Overheating race car

-

tomsduster

Reaction score
I have a tube chassis duster with a 800hp bb. IT has a csr elec water pump and a 4 core alum. rad. with a 1250 scfm electric fan. If the temp is above 80 out the car will start to run hot 215deg. It dosen't like that. What is a good radiator to buy or any other suggestions. Thanks.

How about a lower thermostat, lower heat plug gapped more, run alcohol, less initial timing with a matching recurve?

Does it run hot down the road or in traffic??

What thermostat are you running?

Any shroud on the radiator.

Pusher or puller fan?

Do you use water wetter or royal purple coolant. they significantly help waters ability to dissapate heat a good 20 %

I think 4 core rads are highly overrated - they have trouble getting out of their own way. You might consider a 3 core that will offer quicker air flow through, if that makes any sense to you. I have a friend that runs a 426 hemi SS/A (about 550-600 HP) and he uses a 6 cylinder rad. I think it's a combination of air flow and retention time in the rad for the air to be able to cool the liquid.
Just my two cents worth.................
Daryl

I don,t run a thermostat in my 410(alumi heads and waterpump)also a 318 2 core rad with 7 blade clutch fan.My car has a hard time heating up in 80 degree weather.I also use BeCool additive to my water.I,ve made 4 passes before I reached 180*.

I use a CSR wp also, have you tried going to a smaller restriction disc in the t/stat . Slowing down water movement will allow more time in the rad to cool!

www.mahaffeymotorsports.com

He built a shroud to cover 100% of radiator w/ dual fans. Send him the specs/rad etc. Highly recommend.

Attachments

• fan shroud 009.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 171
  • fan shroud 012.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 177
  • fan shroud 018.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 196
That shroud is KILLER. I love it! HOW MUCH?

As stated before your 1250 cfm is a joke. It is for a trans cooler not a engine. You need a 2500 cfm fan or bigger.

Flex-a-lite makes a awesome fan called Black Magic X-treme. It's a puller and flows 3300 cfm. Looked it on Jeg's and the part#400-180. Father In-Law has one and when he turns it on you can really feel the air move.

I think a little more info is needed on the motor for people here to give you a better direction to look I feel the fan isnt sufficient as well But other stuff can contribute

-
Back