P.O hacked up my inner fenders need repair ideas

-

68valiant400

Reaction score
The old owner of my valiant hacked out the inner fenders to make clearance for fenderwall headers, they are very difficulto to install and need every inch of clearance, so i was thinking of some kind of removable plate or a couple bars from center of firewall to just behind headlights on fender, iam sure theres a better way, so if you could please give me some ideas

thank you

mopar 038.jpg

mopar 037.jpg

Holy crap! Is that structurally sound? I've never seen so much inner fender cut away. I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. That said, on my '75 Duster parts car there are two support rods that go from approximately center of firewall to center of fender where they attach using the same bolt the fender attaches to the inner fender along the top. They are not very beefy and I'm not sure how much support they give. I can send you a picture tomorrow.
C

I am editing my reply because I didn't read your question close enough the first time and now realize you want to keep the fenderwell headers. Don't know why but I thought you wanted to make it back original.

If you want to keep them you don't have much of a choice I don't think. They pretty much need that much fenderwell cut out for clearance. Although I will say the PO did a hack and torch job on it that could have looked alot better. If you don't allready have frame connectors I highly suggest them since they took out some body strength by cutting the inner fenders away.

You can make some sheet metal plates to slip in to cover up the holes better than they are and make them removeable by sheet metal screws. That's about all I can think of.

I would clean up the cuts and make panels that fit in closer to the tubes that can removed.

i think he used a rabid dog to cut out the holes or some sort of explosive to make the holes cuz i can cut better drunk and blind folded, car is still structurly sound and can handle coming down from a small wheel stand, but with my new engine and all the work i've done i think it might start to get weak

I'm sure its still structurely sound. Plenty of cars out there with the same headers pulling the wheels.

Ive seen where people install headers and make a removable plate out of alum. and make them close up to the headers to 'plug' up the hole as much as possible...i cant find the picture. i believe it was on an early abody

my first thing was frame connectors because the 440 made the right hand side come up about 10 inches with pass side maybe 2 inches of ground made it a pretty wild ride, i think iam going with alum plates to cover hack job and maybe 2 bars from center of firewall to front of fenders

Guys use to cut there fender wells all the time for these headers.Some cut a little cleaner than others.

Get some cardboard and make some templates.Find your self some sheet metal or alum and cut them out.Install with some sheet metal screws.

No worries !!!!!!!

Another tip.

Master cylinder heat shield part# P4510634

Keep your brake fluid much cooler.

Picture 680.jpg

If your chassis is flexing that much, you should consider using 14 or 16 ga. steel, tastefully cut and clearanced around the headers. Use hefty sheetmetal screws evenly spaced around the plates. We used the same repair technique on a high-horsepower big block Dart with good results.

Guys use to cut there fender wells all the time for these headers.Some cut a little cleaner than others.

Get some cardboard and make some templates.Find your self some sheet metal or alum and cut them out.Install with some sheet metal screws.

No worries !!!!!!!

Another tip.

Master cylinder heat shield part# P4510634

Keep your brake fluid much cooler.

oh good idea didn't think of a heat shield! thanks is it alum?

While you're working on the RH inner fender, take Johnny Dart's heat shield idea one step further. Make a shield for your fuel pressure regulator. Better yet, relocate the regulator and avoid the hassles with the tech inspector at your local track.

While you're working on the RH inner fender, take Johnny Dart's heat shield idea one step further. Make a shield for your fuel pressure regulator. Better yet, relocate the regulator and avoid the hassles with the tech inspector at your local track.

Dam,Good eye..........:pirate:

yup that was a po thing too, for sure going to move it closer to middle that should help, and i had an idea about taking a lid i have for and air cleaner the ones that are alum and have the short fins for cooling, might take that cut and bend it to make a heat shield???

i like custom over buying but thats just me

You might want to consider moving the fuel pressure regulator to another location off the firewall. Fuel system components are not allowed on the firewall per most racing association rules. In the event of a crash, your regulator could be driven through the firewall, sending pressurized fuel into the cockpit. Find another location. Check out some other race cars for ideas. Just make sure those cars consistantly pass tech.

You should try and get a different Parole Officer, that hack job shouldn't be legal.:-D

You should try and get a different Parole Officer, that hack job shouldn't be legal.:-D

maybe you eyes sight aint so good my post is looking for ideas for repair,

not P.O hacked up my inner fenders need smart *** remarks
try out moparstyle or one of those sites they love it

Damn man, chill out a little. I thought it was kind of funny. Thats the kind of stuff that keeps this site so interesting and upbeat.

maybe you eyes sight aint so good my post is looking for ideas for repair,

not P.O hacked up my inner fenders need smart *** remarks
try out moparstyle or one of those sites they love it

Take it easy please.

lol what a week with girlfriend expecting any day, in my off season for work, and family B. S . I've been stressed to the max and have been very short fused,(guess i should stay of internet when like that) but anyways was sort of funny just in bad mood at the time, no worries in my case P O meant Pissed off,

appreciate the help everyone!

-
Back