Out with SS springs and in with?????

-

twister360

Reaction score
74 Duster with SS springs in the rear. It was too high so I added lowering blocks and ride height is OK, but very stiff. I want to pull SS and blocks and replace with standard springs. I know PST offers some as well as Hotchkis. Any others and what do you all think

Thanks Gary

Good thread. I have 6 cyl springs in mine, and want to buy springs to clear the L-60x15 tires, but i dont want the car jacked up too high. Afco has Springs for the A body on summits website. was looking at those.

Just spoke to Afco and placed the order for springs. Part number 20231HDRF $197.00 USD

SS springs are suppose to be stiff...They are for racing....

I have the hotchkis springs in my 68 cuda. car sits level. its definitely a smoother ride, car handles much better, and there is less road noise in the cabin. and my pinion angle is much better...i would recommend these springs.

A few years back I installed new leaf springs in my (ah-hem... 81 Firebird) jacked the back-end WAY UP and a super stiff ride... C.D.s would skip, the rear view mirror fell off the wind-shield like 3 times... rail road tracks??!! Oh man... you want to enjoy cruising... shouldn't be a chore.

Check out Mancini ex-hd
I have a set on my duster, they are +1" so I just added a lowering block to get the car to set the way I wanted.

I'm also getting springs soon. I got the local spring shop Hemi 6 leafs on the other '67. Yes still stiff now, made in '85. How much are the ESPO's and are they just stock replacements ? Would you get those or Hodgkiss. They claim more progress spring rate. I know leafs are inherintly progessive rate.
Was going to get the full caltrac setup, but thinking of that with Hodgkiss springs. '67 f/b 440, 727. Any help/suggestions, only want to do this once, thanks C300

Anybody ever talk to Deaver Springs about this? Pretty popular in the off road world. Would imagine that if someone took the time to weigh the car and work with them they would end up with a nice set of springs.....

I have the hotchkis springs in my 68 cuda. car sits level. its definitely a smoother ride, car handles much better, and there is less road noise in the cabin. and my pinion angle is much better...i would recommend these springs.

Does the car hook good with the hotchkis leafs? I've been considering ditching my SS springs for them and our motors make similar power.

don't rule out a four link rear! i fought leafs for years and finally went four link and it is by far the way to go. especially in the ride dept,no spring will match it. price it and weigh it out.

ESPO or Springs N Things will build just about any spring you want for your A Body. They do not list A Body springs on their site, so just call them.

A few years ago I rebuilt suspension under my ’67 rag top Dart mimicking the Cuda S package. I removed a beat to hell set of SS springs and coil over shocks all with useless bushings, and replaced with ESPO six lief stock ride springs. Six lief springs are about as stiff as stock 4 or 5 lief, but because of the way leafs lay up the handling is improved. You can have these built to 1 or 2 inches lower than stock up to 2 to 3 inches higher than stock, and a choice of bushing material.

Give them a call they are very helpful. Also they have other suspension items you may need.

Does the car hook good with the hotchkis leafs? I've been considering ditching my SS springs for them and our motors make similar power.

i havent been to the track, but yes, on the street, i did notice more traction under aggressive acceleration...

don't rule out a four link rear! i fought leafs for years and finally went four link and it is by far the way to go. especially in the ride dept,no spring will match it. price it and weigh it out.

What is involved in going with the 4 link set up? I would like to know what goes out and what goes in. Price?

Thanks Gary

-
Back