Out with the old (white fender)

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
20 to 30 years ago my dad grazed a pole with his left front fender. Bent the bumper, headlight bezel, front grill, and enough damage to the left front fender that he replaced the fender with a used one from the wrecking yard. It was white and a bit worse for ware but able to hold a headlight. over the years he found a better green fender but for some reason never had it installed and painted. I acquired the Dart last May and and just got the green fender back fro the body shop. Here are a few photos of the replacement. My daughter is doing the majority of the work turning wrenches and sanding and scraping the old adhesive. (who knew they put an adhesive between the fender and the inner fender) both the used white fender and the OE inner fender panel have it but it is not the same pattern on either. I only had problems with two bolts, One bumper bolt ( I have 8 OE spares so no harm no foul), and the bolt that screws in to the lower fender support rod. (nothing a drill and a tap cant fix)

The photo of the new fender on the car is only a test fit and the gaps are all wrong. I will post finish photos tomorrow assuming all goes well and yes the color is a bit off (too much flop) but it is much better than the white fender and it is really hard to color match a 30 year old single stage repaint job that is faded and in need of buffing etc!

side note: the tires are 10 years old! Yes I'm going to replace them ;^)

Enjoy!
IMG_0027 mod.jpg
IMG_0030.JPG
IMG_0031 mod.jpg
IMG_0032mod.jpg

IMG_0037.JPG
IMG_0040.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0057.JPG
IMG_0061.JPG

Nice : Get the children ,involved.. Make them appreciate a solid work ethic. Sweet car ,B.T.W..

What you saw between the fender apron and fender was a body caulk, not adhesive. The purpose was to keep road grime from oozing up into the engine compartment.

What you saw between the fender apron and fender was a body caulk, not adhesive. The purpose was to keep road grime from oozing up into the engine compartment.

Thanks for the info. It was hard like old adhesive hence my confusion, is there a modern product that you can recommend?

Nice : Get the children ,involved.. Make them appreciate a solid work ethic. Sweet car ,B.T.W..

She has been helping or doing her own car repair since she was 12. First repair was a water pump on a F@&d, to date she has done diff oil replacement on front and rear diff on a Jeep Grand Cherokee, transfer case oil change, brakes on various vehicles, radiator bypass hose on same jeep and more.

She has been helping or doing her own car repair since she was 12. First repair was a water pump on a F@&d, to date she has done diff oil replacement on front and rear diff on a Jeep Grand Cherokee, transfer case oil change, brakes on various vehicles, radiator bypass hose on same jeep and more.
Just awesome....

Thanks for the info. It was hard like old adhesive hence my confusion, is there a modern product that you can recommend?
I would consider checking with an automotive paint supply store. I use a 3M seam sealer in a caulking tube. Sorry, I do to have an exact part or model #.

(who knew they put an adhesive between the fender and the inner fender)

I did. :D
Just a hint, you might want to pack those hood lift springs with some heavy wheel bearing grease while the fender is off.
Those things make a hell of a noise opening and closing the hood when they are dry.:D

fender.jpg

I did. :D
Just a hint, you might want to pack those hood lift springs with some heavy wheel bearing grease while the fender is off.
Those things make a hell of a noise opening and closing the hood when they are dry.:D

View attachment 1715107712
Done! Thanks

They were hard to get the hood started down, the hinge would arc out on both sides. The left side now works 1000% better. dont really want to remove the right fender to do the same so i will try to get some lube on them from above.

Any thoughts.... this is the order we were thinking to reassemble the fender?
Mount fender, adjust body lines and gaps, mount GT and V8 badges (could be done first), attach splash shield, attach weatherstripping, undercoat?

We just got done bagging all the hardware. I might have JUST enough usable upper fender trim clips. Anyone have any 67 GT clips they want to get rid of? If push comes to shove I might try 3D printing some! ( I have searched the typical online sources and no one makes them that I can find)

-
Back