Overdrive or don't worry about it? !

-
Good morning everyone!
Some of you might know I'm doing a big build on my 1968 Barracuda. .....currently having a 318/392 stroker built over at IMM Engines. .....

So, Freeway driving. .....
I'm seriously considering an overdrive for cruising the highway.
Or, do I really need one?

Only really want to freeway drive a few times a year.....maybe 100 - 200 mile trip or two (each way) a year.....the rest of the time would just be romping around town.

When I'm on the freeway I don't want to limit myself to 55-60mph....I'd get run over here in Southern California! It would be more like 70-75mph.

So, do I really need to worry about an overdrive?
Would driving at 3000 - 3500 RPM a few times a year really be all that hard on my engine?

I'm probably way over thinking this but I value all your opinions.

Gratuitous photo of said 'Cuda

View attachment 1715741543

Jeff
If it were I..... it would be an A-500 4 spd OD.
Custom LU converter and a gear set to work with the goal of quick 1/4 mile times. 4.10’s to 4.30’s max for the street strip effort and the. Slip into the OD gear for the ride home.

Rear gear ratio x OD ratio equals OD ratio for the Hwy cruise.

2004R. I threw the coals to a few of them when I was into the Buick Turbo cars. But you need someone who knows how to make them last and it will cost a bit. TV Cable is no reason to not use the tranny IMO. Just part of the Hotrod life lol.... A guy on the board local to me (supertruck) put one in his Dart sport and would be a good ear to bend. Solid guy with good mechanical skill.

The GV is a killer piece and simplistic however from what I have read on here it a bit of a tussle to make it fit.

Either way you will want OD for Highway cruising.

JW

I'm on board with the GM 200 transmission. Smaller, lighter and will take the punishment. BUT, it does need the throttle cable hooked up and operating. I don't know where you came up that it doesn't. It does.

There's the SST A41 with OD, have you looked into that? It's a 4sp with OD, on a B body it doesn't involve cutting anything up.

I'm on board with the GM 200 transmission. Smaller, lighter and will take the punishment. BUT, it does need the throttle cable hooked up and operating. I don't know where you came up that it doesn't. It does.
Thanks....somehow I got it in my head they used a vacuum line instead...

Jeff

Looking at the Gear Vendors website. ... $2800ish.....and I get to keep my 727 I have so much blood sweat and tears into (many of you might remember my 727 build!).
My 727 is working perfectly these days and I consider it bulletproof.

99.9% going Gear Vendors!

Jeff

Fuel injection preferably via a Holley system followed by overdrive with a .67 or similar overdrive ratio are the two best upgrades you can do for your car.

I drove a buddies car with a gear vendors on a 727, and while it's better than nothing, it's just not enough of an overdrive improvement to justify the cost in my book.

This assumes you've upgraded to at least front disc brakes, rebuilt/upgraded the suspension and bought some decent shocks. A US Cartool chassis stiffening kit is a big plus too.

-
Back