Overdrive Transmission Question

-

courvillejustin

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm tackling the issue of improving fuel economy in my 69 Dart. My question is I am looking into getting an Overdrive Tranny and was curious what vehicle would be best to pull it out of? I currently have a 68 318 in the car now with a 904. Thanks in advance.

The 500/518 Mopar will not fit without extensive mods to the transmission crossmember/ torsion bar anchor area.

As mentioned an A500 (which is the only Mopar trans. I'd consider for a 318) takes quite a bit of work to make fit into an A-body. And unless you already have one that's good you'll probably pay a pretty hefty sum for a core than have to rebuild it. The only way you'll be able to gain anything is if your able to do all the work yourself. The Gearvendors is a great unit but at $3500 is quite pricey. Overdrive is great but the cost and work involved isn't unless you drive several thousand miles a year.

If you are still interested a non computerized A500 can be found in 92-95 Dakota's and Rams and 1/2 ton vans that had V6's.

Do a search on here for overdrive and/or A500 or A518 and there are numerous threads that'll show you what's involved.

I thought it was the 518 that was the real pita and that the a500 was more of a reasonable swap?

Also, i've seen some threads on here where people used an adapter plate to do a 700r4 or even a 200r4 swap. I guess these trannies are smaller a fit in the tunnel a little bit better.

I've got the same setup but my rear gears are 2.76. 22 MPG
DSC_0183.jpg

I thought it was the 518 that was the real pita and that the a500 was more of a reasonable swap?

Also, i've seen some threads on here where people used an adapter plate to do a 700r4 or even a 200r4 swap. I guess these trannies are smaller a fit in the tunnel a little bit better.
The 700r4 requires tunnel work. The 200r4 doesn't (it's also smaller then a 727).

a GV unit isn't 3500 I paid 2800 for mine a few months ago. but I picked it up no shipping cost

Their both a PITA because the OD unit is the same on both. The A500 is slightly shorter but not enough to make much difference. The 200R4 is the only one that doesn't require a lot of surgery to get it to fit.

a GV unit isn't 3500 I paid 2800 for mine a few months ago. but I picked it up no shipping cost

Ok. It's been a year or longer since I looked. Still $2800 is a bunch of money. Figure extra's like fluid and getting the driveshaft shortened and your over $3000. My point was you'd have to do a bunch of driving to save $3000 on fuel. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it at all cause it's a great product and makes the car drive much better I'm sure. Just saying it's not cheap at all and it'd be hard to save anything going to it unless you drive a lot and plan on keeping the car for several yrs.

If you're looking to really save fuel, a Gear Vendors isn't the best way to go. If you've got a rareish car that you don't want to cut up, then go for it. Otherwise, go for the 500/518, a better overdrive and you get lock up.

I can tell you a GM4l80e will fit........with alot of surgery.......

Ok. It's been a year or longer since I looked. Still $2800 is a bunch of money. Figure extra's like fluid and getting the driveshaft shortened and your over $3000. My point was you'd have to do a bunch of driving to save $3000 on fuel. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it at all cause it's a great product and makes the car drive much better I'm sure. Just saying it's not cheap at all and it'd be hard to save anything going to it unless you drive a lot and plan on keeping the car for several yrs.

I can do better than that on a gv, and shortening a shaft is $75 pretty much everywhere.

If you're looking to really save fuel, a Gear Vendors isn't the best way to go. If you've got a rareish car that you don't want to cut up, then go for it. Otherwise, go for the 500/518, a better overdrive and you get lock up.

How do you figure, the gv can engage in 1st, which is already now overdriving 2nd and 3rd, saving more fuel than the 500 and there is no locking unlocking and hunting with the gv like there is with a 500.... the 500 only works after 3rd, the gv can be switched on and start lowering the work performed way earlier than the 500

I have a few gv's and a few 500 and 518's, the gv's can pay for themselves in less than a year. . .

The GV can be removed and used in another car when you sell the one it's in or just want to put it in something else.

-
Back