Outdoor winter storage

-

pgkeating

Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas for storage? I find myself w/o a (garage) spot for one of my cars. It can be in the driveway, but wondering what others do to thwart weather and creatures?

I heard of "bagging" a car. Anyone have insight as to how well this worked and where did they get their "bag"?

Thanks,

PK

For $200 after taxes :D this has been up for 3 years and has been threw hell Ice storms and small limbs falling on it that would have scared up my 66 Valiant Victoria.
This was a great investment and it is still doing it's job. :coffee2:
I lay a plastic tarp down in the winter as a vapor barrier and I leave it open for ventilation. Sam's Club..

Attachments

• let%20it%20rain%20014.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 252
  • THIS%20IS%20BUDDY%20MY%20NEW%20BUD%20052.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 241
  • SUPER%20BOWL%20IVIV%202010%20024.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 234
  • 4390dual%20exhaust%20003.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 243
  • 4390dual%20exhaust%20004.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 246
  • let%20it%20rain%20150.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 242
  • Spring 2011 236.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 247
Now Mike, why would you get kicked out?? Interested to see what is said about the bag........

Now Mike, why would you get kicked out?? Interested to see what is said about the bag........

My guess would be a stack of adult books (every guy has them), a 6-pack, some tackle, oh and the all closest locations so he can rent a room for the night as well as a change of cloths.

Memike has the right idea. I used one ofthese car tents for my GTX. Two words of caution. Critters like them as well so heads up. If you get any amount of snow knock it off right away. I used a shop push broom from the inside. A couple of years ago a young lady was killed here in Canada while helping her mother knock off heavy wet snow and the car tent caved in from the weight of the snow. Very sad story. In the past I have used two good quality car covers and a tarplin (poly tarp). Wind is your problem here so snug it up as not to rub you car. If you can put a small watt light in the car safely and leave it on. Tent or tarp. RV supply companies make a nice winter heater for about $30.00. It stop the wet rot and slime but, keep the critter cozy....lol

yupp memike is correct with the garage in a box, sometimes you can find them second hand but never used for cheap (under $100) for us poor guys it sure beats the elements sitting on our cars

I have to agree with Brad this man is wise the only thing i would add and it sounds silly but it works and its OK if you laugh.But before winter hit it with a nice coating of armor all with UV protect ant.It will help snow slide off and it helps tent last longer.I have got 5 years out of one tent before high winds sent it crashing to pieces.Thank the Mopar gods my car was in a garage at my buddy's house.

What condition is the car? Driver?

I would just give it a nice coat of wax and leave it outside with NO cover. Covers used outside are usually not good for a car, lets moisture build up, and if its windy, the cover/tarp will scratch your paint. If you have nice wheels/tires cover them or put on another set.

Interior, put alot of laundry dryer sheets in the interior and trunk, it keeps the mice out and works great, plus your car will smell nice come spring time. Make sure your floor vents and defrost vents are closed and flip your sunvisors straight down (mice like to nest here if you don't), also if you have the shoulder belts that clip to the roof let them hang down too. If you have alot of mice you can put some sticky traps inside the car but check them often so if you get one you can get rid of it. Also vacuum the car out good so it is clean.

Keep the sun out...use a sun-shade for the dash or I just cut cardboard to fit, also use a cover on the rear seat/package tray, even the sides too.

You live north east? They get lots of heavy snow, a portable garage/shelter may colapse on your car, you will need to clean the snow off regulary. I have always wanted to use one of these shelters but am afraid it will blow away, besure to anchor it down good. If you do use a shelter, I would still do the things I mentioned earlier.

The bag holds :D Well it is set up with a nice small one man survival tent, sleeping bag 2 bic lighters 9mm ammo wool socks full face cover, cloves 20lb fishing line and hooks a shovel and hand ax( seen on the out side) and a rabbit distress call compass and a roll of duck tape :D
Why= Therapy :D and watching from the outside who was cooking crack close by, I would wake up in the mornings and smell it..... They was from Memphis and using grandma's property, they are gone know :D
No mention of the pair of fighting/defensive sticks :coffee2:

My guess would be a stack of adult books (every guy has them), a 6-pack, some tackle, oh and the all closest locations so he can rent a room for the night as well as a change of cloths.
Tackle yes, Beer and Tequila was carried out to my brush area earlier :D
It's 12 miles to the closest hotel room, na, no adult books :D

Memike has the right idea. I used one ofthese car tents for my GTX. Two words of caution. Critters like them as well so heads up. If you get any amount of snow knock it off right away. I used a shop push broom from the inside. A couple of years ago a young lady was killed here in Canada while helping her mother knock off heavy wet snow and the car tent caved in from the weight of the snow. Very sad story. In the past I have used two good quality car covers and a tarplin (poly tarp). Wind is your problem here so snug it up as not to rub you car. If you can put a small watt light in the car safely and leave it on. Tent or tarp. RV supply companies make a nice winter heater for about $30.00. It stop the wet rot and slime but, keep the critter cozy....lol
Yes! You will need to keep an eye on the snow build up, and I am lucky that I have trees to tie it down to, The pallet you see I have it tied to along with my own ankers (how ever you spell it), each leg has two tie down holes and I used screw in the ground type like used for dog leashes.
as you can see it is on a side of a hill and drains all water out.
I drive here year around and she gets aired out.
I have not got a shop built yet :coffee2: This has taken good care of Victoria.

