Outside Door handle adjustment

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
Why hello everyone!

I started to reassemble the car after paint and have all the new paint gaskets going on. Well I installed new ones on the outside door handle of my 71 Scamp. Bolted the door in and tried it out. It would not unlock the latch. I had to open it from the inside. I've looked and look and there does not seem to be any sort of adjustment. It appears that the bar from the handle to the latch is not long enough. Does anyone have any ideas? Everything worked prior to me removing the handle

like you said there is no adjustment. make sure it is set on the round pins and the clips are properly fastened.
Make sure the push button and screw holding the button to the door handle is properly attached. There is a notch that the button support goes over and latches on then the screw secures it.

Ive checked all that and it all seems to be good and in the correct spots. Hmmm Im stumped!

Has anyone else ever ran into this?

In the side of the door is a little hole. An allen wrench goes through that hole to loosen the adjust. I forget what size allen and which way to move it but that's where it is at least.

When all the parts were new the springs and things would cause this to self adjust. You would simply press the button and slide your thumb off sideways and let it free return, then tighten the screw.
Today there is a scar from the set screw allong with corrosion on the parts so they dont move so easy.

In the side of the door is a little hole. An allen wrench goes through that hole to loosen the adjust. I forget what size allen and which way to move it but that's where it is at least.

When all the parts were new the springs and things would cause this to self adjust. You would simply press the button and slide your thumb off sideways and let it free return, then tighten the screw.
Today there is a scar from the set screw allong with corrosion on the parts so they dont move so easy.

So this is on the latch mechanism for the door itself?

The adjustment hole is several inches above the latch mechanism on my 72 door.

Might be the only hole you'll find in a door that doesn't have a plug from the factory. About half way between latch and door hamdle.

Might be the only hole you'll find in a door that doesn't have a plug from the factory. About half way between latch and door hamdle.

I know the hole your talking about! So with the allen wrench. I just turn it one way or the other and it should adjust the latch for me?

Its a set screw, you loosen it, adjust total length of the rod, retighten.

-
Back