my cars to someone and then having them remove all the valuable OEM parts replacing them with after-market repo junk or just stealing the parts outright. yes, i know - it's tough being a paranoid person. however, i have been working on cars now for over 50 years and i have stories and experiences of mechanics as "thieves" dating back to my high school days. probably the ONLY way i would drop one of my very original cars off at a resto shop is if i took about 100 pictures of every single valuable part on the car and showed all the pics to the shop Manager when i dropped the car off telling him that if every single thing in my pics were not on the car when i picked it up, i would make a career out of making sure someone got arrested and prosecuted for theft. see, with this kind of attitude, i'm probably limited to the shops where i could take my cars.

DSCN0972 (1).jpg

You Jarheads are tough! Oh, I forgot, I was one, too. I agree with your statements, though, councilor. Shady shops are prevalent now, forcing many to go to the dealer and get screwed. I've had a good friend who owned his own mobile repair business, but he's retiring after doing the timing belt in my wife's Honda Pilot. Now I have to find another mechanic I can trust, as my body can't do what I used to. I love that M code 'Cuda! If I wasn't 2500 miles away, I'd be there every other weekend to wrench on her with you. No complaints, though, as my 26 year old son is starting to show interest in my Swinger. It's good to have a strong back to help me with the grunt work.

Last edited:
I agree. I've heard him make several false statements on the show, but his self righteous attitude grates my nerves. The owner of a local "Resto" and hotrod shop is the same way. He was trying to sell a '70 Dart Swinger 340 as all original. I pointed out the 5th digit in the VINwas a G, and not a n H, he demanded I leave his showroom immediately. I laughed when I thought the vein on forehead was going to burst.

You Jarheads are tough! Oh, I forgot, I was one, too. I agree with your statements, though, councilor. Shady shops are prevalent now, forcing many to go to the dealer and get screwed. I've had a good friend who owned his own mobile repair business, but he's retiring after doing the timing belt in my wife's Honda Pilot. Now I have to find another mechanic I can trust, as my body can't do what I used to. I love that M code 'Cuda! If I wasn't 2500 miles away, I'd be there every other weekend to wrench on her with you. No complaints, though, as my 26 year old son is starting to show interest in my Swinger. It's good to have a strong back to help me with the grunt work.

LOL! it's never a good idea for a mechanic to try and screw with a Jarhead!! i spent the day jerking a slant 6 and trans out of one of the parts car Barracudas i just bought. got a guy coming tomorrow to buy both for $200.00. i got 7 Barracudas now and am starting to clear out some duplicate parts i've collected. i hope i can get the m car on the road this summer. i think it will be a fun car since it will be the only authentic m-code 440 cuda with a 4 speed. have a good summer Devil Dog!!

@Cudadad must be reeling and excited. And I feel for him!

I give my Vote to @Hodgerestorations.com

It was near two years le had my shell, but have been driving since late 2014, and my wife and I did re-assembly.

It was worth the wait for superior work!

@Cudadad has had his car there for a much longer period of time.

There must have been some agreement for it to take this long!

I am just glad it is finished and hope he enjoys as we enjoy ours.

Last edited:
I would try to get a penalty clause on any contract, like 10,000 off for every year delayed from promised date.

• I'm proud to be a former Marine , Jim. Your "Cuda collection is amazing! Let me know if I can help you with anything. From a former Jarhead.

• I'm proud to be a former Marine , Jim. Your "Cuda collection is amazing! Let me know if I can help you with anything. From a former Jarhead.

thanks 70 Dart!! i pulled the slant 6 and auto trans out of the black Barracuda i bought and sold it to a young kid who lives about an hour north of Pittsburgh. he has a 70 Dart also and is putting the slant in it for a cheap cruising car. he came down to my garage today with a young friend and we spent most of the day talking about old mopars and getting the trans and engine loaded on his Dodge Dakota pickup. the kid was late 20's, married with a young son so he is probably going to play with his old Dart and pass along his hobby to his young son. it was nice to see a young generation interested in old mopars.

i appreciate your offer of help.. but i think you live out on the West Coast? i might have you pick up a tee shirt from "In and Out Burger" .... LOL! take care Devil Dog...

thanks 70 Dart!! i pulled the slant 6 and auto trans out of the black Barracuda i bought and sold it to a young kid who lives about an hour north of Pittsburgh. he has a 70 Dart also and is putting the slant in it for a cheap cruising car. he came down to my garage today with a young friend and we spent most of the day talking about old mopars and getting the trans and engine loaded on his Dodge Dakota pickup. the kid was late 20's, married with a young son so he is probably going to play with his old Dart and pass along his hobby to his young son. it was nice to see a young generation interested in old mopars.

i appreciate your offer of help.. but i think you live out on the West Coast? i might have you pick up a tee shirt from "In and Out Burger" .... LOL! take care Devil Dog...