What condition is the car? Driver?

I would just give it a nice coat of wax and leave it outside with NO cover. Covers used outside are uaually not good for a car, lets moisture build up, and if its windy, the cover/tarp will scratch your paint. If you have nice wheels/tires cover them or put on another set.

Interior, put alot of laundry dryer sheets in the interior and trunk, it keeps the mice out and works great, plus your car will smell nice come spring time. Make sure your floor vents and defrost vents are closed and flip your sunvisors straight down (mice like to nest here if you don't), also if you have the shoulder belts that clip to the roof let them hang down too. If you have alot of mice you can put some sticky traps inside the car but check them often so if you get one you can get rid of it. Also vacuum the car out good so it is clean.

Keep the sun out...use a sun-shade for the dash or I just cut cardboard to fit, also use a cover on the rear seat/package tray, even the sides too.

You live north east? They get lots of heavy snow, a portable garage/shelter may colapse on your car, you will need to clean the snow off regulary. I have always wanted to use one of these shelters but am afraid it will blow away, besure to anchor it down good. If you do use a shelter, I would still do the things I mentioned earlier.

If I did store Victoria this is a must do what you said, and cover the cowl vent outside the windshield behind the hood, Thank you 66340SEDAN all great advice here pgkeating :coffee2:

for your input.

Anything I do will be on the pavement of my driveway. It will be backed right up to the garage door. My driveway is slightly sloped, so moisture should flow away from the (garage), and out from under the car. So the problem with a pole style tent is that I can't stake it down.

Here's what my Google search showed....

http://www.autoanything.com/car-covers/65A3648A0A0.aspx

Just curious if anybody used one of these?

PK

I have a similar style set up as memike. He just has more little door and windows. Mine is just the front zip up doors. I just got some twist in stakes to go in the the ground and ratchet strapped it down. Held up to the good Michigan winter.

With so many bussines going under you might find some place--like an old factory/warehouse that has OK prices.

Here in Detroit its $90 a month for inside storage, non-heated but its an old GM factory with wood floors and thick brick walls.

Down South those tents are great until a 50 mph plus wind storm comes in. Maybe some places its not so windy.

I have to agree with Brad this man is wise the only thing i would add and it sounds silly but it works and its OK if you laugh.But before winter hit it with a nice coating of armor all with UV protect ant.It will help snow slide off and it helps tent last longer.I have got 5 years out of one tent before high winds sent it crashing to pieces.Thank the Mopar gods my car was in a garage at my buddy's house.

All good info guys. I want to go live with Mikie in his man cave...I'll bring the beer....Canadian beer...LOL. Nice to learn about the dryer sheets, thank you. The only good critters are ones that fry up.

I put mt car in storage in a building in winter, and put my shelter logic on in spring and off in winter, if you do not it sweats like crazy in winter, and way to much snow here in New Brunswick Canada.

the car bag is indoor only(?) Must be a west coast thing.

I was thinking it would be a good means of keeping out the critters, as well as the weather & being a ground cloth all at once.

To answer, yeah, both cars are drivers, but I still feel like I'm the keeper of these time capsules, so I need to do my part for preservation. Also, looking out the window at a 43 year old car in the snow would just kill me.

Maybe I need to rethink and look into a "real" winter storage place.

Thanks all for your inputs. The dryer sheets "thing" is something I will use regardless.

PK

the car bag is indoor only(?) Must be a west coast thing.

I was thinking it would be a good means of keeping out the critters, as well as the weather & being a ground cloth all at once.

To answer, yeah, both cars are drivers, but I still feel like I'm the keeper of these time capsules, so I need to do my part for preservation. Also, looking out the window at a 43 year old car in the snow would just kill me.

Maybe I need to rethink and look into a "real" winter storage place.

Thanks all for your inputs. The dryer sheets "thing" is something I will use regardless.

PK

I source out alot of my storage to on the cars I want to keep in good shape, I found a guy who has indoor storage for $25 a month (not heated) I also use one of those garage in-a-box things like mike has to keep projects out of the snow bank

I have friends who have used their car bags outside without any problems with mice or anything getting inside. Cars came out clean and dry in the spring.

Guess I should count my blessings I live where I do and don't have to worry about hybernating for the winter !!!

-
Back