That was my Dodge Dakota haha. My son Mike and his pal Zach were the young guys that came down. I would have liked to ride along and met you but the Dakota doesn't have a lot of room and I was putting my 340 together.

My 83 year old brother Jan has been in the auto resto biz since 1968. He started as a line mechanic at a Buick store and worked on the dealership owners collector cars on the side. He got tired of the BS he got from that arrangement and opened his own shop a couple years later.

Over the years he has done Cobras (got my first ride in one from him), vintage Ferraris, Roll-Royce, Mercedes, etc. Many worth in the millions after he was done.

I transported cars for him for about three years...1988-1991. Went to many of the big shows with his restos... Pebble Beach, Amelia Island, etc.

I remember the first full resto he did... a 1930's Packard Phaeton. The car was a tottaly different shade of red than original but it was the color the customer wanted. He shipped it to a show in Florida where it won Best of Show despite being the wrong shade of red.

He had a Facel-Vega in one time for collision damage to the RF fender. His guys built a new fender using the traditional old school machines from the 1930's. One of his power hammers came out of a MIG airplane factory in Poland.

He has done a few Jaguar SS 100's and the first one was nearly done and it was invited to the big Jaguar owners club show. The car was complete except for wiring and headlights... he had been on a multi year search for headlights to no avail. He told the owner he could fake the wiring by cloth wrapping modern plastic wires (which he did) but he only had a pair of Rolls Royce headlights in stock. They decided "close enough" and mounted the Rolls headlights and shipped the car south.

The car got Best of Show... with the wrong lights!

He bought and sold hundreds of cars over the years. At one point he had a financial partner who was the largest collector of Mercedes 300 SL cars in the world. IIRC he owned 18 roadsters and 20-some Gull Wing coupes. He also had three restoration shops spread out over the US.

My brother had as many as 18 workers in his shop at one point. Today he operates in a small garage behind his house in Milwaukee his youngest son being the only employee. He recently finished a frame off on another SS100 and now has a '55 Jaguar 140M in his good hands.

When I was a kid he drove a '55 Chevy Bel-Air with a four barrel three on the tree...then a '55 Jag (that we took to Road America at 146 mph!).... good memories.

Last edited:
I remember when CudaDad dropped off his 69 B5 A57. He had a resto thread going at the time but decided to turn it over to GYC. He posted a picture of Worman shaking his hand at the turnover.
Pretty sure it has been 8 YEARS!
I'd catch a glimpse of the car in the background once in a while. I think the last promise date was July 1, 2020.
Pissed me off that Worman moved other cars ahead of his. 8 years!? Like Tony's wife's purple car zoomed right to the front of the line. Really???
Now he's talking up the 'cuda like it's the greatest thing since pistol grip shifters.
The only way I can watch that show is to record it and FF through all the nonsense like all those cartoons and movie trivia. I really have to talk myself into watching it sometimes. The latest show was better but I still cuss him out loud.

But the Cuda will be pretty nice when finally done.

My shop is 70 miles north of GYC and they are not well liked among the local restorers and hobbyists. They do not participate, sponsor or support any local events or programs.

Read their reviews on Google to see how they treat their fans. As always, there are good celebrities and bad ones.

Semper Fi brother

In my local mopar group there is a really nice 69 Charger that was restored by GYC, it is really nice, not thrilling but really nice. I have a 2nd hand account, from that owner. There has been several problems and missing parts with the completed restoration. Besides delay (couple weeks) in reimbursement and replacement parts being sent out, it sounds like GYC is standing behind their work.

On a different note, I also struggle to watch the show because of Worman. However, I will watch for the Barracuda

i have heard others say that there are other mopar resto shops. how do you find other shops that specialize in mopars? i'm sure the West Coast has a number of specialty shops for mopars but i don't know of any on the East Coast or South. i live in Pittsburgh, PA and have a collection of 68-69 Barracudas. i would love to find a shop that i could trust my cars with. i recently was going to take the rare big-block K-member that's going on my 69 M-Code Cuda to a shop to have it powder-coated flat black. but i changed my mind at the last minute and made up an excuse not to take it to the guy because i was having nightmares about the guy losing the part or selling it or coming up with some "i don't know what happened to it" excuse after he found out what the part was worth.

if you know of a good mopar restoration shop within driving distance of Pittsburgh, please let me know.
You might want to contact Russell's Auto Body and Frame Shop in Charleroi. Russell has been working on MOPARs for a very long time. He raced them at various tracks back in the day. He put a new quarter panel and trunk extension on my 1970 Challenger R/T convertible then matched the paint on the car in addition to repainting the bumble bee stripe. When my car was there he was working on an A12 Road Runner that I saw in his shop. I was happy with the work but it took longer than I expected. So if you're not in a hurry he may be the person to go to. He's done many MOPARs. As far as restoring your 69 M-code Cuda to true factory specs (assembly line markings, etc.), I don't know how adept his knowledge is on that. His shop is located just off of Route 70 South (past Belle Vernon), the second exit after going over the Route 70 bridge near Charleroi. Here's his info:
Phone
(724) 489 4101

Fax
(724) 489 1105

Email
russellsbodyandframe@gmail.com

Address
886 Twilight Hollow Road
Charleroi PA, 15022

Good luck!

You might want to contact Russell's Auto Body and Frame Shop in Charleroi. Russell has been working on MOPARs for a very long time. He raced them at various tracks back in the day. He put a new quarter panel and trunk extension on my 1970 Challenger R/T convertible then matched the paint on the car in addition to repainting the bumble bee stripe. When my car was there he was working on an A12 Road Runner that I saw in his shop. I was happy with the work but it took longer than I expected. So if you're not in a hurry he may be the person to go to. He's done many MOPARs. As far as restoring your 69 M-code Cuda to true factory specs (assembly line markings, etc.), I don't know how adept his knowledge is on that. His shop is located just off of Route 70 South (past Belle Vernon), the second exit after going over the Route 70 bridge near Charleroi. Here's his info:
Phone
(724) 489 4101

Fax
(724) 489 1105

Email
russellsbodyandframe@gmail.com

Address
886 Twilight Hollow Road
Charleroi PA, 15022

Good luck!

hi curt... thank you for the info on Russell's body shop. i am only about 45 minutes from Charleroi and could visit his shop. i will definitely send him a message to see if he is still doing work.

That was my Dodge Dakota haha. My son Mike and his pal Zach were the young guys that came down. I would have liked to ride along and met you but the Dakota doesn't have a lot of room and I was putting my 340 together.

hi kork340... LOL! it is too cool you are Mike's dad!! i had a great time with both Mike and Zach talking about old mopars and a little "conservative" politics.. LOL! i was able to get Zach some additional parts he needed for his Dart off of one of the parts cars i just bought. Mike also gave me the information you had written down about the guy in Texas who has some Barracudas in his junkyard. i'm going to give him a call to see what he has. i now have 7 Barracudas and am always interested in good parts or even whole cars.

the car shows will be starting soon and i just bought a 2021 RT Challenger Scat Pack 6 speed to drive to some shows around Pittsburgh. maybe i'll catch you at one north of Pittsburgh? take car and thanks for the Texas info. i told Zach to keep in touch if he needed more parts.

hi kork340... LOL! it is too cool you are Mike's dad!! i had a great time with both Mike and Zach talking about old mopars and a little "conservative" politics.. LOL! i was able to get Zach some additional parts he needed for his Dart off of one of the parts cars i just bought. Mike also gave me the information you had written down about the guy in Texas who has some Barracudas in his junkyard. i'm going to give him a call to see what he has. i now have 7 Barracudas and am always interested in good parts or even whole cars.

the car shows will be starting soon and i just bought a 2021 RT Challenger Scat Pack 6 speed to drive to some shows around Pittsburgh. maybe i'll catch you at one north of Pittsburgh? take car and thanks for the Texas info. i told Zach to keep in touch if he needed more parts.

Mike and Zach both said they enjoyed meeting and talking with you. If you are up this way message me. I am going to try and get to Keystone a few times this year. Like the NSS program they run. I usually try to get there at least once a year for their Mopar weekend. I work every third weekend so hopefully it falls on one of my off ones.

Mike and Zach both said they enjoyed meeting and talking with you. If you are up this way message me. I am going to try and get to Keystone a few times this year. Like the NSS program they run. I usually try to get there at least once a year for their Mopar weekend. I work every third weekend so hopefully it falls on one of my off ones.

hi kork... is Keystone the drag strip near you? when do they start running for the summer? i would love to run my Challenger once just to see what kind of times i could get.

hi kork... is Keystone the drag strip near you? when do they start running for the summer? i would love to run my Challenger once just to see what kind of times i could get.
Keystone Raceway Park right outside of Blairsville. 538 Stone Jug Rd New Alexandria, Pa 15670
724-688-7600
I don't think they will open until May.
I saw a schedule on Facebook but their website isn't updated as of yet.

There is also Freebird Dragway near Steubenville

Keystone Raceway Park right outside of Blairsville. 538 Stone Jug Rd New Alexandria, Pa 15670
724-688-7600
I don't think they will open until May.
I saw a schedule on Facebook but their website isn't updated as of yet.

Sadly, there appear to be no Drag strips close to Pittsburgh. Keystone is about 2 hours East of Pittsburgh and the Steubenville Ohio track is probably 2 hours West. maybe someday a Drag strip will come back to my area of Southwestern PA.

Sadly, there appear to be no Drag strips close to Pittsburgh. Keystone is about 2 hours East of Pittsburgh and the Steubenville Ohio track is probably 2 hours West. maybe someday a Drag strip will come back to my area of Southwestern PA.

For me in Finleyville, 57 minutes. 43 toll road to I-70 to 66 toll road to 22. I don't hit a traffic light til 22. Stay off the Parkway and 22.

-
Back